Winter Projects

Mustangj

Founding Member
Apr 22, 2001
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
What do you guys have planned for winter projects??

Where did the summer go? I just parked the II for the winter, I kept it out longer last year, but october has been cold and rainy this year :nonono:

My Very Long List of to do's
-Replace Toilet seat bushings (can't handel the shopping cart noise it makes when you hit the brakes or go over a big bump)
-Re-paint all the trim. (all the black trim has pealed back to crusty chrome)
-aim the headlights
-adjust the reverse light switch in the B&M shifter so it does not light-up the back up lights in park (it freaks people out).
-Bravely remove valve cover to locate valve train noise
-tune carb
-replace huge missing grommet beside gas pedal (right shoe gets a little hot)
-replace stabilizer bar bushings because I never got to them. (toilet seat and stabilizer bushing are the loan bushings not replaced) [they voice how worn/old they are on every bump]
-Buy new date code seat belts and build a firewall between the fuel cell and me, so I can pass tech and finnally race the thing!
-find the money to put some 15" wheels on it someway somehow, or at least change the gears to 3:00's (I have 3:55's with 21.5" tall 235/50/13 tires!!)
-fill nitrous bottle
-Mount 3 year old "new" 225/50/15 BFG Drag Radials onto some kind of 15" wheels hopefully 5 bolt Magnum 500's, but at the very least the crusty 4 bolt 15" 10 hole fox wheels that are collecting dust in the garage!
-5 bolt Brake upgrade (please gawd let this be the winter) :D
-Replace jack handle hood prop with kool e-bay hydraulic kit before you scratch the hood or worse your melon!
-But the kool clear headlight covers on (that you bought 2 years ago)
-Fix crude road side fusable link repair for the electic fan(s)
-Replace glazed melty looking fan belt (long story)
-replace grabber blue painted lower rad hose (The last of the "painted by accident" pieces under the hood).
-Check the axles (year two of the mini spool!)
-Replace the hatch catch and allign the hatch.
-adjust the side windows propperly (yes-even if it takes all day)
-Replace the forever rusting paper air cleaner element with a K&N
-Replace nasty looking $3 swap meet Hyundai pony steering Wheel something/anything
-Clean-wax-vaccume everthing
-Paint the one wheel the tire shop guy mangled durring the flat repair. (If you have to suffer another summer with 13" wheels)
-replace missing exhaust tip, so people at car show's stop saying the exhaust looks like a Porsche Boxter (one large oval in the middle, should be two!) one fell off on the highway, should have welded it in place!
-put some form of interior and a stereo in it? (still sporting totally gutted road warrior looking interior complete with nasty rat-poop torn Lynx GT seats)
-replace dog chewed looking roll bar padding.

Wish me luck :D Hope I get to at least half of the list:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Main winter project I know of is to drop the radiator a bit, and push it forward, and then run a single Lincoln Mark VIII fan on it to hopefully cure my overheating.

I also want to install my subframe connectors, maybe a paintjob at some point in the future.

I don't have too many major winter projects, I just do whatever comes up when I have time.

the list

Here's my list for the Cobra II:

- install fuel cell
- install limited slip rear
- relocate battery
- subframes
- new seats
- put the cowl on
- remove back seat and smooth that out

Here's the list for the new 77 ghia:

- Wheels
- stereo
- paint
- exhaust

Thats a lot fo work and I will probably get most of it somehow before I leave for bootcamp

drove the car for a few days after the heater core replacement. then after seeing the weather for the next week i decided to put it up on stands for the winter.

clean - paint drive shaft and yolk
heavy duty u-joints
built t-5 5speed
after market or custom built shifter
subframe connectors
repainting exterior trim
weld up exhaust

Wow I have 10 million pictures of the II and not one good one of the fuel cell!
I basically cut a fuel cell size hole in the trunk floor and welded a steel box in there. I kept as much of the original spare tire well as I could for strength. II's have really lumpy floors and this job was too much work! I think if I were to do it again I would put the cell in one of those red steel fuel cell safety boxes cut a big hole, beat the floor straight and bolt the box into the trunk floor. I tried to straighten level and generally make it look pretty, but in the end I painting the whole floor with (cover-all the ugly) liquid box liner! here are some photos to give you an idea. :D

RCI has some really nice aluminum cells with a nice perimeter 1 1/2" flange, perfect for sinking into a floor. (I put one in my friends 87 Supra Turbo Recently). It worked out really well. Another pic of the cell. I framed the hole in the floor with steel square tubing so the fuel cell staps would have something of substance to bolt to. I also left a little pie slice of the old spare tire well to keep my "spare tire in a can" a small fire extiguiser and detail stuff. I tried to out line the boxed section of the floor with red in the last picture. My mufflers now live where the gas tank was and I have Two oval exhaust tips that exit out rear center.

77sleeper said:
my winter project is to go marble flooring in the house :owned: $$$ then to sod the yard, install curbing .........

at least the II has 7% humidity in the garage and the 05 is outside :D

non II- winter projects

- advance to E-3 before I leave for Bootcamp
- Finish the home gym
- continue working on my movie
- Lay new carpet

My winter project is to get the underside of the car done. Remove everything, tranny, gas tank, rear end, etc., rebuild everything / and have trans. rebuilt.

