Foxbody1988

May 4, 2019
Fresno
Hi guys, so I’m relatively new to this forum and I would like to hear from some people who can tell me a little more about what would make my car reach 300rwhp. I would like to start of by saying I don’t want nitrous oxide or any boost. I just want naturally aspirated. I don’t plan on any suspension upgrades yet although I know it’s going to be a must later for hooking.

Let’s start off by saying I blew my motor and I’m rebuilding it. I’m going to be rebalancing the whole bottom end and using forged pistons and arp bolts that’s about it. For the items I will be using to help you gauge the power I will be creating I will list them now. I have a set of gt40 heads not porter my plan to later, a krower level 3 cam (part number 15513) .512 intake .531 exhaust, trickflow street burner I believe upper and lower intake, 24 pound injectors, 70mm throttle bod, roller rockers, 3:55 gears in the rear, a little dinky cold air intake, and arp studs and that good stuff. Please give me any tips to help me reach 300rwhp. If that doesn’t already. Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

No I think you're probably going to make in the 260s with stock GT40s. You really need to move up to a good aluminum head to get to 300 at the wheels. Also that cam is way to big for your other parts and it going to make your car a dog below 3000RPMs and it will probably buck at low RPMs too.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the 260ish number, as well as the cam not really being correct for what you’re doing.

My experience is that the trickflow stage 1 can does good with gt40 heads and a decent intake. Make sure you have the correct springs.

Any tips to reach 300whp for cheap ?
Take a look through the dyno number thread. You can find some good tried and true combinations in there.

Heads, cam, intake and some 24lb injectors can get you 300+ reliable whp. Having a good, free-flowing exhaust helps as well.

What’s your definition of “cheap?”

Any tips to reach 300whp for cheap ?

Yes. A supercharger kit.

If the motor is in good shape there's no reason not to. If spend a little more then you'll have a blower that will have enough headroom to grow as you continue to mod.

A supercharger kit with the necessary fuel upgrades will pave the way for additional mods and will get you where you want to be.

From there, you could continue to work supporting mods (suspension, brakes, etc..) until the power bug bites you again (which will be the moment you've achieved better handling making the car 'feel' slow again).

Reactions: 1 user
Thirty years of Fox body engine modding and people still ask how to make 300 rwhp...smh.
Ok.....GT40 heads - no
Mismatched cam for whatever reason - no
Can I do it cheap - no
What about all the other stuff? You don't want to spend money on good parts so what about a tune? Or brakes? Or sub frame connectors? Or ?????
Sorry if this comes off as harsh but I have a HEADACHE!!!

Thirty years of Fox body engine modding and people still ask how to make 300 rwhp...smh.
Ok.....GT40 heads - no
Mismatched cam for whatever reason - no
Can I do it cheap - no
What about all the other stuff? You don't want to spend money on good parts so what about a tune? Or brakes? Or sub frame connectors? Or ?????
Sorry if this comes off as harsh but I have a HEADACHE!!!
Hey, I'm right there with you.

But Everytime the question gets asked, there's a dozen replies just waiting to happen.

That's what this thing is for:
:dead:

Whoa there, easy killer! He wants to put $2,500 into it. He's got a heap of parts, too.

My old AFR 165, Cobra Intake, FTI Custom Cam car with a 65mm TB, 24 lbs injectors, BBK 1 5/8" LT headers car made 311 rwhp before I ported the Cobra intake with ~56-ish cc chambers. I had the same goal you do when I built it.

If I were to do another one today, I would do it with TFS 11R 190cc heads, Holley Systemax II, 1 3/4" LT headers, another FTI custom cam, 75mm Throttle body, a bigger MAF tuned to 42lbs injectors (room to grow).

So, my take is that you should sell those heads, that cam, and that intake. Add the funds to your $2,500. That is not my favorite intake on a street car, but it'll do if it must. If ya wanna dump it and pick up a ported performer (my favorite for a street car), performer RPM, Systemax, or GT40, you'll get more torque, more power or both. A custom cam from FTI will set you back $375-ish. AFR 165 or 185 or TFS twisted wedge or 11R heads. Maybe you can find a used set and save a dime. They're going for $1,600-1,700, on LMR, but you can probably do better. Use the remainder to tie up any loose ends you need to in the valve train. Since you're focused on N/A, the smaller the combustion chamber the better. 58cc AFR 165s can be flat milled to 54cc to bump compression pretty cheaply. I'm not sure about the other heads. I'm sure you've already got an MAF tuned to your 24lbs injectors. As long as it's bigger than your TB, you should be alright there. Tune(13-13.5:1) and time it aggressively (~18* base, or even better get a mega squirt and let Steve (@a91what) do a custom tune for you, though this may land you over budget.

If you go the 11R route, you'd probably end up in the 340+ rwhp range. If you stay back with AFR 165s or Twisted wedges, you'll be in the 310 realm.

Reactions: 3 users
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tickford_Vehicle_Engineering

The factory 225, 248, 261, 268, 295, 335 hp engine builds; the last four the Tickford Synergy 5000 engines with GT 40p or alloy Y303 heads. The rear hp rating for a 5 speed 5.6 liter stroker was just on 300 hp, but it took a totally revised lower, upper intake and Larger MAF with 36 pound injectors with a special exhaust to do it.

For the info, see that link.

Last edited:
Take the $2500 and go on that other forum and buy a used v1 strim. Sell off all that stuff you have, except the throttle body, and use that money to purchase upgraded fuel components. Done.

That didn’t answer my question :spam: head
It did answer your question in the fact that the parts you listed will not make the HP you are looking for. Mike is by no means a Spamer. Since you are a "New Member" you obviously don't know that. Your question has been answered several times so far. And coming on here trying to insult long-time members won't win you any friends.

• Agree
It did answer your question in the fact that the parts you listed will not make the HP you are looking for. Mike is by no means a Spamer. Since you are a "New Member" you obviously don't know that. Your question has been answered several times so far. And coming on here trying to insult long-time members won't win you any friends.
What parts would you recommend ?

What parts would you recommend ?
The same as everyone else that's answered you. You have answers with exact combo's listed. Don't drive yourself crazy thinking that on the 100th reply that person will magically tell you what you are wanting to hear. I remember back when I was learning these cars, I'd spend way too much time collecting an overabundance of info till my brain was sick of all the options. The AFR or TFS head advice above is the most important part then the matching cam is next. Crappy heads won't help no matter what other parts you throw at it. BTW....to keep your thoughts clear don't listen to anything i just posted! :rlaugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users