wobbly rear suspension

yomny

Dec 10, 2003
Somestimes i feel the rear end of the car shake sideways or wobble left to ride when i go over a hole or bump. What could this be, the car is a 01 GT, got it less than a month a go, everything is stock. I was afraid that the rear shocks were blown, but the car doesn't bounce or feel bad, although if i lean on the trunk and push it down the suspension feels a bit soft than my friends GT. What do you think? Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

no, it's perfectly even front and rear, those frame connectors, do they come with it from the factory, or is it a mod, could it possibly be missing that connector or maybe something else, my friends gt doesn't wobble like this. Thanks for your help.

subframe connectors don't come factory unless you have a vert. so it's not missing if you have a hardtop but it's a good addition. I couldn't advise them though w/out knowing the person who had the car before you beat on it. I've had mine since April 2000 & have beat on it ever since & still don't have subframes but I do have noise out of my rear end. Not farting either.

Did you by it as a private sale or off a lot? It's hard to diagnose without actually looking but get the car on a rack or jackstands if at home and check to see if the quad shocks are installed. They were designed reduce Lt/Rt motion of the axle during hard launches. They are attached from the axle to the frame kinda parallel with the ground. Also, check to see if your rear sway bar is broken or cracked. I've had no problems with mine but I've read that they are prone to breaking under hard use. Lastly, check your upper and lower control arms and attach points. Are the arms still factory and if not are they installed right? As for the attach points, look for cracks or breaks in the area. That's pretty much the rear suspension, hopefully you'll find something to help you isolate the problem.

yomny said:
Somestimes i feel the rear end of the car shake sideways or wobble left to ride when i go over a hole or bump. What could this be, the car is a 01 GT, got it less than a month a go, everything is stock. I was afraid that the rear shocks were blown, but the car doesn't bounce or feel bad, although if i lean on the trunk and push it down the suspension feels a bit soft than my friends GT. What do you think? Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, its called Ford Quality. My car did that too, I took it back to the Dealer and now it does it a little less than before. Someone recommended the Steeda rear swaybar to correct this problem.

what size tires do you have on the back??? cause, if you're running, let's say a 275 in the back, there is most likely going to be some sloppiness in the rear. now that only goes for a stock rim size (exclude newer cobra rims), now if you have a 9" rim your fine & it's not the tires. hope it helps :nice:

yomny said:

Does this usually happen when you are driving either straight or in a turn and the rear goes over a bump?? If so, welcome to the joys of tall springs, weak shocks, and a solid rear axle. If you get springs, new shocks, lower control arms, and subframes will help subdue the hop a bit more.

Yeah this happens mostly in turns and going over a bump, sometimes when going over a bump in a straightaway causes a minimum movement. I'll check everything down there and make sure it's all good, one weird thing though, it does this sideways movement sometimes, is not always that it does it. I'm comfused. But thanks alot for all your responses, i've been to many different car forums before and this one is definitely the friendliest and most helpful. Thanks a lot.

Just to chime in my 96 does that too. In fact every GT I've driven does it but some less than others. Mine has been a little better just by going from P255/40/17 tires from the P245/45/17's. Don't know why but it did clear up some.

having a live axel. bumps in the rear are always going to be harsher.. First thing to do is definately get subframe connectors. The top names in suspension ARE Maximum Motorsports and Griggs Racing. I have the Griggs ones and they made a big difference for only 90 bucks from www.griggsracing.com. You also might want to invest in some new shocks for the rear. Go with bilstein's from www.bimmerparts.com.