Make decisions about rear suspension, I know I want it lowered a little. Make decision about 8" rear, whether it stays or whether it goes. What to do if it stays. Act upon final decision. Add sub-frame connectors.

Strip, paint and undercoat the underside.
Put it all back together.

After underside is done, start on the interior.

Non II projects. Part out a VW Rabbit. Level out floor in shop, I think I'm slowly sinking. Build cabinets in kitchen.

My list is looking awfull...

--New to me '67 F250 Flatbed
finish replacing rotting flatbed with new pressure treated wood and stainless hardware.
replace points distributer with Duraspark distributor and corresponding electronics.
replace carrier bearing
rebuild carburetor
install 2.5" single exhaust.
replace driver's door and both side mirrors.
find some newer aluminum 16" wheels & tires for cheap.

--'79 Ranchero GT
Finish installing the newly sealed gas tank
replace front calipers
install sliding rear window
make headlight switch work properly
SELL!!!!

--'78 Ranchero GT (parts car setup for 460)
Trade for freshly built set of GT40 heads

--'77 Mach 1
Find a new fuel level sending unit and install the freshly sealed gas tank
replace leaking P/S pressure hose
replace steering coupler with u-joint that won't hit the header
finish sanding the paint covered rust and prime with POR-15 + HOC sealer
put back together so I have an alternate car in case my Eclipse breaks.

--'78 T-Top
remove tank and coat with tank sealer
do something about the interior in the hatch...I don't know what though
retard/advance the cam 4 degrees...whichever direction moves the peak HP to a higher RPM. I figure there's at least 30HP waiting for me at about 5600rpm since the cam was ground with a rotated centerline just to smooth the idle for a low stall torque converter.

IF I make it through all this, then I still have the '78 Coupe that I'd love to have done next year.
-8 AN fuel line install
new aftermarket 2.3L fuel rail
75lb/hr injectors
LM-1 wide band A/F meter
Custom intercooler tanks need built
intercooler piping needs built
3.5" downpipe and 3" exhaust install
hook steering back up
weld new floor into trunk
weld cuts made when rolling the rear wheel wells
weld the original antenna hole and the "mistake" rear antenna hole
completely remove the fender lips up front
finish the dash with custom guages (still need speedo and tach)
find some new black seats
block sand and recoat with HOC sealer
hopefull have it running at that point for some shake down runs to see if any body damage can be incurred (again) by engine movement and tire rubbing.
take it to a paint shop for the final block sanding and base/clear.

Dreaming that all this can be done by July next year even though I just got married, will be signing paperwork for buying the house next week, and just had a roommate move out yesterday.

Swap out rear end for Currie 9 inch
Redo fuel system for -8 AN lines
Aluminum radiator w/ electric fan
And finish building/swap in the engine that these are going on!
afr2.jpg

II projects: 1) finish weatherstripping on the Ghia convertible project; 2) possibly start on restoration of the 77 Cobra; finish building 6 pack induction 289 buildup.

Non-II projects: work on my new car- a 68 Cougar xr7

Attachments

• 1095538448848_IMG_1156.jpg
    1095538448848_IMG_1156.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 103
to do

Ok,
1. i need to change the rims to a different set of tires.
2. reinstall battery shield
3. replace to factory flex fan
4. replace power steering pump
5. spray the exhaust manifolds with nice paint
6. give my altenator to Tim to have him boost it to 110 amps without changing the original housing
:(

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on. My new job has me too busy, but I'm learning a bunch of skills to help me with my IIs (I work at a fabrication shop where I'm the painter/sandblaster) Got access to plenty of steel plus welders (MIG/TIG/Arc), shears,brakes and other neat stuff.

This winter if time permits:

Install 2 new rear quarters on my latest car (1974 that was convertiblized about 10 years ago)

Purchase/install custom leafs for the "Project"

Finish bodywork on the T-top and hopefully paint

Finish bodywork on the '77 Cobra clone and hopefully paint

Rust repair on the Ghia and hopefully paint

Finish building the bogus Boss 302 for the "Bogus Boss" project.

Install 220V and heating in my garage so I can do some of the above :p

Francis

just finished the exhaust. working on rplacing the entire leaky pwr steering system right now. was planning on finishing the enterior at this time, but you all know how things happen. guess it'll be next spring .

Gotta do everything that I didn't get done this summer!
-Finish cleaning and de-rusting the bottom
-Paint the bottom w/Eastwoods rustproofer (like POR-15)
-Reinstall the cleaned transmission
-Reinstall the painted and re-lined gastank
-Reinstall the cleaned and painted exhaust
-Patch hole in drivers rear inner fender
-Reinstall white face guage set & get dashpod w/2 white face guages
-Clean, paint and reinstall interior
-Install new carpet
-Strip, straighten, paint used Enkei wheels (Fox-size)
-New tires for Enkei wheels
-Prep for exterior paint
-Install used MII sunroof
-Strip parts car
-Rebuild engine
-T-5 tranny install

OBVIOUSLY all of this won't get done this Winter...especially considering how little I achieved this Summer. Although I have gathered most of the parts.

Too many things to do at work and around the house. Too many excuses...

More realistically I'll get some basic re-asssembly done so the car is drivable and comfortable again. That will require the bottom painting to get done, reassembly of the trans, exhaust and gastank, and reinstallation of the interior. Painting, patching, and engine rebuild can wait.