Wiring a stereo..not in a mustang..Help Please.

Mike85000

Feb 22, 2007
Hey Guys,

First off, i'll start by saying, i've installed numerous decks and systems in cars and trucks of different makes before. Never had any problems. But here's a new one for me.

Vehicle, 1989 Jeep Cherokee

Problem? Deck will stay on after key is shut off and removed.

The stock harness in it had been chopped up by a previous owner, so painstakingly we tracked down which wires were speaker wires, and Batt +, ACC + etc.

Now we have ended up with a stereo that works just dandy, except it won't shut off.

Now I have checked and double checked the Batt + and ACC + wires, and here's what i found.

When the pigtail is not plugged into the back of the deck, the wire under the dash, has power in the Run or ACC position of the key. When the key is shut off, there is no power. I have verified with a test light about 20x.

BUT, when i connect the pigtail to the deck, all the sudden, when the key gets turned off, there is still power at the so called ACC + wire.

Seems somehow power is being backfed through the deck. I've never had this happen before, and i was sure there was a shoddy connection somewhere. I ditched the wire under the dash in favor of a connection to an ACC marked connection on the fuseblock. Same thing, works jim dandy without the deck plugged in, plug in the deck and power remains after the key is shut off.

I'm pulling my hair out over this one, as nobody wants to have to manually turn the deck off when they get out of their vehicle.

I thought maybe it was one of those scenarios where the door had to be opened before ACC power was cut, but this vehicles is older and doesn't have that feature.

Thanks in advance, I know someone out there knows what to do!

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Nope. Definitely not.

The Yellow (Batt +) wire on the deck is receiving 12V at all times.

The red (ACC +) only has juice with key in Run and ACC, that is, until i plug in the deck. Then the ACC+ seems to magically have power all the time!

I can't figure it out.

I have bought a harness adapter before that was messed like that. but you say you are not useing one because it was hacked...What I would do is go to a scrap yard and cut another plug out of another jeep or most any chrysler and solder and shrink tube it back in and do it the proper way.

I had a car that was hacked and I just ran all new wires so that I wouldnt have to deal with that. if you are not into running new wires I would do like Roland said and grab a new harness from the JY or stereo shop.

Not to sound ungrateful guys, but the hacked up harness isn't really what im asking about.

I'm more interested to know how and ACC power feed could stay on with the key off, with the stereo hooked up.

The only thing i can think of is maybe the deck is set to some demo mode where it stays on until you manually shut it off. I'm going to look at it with fresh eyes again today, go through everything again and i'm sure i'll be able to figure something out.

Hooking up a deck to the stock harness where the plugs have been cut off isn't my first choice, but i've done it before.

The only thing I can think of is that the assy wire and the constant power wires are making contact somewhere. Maybe at the plug on the deck. It only takes 1 little strand of wire to touch where it shouldnt and you have issues.

One other thing I just recalled.. I had a truck that someone wired a noise filter into it. The filter was on a 12volt feed. It had a capacitor that would hold power and keep the radio on for a short period. But it eventually shut off. I removed it once I found it and it quit doing it.

What brand and model deck is it?
Maybe it has a exit feature that needs to be hooked up or deactivated.

I have seen this twice, once was on an Alpine deck, there was a small piece of wire in the plug on the deck that touched both wires. Guess the wire was from stripping the end of a wire and a single strand flew into it. The other was a Dual deck that was just screwed up, bad power supply.

As a side note I would check to see if another wire has acc only power. In the old Jensen Jeep sound systems the amps turn on was just an acc wire, not a signal from the deck. If you used that wire you would get a power loop through the factory amp.

Alright guys, thanks for the help. Turns out the jeep harness has 2 wires for illumination, one for panel illumination and one for LCD illumination. Apparently i was using the wrong one.

Don't ask me how, but that was keeping it on. Deck is an older JVC, non Mp3.

All figured out now, thanks again guys :)