Wondering about a Kenne bell on my 87 GT?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
I always wanted a KB blower on my GT..i have an 87 GT convertible AOD car..i want to install a KB on it..Here is my question...One it is still speed density can i use it that way?...what would i need to do to make it work?...Two i ran the car for the 1st time just before the track closed for the yr...I ran a 14.4@96 mph with a 2.0 60ft on street tires...car has more in it that i know,im thinking a 14.0-14.1 easy...So what would i be able to run with a KB making like 6 or so psi?.....

• Sponsors (?)

i love the scream of a KB but im going to go with a wieland 174 blower in my 67 when the time is right.(mine is a carb setup) if it was MAF EFI i would lean to the turbo for any boost needs but on a 67 mustang a turbo just does not seem right.

Maybe someone could actually answer the guy's question, instead of just saying "_____ would be better"?

from what i see we are giving advice and from what i have read speed density is junk so i would say change to mass air then pick what you want, if you want boost you will need alot of upgrades to do it right. more fuel is #1

You coulda done the same :shrug:

I don't have the knowledge, as none of the rest of you apparently do either. His questions were basically, "can I use a KB on a speed density car" and "how much faster will the car be with it", not "what kind of supercharger should I get" or "is a turbo better than a blower'. I attempted to get an answer to his first question on KB's website, but don't see anything that addresses that, other than they list the 5.0 kit as fitting 86-93.

My "dickedness" is pointing out that the rest of you are doing nothing but saying your way is better. My point is, if you don't know the answer, don't post.

BTW, the KB kits come complete with fuel upgrades and other supporting mods, so they bolt up and work well with a stock engine. A friend of mine is putting 350+ to the rear wheels on a very lightly modded 89 with a KB. Also, speed density cars are far from "junk". They just require more expertise to mod than a mass air car.

My "dickedness" is pointing out that the rest of you are doing nothing but saying your way is better. My point is, if you don't know the answer, don't post.

BTW, the KB kits come complete with fuel upgrades and other supporting mods, so they bolt up and work well with a stock engine. A friend of mine is putting 350+ to the rear wheels on a very lightly modded 89 with a KB. Also, speed density cars are far from "junk". They just require more expertise to mod than a mass air car.

your telling me "point is, if you don't know the answer, don't post." but this is what you post? :shrug:

Not trying to take sides but it might have been better for his point of view if we all answered his questions first and then offered opinions about whats better. Just sayin. :nice:

its all good! the issue is 6pis boost on one car will never be the same as on another. thier is no answer to how fast will this car go @ this boost.

I don't have the knowledge, as none of the rest of you apparently do either. His questions were basically, "can I use a KB on a speed density car" and "how much faster will the car be with it", not "what kind of supercharger should I get" or "is a turbo better than a blower'. I attempted to get an answer to his first question on KB's website, but don't see anything that addresses that, other than they list the 5.0 kit as fitting 86-93.

Again, the whole, what times will i run on 6 psi question is crap, he could run the same times he is now

just looked at the kb site and the kit is now the 2.1l blowzilla or watever instead of the 1.5l and it has a graph at the bottom that shows like 130hp extra and 120tq but didnt see boost level and it says specify if it is a speed density car so shoot them an email and they can hook you up.

Sorry guys for not getting back to you sooner i was out all day...The car is an 87 GT convertible..AOD mild stall convertor,im thinking 3.27's or 3.55's not sure..Stock heads intake .block,cam..Mods are as follows 70mm TB,190 lph fuel pump,Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator,Mac shorty headers,Mac off road H-pipe,Flowmaster cat back..40 series kit..MSD coil,wires,cap,rotor,Smog delete,EGR valve blocked off,Emissions all gone...And Not hooked up..crane Hi-6 boost retard,..The car when i bought it had an Paxton SN93 supercharger on it with SD...ran fine i went the route of going turbo..sold the paxton to fund the turbo project My Dad got cancer..he was out of work for awhile when he went back he went in the office he was a heating tech supplied with a Company truck well since he went back in the office he needed a car So i gave him my 90 GT 5spd to use so i put the 87 back on the road to use now i want just to bolt on something for fun...The car my 1st time out with it to the track with the mods i have ran a 14.4@96 mph timing was off because the 1st ran it pinged really bad so i backed it off without a timing light dont know where it is set at now just did it so it wouldnt ping..im betting it has more in it to run some better times,....Oh yeah that was street tires and a 2.0 60ft....AOD convertible...it moves pretty good Has some trans work nice shift kit and like i said a mild maybe like a 2500 stall speed convertor this car was done back in the 88-89 range the Guy that owned it from, what i was told had a speed shop so im guessing the car ran in the 13's maybe better when it had the paxton....Oh yeah those times were with a stock paper element...stock air box...no idea what tire pressure was..LOL...So thats why im asking if a KB will work with SD..im NOT changing to MAF...i have the 90 maybe someday i can bolt a blower on that car..maybe...lol...but for now i want to bolt a supercharger on the 87 the way it is and see what i get...:D

