Wondering Which Mustang To Get?

jnew619

Jul 26, 2013
just got rid of my audi not to long ago (thank god it was horribile to deal with) and just bought a suv to be the leading car of the house since i now have a family. im hoping in the near feature maybe a year or so since im going on deployment soon in buying a 5.0 mustang i have always been into muscle cars manily the older ones espically the 5.0 series and was wondering what year you guys reccomend...
im hoping to do work on it not just keep it as a daily driver right now i have a baby girl and a son on the way and was considering as they get old enough to give it to one of them and make it a project car so basically i want one that is open to mods both exterier and interior i want a good model right away and littile by littile start adding more and more stuff into it... any advice is fine or opinions open to it all thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

they are all basically the same, 79-85 four eyes come with a carb, 86 still same body as previous but have fuel injection(but need switched to mass-air system to accept engine mods)87-93 are all the same except 87,88 do not have mass-air system 87-89 have tilt steering wheels, different wheels,(but rarely will you find stock wheels on the car anymore. LX or GT hatchback or coupe basically the same car(the coupe is a little lighter though) the 93 cobra has slightly better brakes and slightly better cylinder heads,cam,intake but in my opinion the 93 cobra computer sucks. any choice you make will be a good one. Just get the 5.0 that has no rust and is in the best condition.

I have a 90GT for the simple reason it more or less fell into my lap. It has creature comforts like power windows, cruise, had AC... Big thing which I'm learning is it has some stronger 'pieces' than the older ones. That said I was always a fan of the dash in an 83 GT. They look awesome mean. The newer ones like mine look too space age. I would say the big thing would be do you want carb or fuel injected? The cars are old enough that there's a good chance you'll want to do engine work, you may want to mess around with the rear diff so it doesn't really matter which one it has because they are inexpensive and easy to replace. I'd skip the mid 80's cars and find one that isn't cancerous.

if you want a nice car that sells quickly look for a stock 5 speed with AC with grey or black interior. Leave it alone fix what needs to be done enjoy and then sell again

Start with one that already has MAF. Also, an airbag and rear shoulder belts should help with insurance. The later the tranny, the better, and make sure it has the bigger 8.8 rear with limited slip. So that puts your purchase to one of the later ones. But most importantly is get one without rust. The other parts can be upgraded.

But if this is an emotional thing, (and why else would you buy an old car), get whatever you really want and enjoy it!

I have a 92 simply because it was the deal that came my way. However, if I could have the car I want in the year of my choice it would be an '89. '89 was the first year to use the MAF system and the last year as a non-airbag car.

If you drive stick, definitely get a stick.

I still think if you are doing 140 mph around here and are looking at the speedometer, you might be looking at the wrong thing. Example -
COW! BAM! &#$@! :eek: Hamburgers for all!
(Please insert Deer, Antelope, Moose, little old person, or Elk as appropriate for your area.)

Reactions: 1 user