Roush Worthy Competitor?

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, I'm not impressed. :notnice:

As I stated in the prior Z06 thread, customers who are inclined towards the purchase of a new Mustang are by & large not about to be dissuaded from that decision or lured away by another vehicle.

IMHO the new Challenger is merely ChryCo's attempt to cash in on the popularity of the Mustang; not unlike the attempts by GM, ChryCo & AM in the 1960's. Why buy a copycat when you can have the original?

Not to mention ChryCo's less than stellar quality record.

ag lightning said:
OK, there is one I've never seen before. What the heck does that stand for?? I've always been a Mustang fan, but that thing is sweet. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like in person. I have to admit, I was/am a huge fan of the 70's era Barracuda....

Doc GTO said:
Why do you say? We have 9, 10, and 11 sec goats roaming the streets. I have raced a few S281s and pulled them but I don't consider them a joke.

There are some good running GTO's out there, I'll give props where they are due. I didn't intend to slam GTO's or their owners, basically it's a slam on Pontiac for their lack of vision. They are decent running cars, especially after mods, but look at them. They are basically Cavalier's on Steroids. What part of a GTO looks anything remotely close to their heritage? Their sales weren't/aren't near what was expected so they aren't really competition for the Mustang. Given that, and the fact that the Camaro and Firebird were axed, there are currently no competitors for the Pony car. If the Challenger actually gets built, given it's retro styling, Dodge may actually bring some competition. That was the point of the post. Take the motor/6-speed out of the Cavalier body and put it in something with some style and then maybe Pontiac will have something for the Mustang with their GTO. Until then, nothing...

The GTO is not a direct competitor for the Mustang in both size, price & demographic despite the automotive media's claims.
It certainly is not a direct competitor in styling.
Can you say B-O-R-I-N-G???:sleep:

Not to mention it still employs the GM corporate OHV, pushrod V8 that hasn't changed much from 1955.

NASCRAP may think it's the latest technology, but IMHO it ain't. crapola

In the $35k to $45k COUPE WITH 4 SEATS price range where a NA S281 falls there are a few options.

A> GTO
B> BMW 330 Coupe
C> G35
D> Benz CLK 350

It all comes down to how one prefers their power vs fit/finish vs style.

IMHO these could all be options for somebody looking for a 4-Seater "Sports Coupe".

When talking VERTS you can toss out A & C.

Size???

Exterior
Length: 189.8 in.
Width: 72.5 in.
Height: 54.9 in.

VS

Exterior
Length: 188 in.
Width: 74 in.
Height: 54.5 in.

Any guess which one is the Mustang & which one is the GTO?

Price???

GTO w/ 6-speed and 18" wheels ("loaded")
MSRP: $34,185
Market: $31,954

GT w/ 5-speed and 18" wheels ("loaded")
MSRP: $30,695
Market: $30,695

Looks about the same to me.