Won a KB 1.7 in a bar bet...

ABQGT

May 17, 2006
ABQ, NM
So the title may not sound technical but I promise the rest is. Long story short I bet my dad he couldn't bring a certain girl home from a local bar and the wager was if he did I lost my car and if I won he paid for a bottom-end build and a KB 1.7 to top it off. Guess who won... So now my question is this, what forged pistons and rods have proven the best in our stock block, and what about the crank? I've heard both ways about our stock crank. Anyone with horror stories and those of success are greatly appreciated. This is my one chance to get it done and done right so lets hear it...

• Sponsors (?)

ABQGT said:
So the title may not sound technical but I promise the rest is. Long story short I bet my dad he couldn't bring a certain girl home from a local bar and the wager was if he did I lost my car and if I won he paid for a bottom-end build and a KB 1.7 to top it off. Guess who won... So now my question is this, what forged pistons and rods have proven the best in our stock block, and what about the crank? I've heard both ways about our stock crank. Anyone with horror stories and those of success are greatly appreciated. This is my one chance to get it done and done right so lets hear it...

:eek: thats one hell of a bet, good thing you won!

Stock GT crank is good to about 500hp, if you're looking for more, then a forged Cobra crank will be good for something like 1000hp or so. If he's paying, you should pick one up :nice: Are you looking to buy a complete shortblock or just the internals?

Dude I swear if I was him. I would've just walked up to her and told that no I don't think she is a prositue but would she like a mustang. if so just go home with him and it's hers.

Now for the tech side.
How much boost you plan on running and if someone else is footing the bill I'd go with the 2.2l KB.

Now that I think about it I should've bet the 2.2! I said the 1.7 and a forged bottom end or my car so I'm stickin to it... I'm plannin on the intercooled 14psi and if I can talk him into it a Cobra crank to go with it

man.......i fuggin hate you.

if my dad lost that bet, id hear "haha, just kidding, i wanted to crush your hopes. i couldve had that chick if i wanted to anyways".

Id go balls to the wall, even with the 1.7L. VT Pro 5.4L shortblock and the KB 1.7L will make a badass setup. then you can do heads/cams later(or do them now with your own money).

As stated above the stock GT crank is good to about 500BHP. They say that the rods are good until 400-450BHP. The real killer of PM rods is high RPMs and detonation is the killer for PM pistons. Forged H or I beams would suit your needs fine. Obviously forged pistons would be your best bet as well. I would get pistons which lower your compression and help reduce the threat of detonation. If you're going to replace your whole botom end I would suggest getting a complete rotating assembly that comes as a kit instead of piecing parts together, that way you can get a bottom end which is already balanced. As far as where you can find all this stuff...there are quite a few e-stores that have them, RPMoutlet.com,VT's, Livernois and Coast High Perfomance just to name a few. Pick up a copy of Muscular Mustangs and Fast Fords at a local store and you'll have more internals than you can shake a stick at.
On a side note KB claims that the 1.7 with one of the lower boost pullies (cant remember exatly) will work on a stock GT bottom end. They send a reflash for your ECU that comes with a "safe" tune.

Im sure if I missed something or mis-stated anything someone wil be kind enough to correct me.