just looked at the site and on the price list they have a kit for SD cars you just have to specify so you should be good to go and with minor mods and some good tires/practice im sure 12s are easily possible! guys are doing that with gt40 stuff and the supercharger showed 350 hp on the site but who knows wat mods or boost levels just make sure you get the one with the flowzilla inlet they flow way better and it aint much more

Yes, an SD car will run like raped ape on a Kenne Bell. How much time will you cut off your quarter? That will depend on a lot more than just your power.

There's a couple of wrinkles. It's sooooooo tempting just to throw the Blowzilla kit on and call it a day. This option if fine so long as you don't plan on doing any futher engine mods (i.e. heads, intake, cam, displacement, etc). Your limiting factor will be the amount of fuel you can push through the tiny 19 lb injectors. Even the small kit can generate more boost than the injectors can keep up with.

There are a few things that you're going to need in addition to what's in the kit:

You'll need a wideband O2 meter, a fuel pressure gauge, and a boost/vac gauge. You will also need a 255L fuel pump, a KB boost-a-pump, and KB boost-a-spark. None of these items are negotiable with the exception of the maybe the boost gauge (scratch that, after further thought, I'll say this is required as well).

The combination of the AFR meter, fuel gauge, and boost pressure gauge, will keep you ontop of the fuel system so that you know everything is tracking. Just as SOON as that bypass valve closes, you'll be seeing fuel and boost tracking together. (A tiny trick for monitoring this is to rotate the gauges so that the boost and fuel needs both point straight up when hard on the throttle).

The kit comes with an FMU and will run your fuel pressure into the 90 psi range. I mention this because you should have your injectors cleaned and flow checked prior to install. If you have any that are marginally high or low, then they should be replaced (not all of them, just the bastard children).

The problem that you'll run into is the inability to tune for larger injectors. There have been mixed results with slapping 24 lb injectors into SD cars with the stock computer. Another caveat (that I'm less familiar with) are the ability of some of the tuners on the market to tune SD computers. Do some research on TwEECer, Moates(sp), and the Anderson PMS. The TwEECer, I'm pretty sure, can be used on SD cars but it's a PITA IMO, and not worth much. I've no experience with the Moates(sp) at all, and none with the PMS on SD cars. There may be others out there by now that are SD friendly.

SD responds very well to boost and so long as AFR is good, it's a very easy system to fine tune and adjust. On 6-9 psi (again, fuel being your limiting factor), you can expect something in the range of 300 hp and even more torque, on a motor in good condition.

In short, you'll love it.

Were it me, I'd opt for the Flowzilla/Blowzilla kit and keep boost down until I were able to meet the demands of the fuel system. Once again, SD is not the limiting factor, the 19 lb injectors are. This way, you'll only be forking out money for the blower one time.

There are SD friendly cams out there that favor the exhaust side a bit more. These are great for KB setups in that they'll eliminate that top end, "fall off" you hear so much about with positive displacement blowers, when combined with good headers and exhaust. Most of that is the result of poor exhaust scavenging and not the PD blower itself (particularly at these low boost levels).

A final thought... Don't expect to hear the blower whine of Termi with this setup. There's no intercooler to make whistling noises and not enough air in the blower (at this level) to really whine a whole lot. It'll make a great sleeper mod! One other thing is that if you find yourself wanting and able to suppport more boost, think about opening up the inlet tract before reaching for blower pullies. These blowers are pretty sensitive to inlet restrictions. Merely swapping to a larger TB and spacer can net 3 psi or more.

Expect to have to do some beating and banging on the firewall seam with the Flowzilla. The inlet is huge and has to be shoe-horned into position.

I was thinking the same thing as I was scrolling down.

:popcorn: