Workshop Welder

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
I want to get a welder for my home garage to learn to weld with to do things like work on the stang and whatever hosehold chores I can come up with to use it for. I was looking at the Lincoln Electric Pro-MIG-140. It's 120V, which means I won't have to do any additional wiring in my house. Any thoughts on it? Would it be better to get a Tig welder for car stuff? My company may be making a $1M+ order with Lincoln in the near future, I'm going to try to get them to comp it to me or at least give me a really good discount. Any input/advice?

• Sponsors (?)

That should be fine depending on what your plans are for it. MIG is good for a ton of things, TIG is only once you get up into making things super pretty and strong, for a home welding machine that should be fine.

I have a Miller 185 w/ 220v and it can really haul ass. Plus mine is strong enough to be able to do a ton of things if needed.

I want to get a welder for my home garage to learn to weld with to do things like work on the stang and whatever hosehold chores I can come up with to use it for. I was looking at the Lincoln Electric Pro-MIG-140. It's 120V, which means I won't have to do any additional wiring in my house. Any thoughts on it? Would it be better to get a Tig welder for car stuff? My company may be making a $1M+ order with Lincoln in the near future, I'm going to try to get them to comp it to me or at least give me a really good discount. Any input/advice?

I have the same welder and love it. It easy easy to learn and use. I use it on sheet metal and structural stuff. Definiately get a tank and use gas. The flux core wire is messy.

lincoln is one of the best. MIG is awesome for home use. unless you want to fab a ton of stuff, you dont really need a TIG. TIG is also tons harder to become familiar with. Once you master TIG though, its all you want to do because it has more control of the weld.

120V is pleanty for most home projects. If you want to do structural stuff on your car, and its a thivker metal, a 220 would be better. but for most DIY projects, 120V is sufficient.

I have a lincoln MIG and TIG and I use the MIG for most all of my fabricating. TIG is alot harder to use and you have to have the surface area so much cleaner for a good weld. The price is also a major factor. I paid around 500 for my MIG and around 1700 for the TIG.

Mig is the way to go... that thing will do EVERYTHING you need it to on a car. I cant think of a single thing that is over 3/16" steel. Heck even then you can do a couple passes and be just fine.

If you have the money to upgrade and forsee yourself doing heavier metal projects, a 220v would be the way to go...but it is more expensive.