Would not turn off

I have a 67 289 that we have just started working on to get back into good shape. About a week ago, I replaced a starter solenoid, battery, and battery cables.

Today, I was driving it and when I pulled into the driveway and stopped, the car would not turn off. I turned the key back and forth several times, even pulled it out, but the engine kept running. It finally stopped running after about 20 minutes of fiddling with the key.

What could cause this problem? How do I go about fixing it? Does it have anything to do with the parts I replaced last weekend?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

The ignition swirch might be worn out. thats what i would think... but im not a master grease monkey like some of these guys are. You could hook up a switch to the wires... but thats not professonal.

the current should be able to be reused...should work fine. there is a trick to get it out that requires a paper clip.

O yeah, I should have an extra IG switch, i bought two for some stupid reason, PM if you want it. I'd rather someone got some use from it vs it sitting in a box.

When replacing the ignition switch (I assume y'all are referring to this.), is it necessary to also replace the cylinder, or can the current one be reused?

current one can be reused.

part of taking the old switch out is taking the cylinder out.

turn the key to the acc. position, then stick a paperclip in the little hole ont he 6 o-clock of the cylinder, then turn the key counter clockwise and it will come out.

The solenoid could be faulty. If you bought it at a parts store, go to a Ford dealer and buy on there. Install it in the car, then take the parts-store one back to the store or throw it as far as you can.