Would gears make a clunking sound like almost a month after install?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Would gears start to make a clunking noise like a month after they were installed? They made no noise at all and now I hear a clunk when I start off sometimes. It sounds like its coming from around there.

• Sponsors (?)

I get that too only in the last month or so. But my gears were put in about 3 years ago :shrug:
I'm gonna look everything over on the weekend to make sure something isn't coming loose in the rear.

I'd check the rear suspension (control arm bushings, etc) and the U-joints. With the new gear, you might have shown yourself where you have a weakness and now it's talkin to you.

Good luck Eric.

I had this after about 1k miles after my gears were installed... the pinion wasn't set to the proper preload for the bearings and they got wiped... check the piion rotation torque...

I think i just found the problem with mine. The chassis-side bolt on the LCA's was about 3 turns loose so I tightened it up (had to drop the exhaust to get to the nut though :nonono: ). Seems fine now, I'll know if its all gone once I drive it more tomorrow.
But yeah, if your bushings and arms out back are stock, have a good look at them, my uppers were completely shot and were clunking before I changed them.