Worth upgrading to a v8 model?

Jonatron5

Feb 25, 2019
Florida
I've got a 2010 v6 mustang. And I love it. But it's about to be 10 years old, and i am kind of eyeing something with a little more power.

So I was trying to figure out, if I did get a new car, would I see enough of a power difference between my old car and a new mustang gt?

I mean the v8 has more power, but is it like significantly obvious?

• Sponsors (?)

Umm, yeah. 210hp to 460hp you would doubling the hp and then some. even the ecoboost has 310 hp a 100 hp jump over what you've got now.

Well that's good to know.

I was worried It wouldn't be enough of a difference to justify spending 35,000$ on.

Which I suppose is subjective to some degree.

I notice there is a gt, and a gt premium,

As well as a performance package, but when I read the performance package details I dont see anything that would impact performance all that much it's just things like special rims and spoilers brakes suspension etc.

I'm a relatively new "car guy" so I'm not certain I would be able to tell a difference in performance packages or not.

But as long as I could "feel" a difference going to the new v8, then it's on my table still

You will feel a difference in the v8 performance package brakes. The car just out performs your v6 in every way in base model form....but the PP brakes are impressive.

I didn't get the v8 because of commuting and insurance...so I bought a 19 ecoboost. This car is fun man. It's pretty quick for what it is....and last week I got 34mpg on a 8hr road trip through the mountains. The GT is awesome....but my car was 20k cheaper.

You will feel a difference in the v8 performance package brakes. The car just out performs your v6 in every way in base model form....but the PP brakes are impressive.

I didn't get the v8 because of commuting and insurance...so I bought a 19 ecoboost. This car is fun man. It's pretty quick for what it is....and last week I got 34mpg on a 8hr road trip through the mountains. The GT is awesome....but my car was 20k cheaper.

Yeah that's not to be understated either. 20k is alot of money to save.

I need to check on my insurance to see exactly how much it will increase if I decide to get a new car.

That was actually what I was worried about, that there isnt enough difference in power to justify the extra money.

There's a bunch of aftermarket support for the 2.3 ecoboost as well. I don't regret my purchase at all. My car is an automatic because shifting gears wasn't going to work for my 1 1/2 hour commute in stop and go traffic. Wish I could've gotten the six speed but I've been enjoying the paddle shifters and the track apps that are standard on the 19.

Jon, I have been a long time Mustang owner and fan. I ordered a 2017 Mustang GT premium with the PP six speed manual. I don't have to tell you that the S550 is a complete redesign of the Mustang especially with the IRS. The engineers at Ford targeted making the S550 Mustang match or exceed the 2012 Boss 302 model. And that Boss is a very cool, wonderfully handling car. The S550 Mustang GT with PP is probably the BEST Mustang built (except for the Shelby & Roush variations). The handling and HP make it one awesome car.

I opted for the 5.0 and upgraded to the PP to make my car an even better handling car. So it all depends on what you want. The turbo is a great car with the right amount of HP. Personally I would never purchase another turbo car from Ford, been there done that. Besides I wanted the Coyote motor and the 435 HP. My car retailed for about $45,000. That is a lot of $$ for a Mustang.

Driving impressions? 435 HP is a lot of HP. Going from your 210 to 435 is going to be an amazing upgrade for you. I went from 320 HP to 435. The first six speed manual I test drove I spun the tires in the dealer parking lot. I've driven manuals all my life. (That had a lot to do with the HP & torque and that helper spring Ford puts on the clutch. I have replaced the clutch spring in mine with the Steeda 35lb. You can't feel the clutch engage with the stock spring.)

It has been a learning experience to handle 435 HP and with a manual. The sales guy suggested I get an automatic saying driving this car is challenging enough, do you really want to add a manual to make it more challenging. He was right, honestly. The PP add ons are worth the cost in my opinion. The PP brakes are beyond amazing. 60-0 in 105 feet is super car territory. Learning to brake this car is unique on to itself. It stops on a dime and gives you 25 cents change. Shortly after I got my Mustang I had it back to the dealer for some tweaks, I asked if there was someone I could discuss the car with. The Service Manager came out. First thing he said to me was "Are you the guy that purchased that red race car?" He is right, this is a race car.

It all depends on what you want. The base GT is a great car. Adding the premium and PP makes it an even greater car. I was talking to a friend last week that wanted to order a new 2020 Shelby GT 500. 700+ HP. I can't imagine why I would want that much HP. Seems like a guy thing for someone that wants to win the biggest dick argument. 435 HP is plenty and a handful to manage. What is cool about my 17 Mustang though is if you drive it like a little old lady the car behaves very well. It has no problems with that. Step into it though and it awakens the beast. This summer I am going to teach my wife to drive my car. She can drive a 5 speed. But I need to teach her to respect what this car can do if you get into it.

So is it worth the money? To answer your first question, this is a huge bump up in HP from your V6. More than double. Imagine that. I was surprised at going from 320 to 435. Do you need that much HP? No. 300+ is plenty for a sports car. More can get you into trouble real easy. Is it worth the $$ to get 435? I would have ordered the V6 if I could have gotten the GT suspension. For perspective, 435 HP in this car makes it faster than almost any prior comparable cars. All those classic Muscle cars have less HP and handle far worse. The S550 GT is in a rare class of cars.

One last thought. Knowing what I do now about these cars, I would have seriously considered ordering the V6 six speed manual, then upgrading the suspension to the GT level with aftermarket parts. That would have been a very cool car. Just the right HP and handling. A big upgrade to your current Mustang. And if you want HP add a supercharger. Maybe you can find a used V6 since Ford stop offering the V6 in the Mustang.

Reactions: 1 user
Jon, I have been a long time Mustang owner and fan. I ordered a 2017 Mustang GT premium with the PP six speed manual. I don't have to tell you that the S550 is a complete redesign of the Mustang especially with the IRS. The engineers at Ford targeted making the S550 Mustang match or exceed the 2012 Boss 302 model. And that Boss is a very cool, wonderfully handling car. The S550 Mustang GT with PP is probably the BEST Mustang built (except for the Shelby & Roush variations). The handling and HP make it one awesome car.

I opted for the 5.0 and upgraded to the PP to make my car an even better handling car. So it all depends on what you want. The turbo is a great car with the right amount of HP. Personally I would never purchase another turbo car from Ford, been there done that. Besides I wanted the Coyote motor and the 435 HP. My car retailed for about $45,000. That is a lot of $$ for a Mustang.

Driving impressions? 435 HP is a lot of HP. Going from your 210 to 435 is going to be an amazing upgrade for you. I went from 320 HP to 435. The first six speed manual I test drove I spun the tires in the dealer parking lot. I've driven manuals all my life. (That had a lot to do with the HP & torque and that helper spring Ford puts on the clutch. I have replaced the clutch spring in mine with the Steeda 35lb. You can't feel the clutch engage with the stock spring.)

It has been a learning experience to handle 435 HP and with a manual. The sales guy suggested I get an automatic saying driving this car is challenging enough, do you really want to add a manual to make it more challenging. He was right, honestly. The PP add ons are worth the cost in my opinion. The PP brakes are beyond amazing. 60-0 in 105 feet is super car territory. Learning to brake this car is unique on to itself. It stops on a dime and gives you 25 cents change. Shortly after I got my Mustang I had it back to the dealer for some tweaks, I asked if there was someone I could discuss the car with. The Service Manager came out. First thing he said to me was "Are you the guy that purchased that red race car?" He is right, this is a race car.

It all depends on what you want. The base GT is a great car. Adding the premium and PP makes it an even greater car. I was talking to a friend last week that wanted to order a new 2020 Shelby GT 500. 700+ HP. I can't imagine why I would want that much HP. Seems like a guy thing for someone that wants to win the biggest :spam: argument. 435 HP is plenty and a handful to manage. What is cool about my 17 Mustang though is if you drive it like a little old lady the car behaves very well. It has no problems with that. Step into it though and it awakens the beast. This summer I am going to teach my wife to drive my car. She can drive a 5 speed. But I need to teach her to respect what this car can do if you get into it.

So is it worth the money? To answer your first question, this is a huge bump up in HP from your V6. More than double. Imagine that. I was surprised at going from 320 to 435. Do you need that much HP? No. 300+ is plenty for a sports car. More can get you into trouble real easy. Is it worth the $$ to get 435? I would have ordered the V6 if I could have gotten the GT suspension. For perspective, 435 HP in this car makes it faster than almost any prior comparable cars. All those classic Muscle cars have less HP and handle far worse. The S550 GT is in a rare class of cars.

One last thought. Knowing what I do now about these cars, I would have seriously considered ordering the V6 six speed manual, then upgrading the suspension to the GT level with aftermarket parts. That would have been a very cool car. Just the right HP and handling. A big upgrade to your current Mustang. And if you want HP add a supercharger. Maybe you can find a used V6 since Ford stop offering the V6 in the Mustang.

Wow thanks for the awesome reply.

I just gotta figure out how to rationalize it.

Because I know the smart thing to do is to get a house on a mortgage , instead of a new sports car

Because I know the smart thing to do is to get a house on a mortgage , instead of a new sports car

Get the house first. getting a car will affect your debt to income ratio, thus lowering your buying power for a house. Besides, once you get the house, you'll get a bump in your credit rating and you can probably get a new mustang at a lower rate allowing you to get more of a car. Be smart, house first, toys later.

Get the house first. getting a car will affect your debt to income ratio, thus lowering your buying power for a house. Besides, once you get the house, you'll get a bump in your credit rating and you can probably get a new mustang at a lower rate allowing you to get more of a car. Be smart, house first, toys later.

Yeah I 100% agree that's the smart thing to do, not sure if I'm going to be smart or not though.

I am 24 years old, so I figured even if finance the car,for 6 years. I could still buy a house when i turn 30.

If you buy the house now, when you're in your mid fifties, the house will be paid and you can have whatever toys you want. And in one more year, you will be 25 and your car insurance rates will go down.

I bought my first mustang when I was 22, and my insurance was more than the car payment.

DBegley hit the nail on the head. I bought a '17GT PP car to compliment my 90 fox body. The plan was to keep both cars forever. Within 2 months I sold the fox because it was no fun to drive.

I haven't driven the v6 or eco options, but I do love my GT! Ive gone 20,000+ miles in 2 years with it, storing it in the winter.
20170723_212333.jpg

This.

If it comes down to house vs toys...always go for the house. I bought property in my mid 20's and it was the best decision I ever made in the long run.

If you are on the fence...I think it would be worthwhile to ditch the V6 and "upgrade" to an Ecoboost. Yes, it really is an upgrade with 310 HP and 390 Ft.Lbs of torque. And...it will save you some coin.

Reactions: 1 user