Would you rather the '06 Cobra have a S/C V8 or V10?

Would you rather the '06 Cobra have a S/C V8 or V10?

• Supercharged V8

Votes: 78 46.4%
  • V10

Votes: 90 53.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

V8 or V10

The real question is how to gain displacement. The current 4.6 has very little room left for increaced displacement. The 5.0 started life as a 3.7L (221ci) grew to 4.3L (260ci) then 4.7L (289). The 4.6 does not have enough bore spacing for this type of growth. In addition, the 5.4 has larger outer dimensions making it a bad fit and heavy and still has the same bore spacing.

The 4.6L has greatly improved since its introduction. The further possibilities for this engine are more valves (it already going to a 3 valve head), variable cam variable timing/lift, and supercharging. Of course, it can be taken out to 5.0L, but it seems to be an expensive option.

A V10 gains the extra displacement without boring or stroking, but is more complicated to produce.

Z28x said:
The same amount that could afford a S/C DOHC V8 stang.

It's not like if they made the Cobra a V10, you could only get a V10 Mustang. There would still be V8 GT and Mach 1 stangs, and the V6 base car.

I realize this, but that still dosn't answer my ques. :shrug: I also see that V10 Cars seem a little higher than a SC 281, check the prices of any vehicle with a V10.

JaysGreenLX said:
I would say 427ci V10.

Can you imagine what kind of stuff the aftermarket companies would be turning out for that engine.

I like to think about a Kenne Bell on this engine.......

A mustang with a v10 is wrong...it'll sound like ass and that right there would be reason enough not to buy it.

You can forget a throaty sounding exhaust...have you heard a viper before? :nonono:

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
A mustang with a v10 is wrong...it'll sound like ass and that right there would be reason enough not to buy it.

You can forget a throaty sounding exhaust...have you heard a viper before? :nonono:

kirkyg

You guys are all concerned about the sound. Heres a novel idea.....make the thing fast!!!!!!!

kirkyg said:
A mustang with a v10 is wrong...it'll sound like ass...

Uhh, it DOESN'T. Have you seen the video? I've been trying to upload it, but my server is being dumb. It sounds nothing like a Viper. I can't really describe it, you'll have to hear it for yourself. But trust me, it sounds BADASS. :nice:

I think if it's light enough, a V10 is a good idea. The last thing we need is a heavier Mustang that's more nose heavy! There's already rumor that the weight of the new Stangs are going to be even higher than before. From Fords point of view, which would be cheaper to produce, a naturally aspirated V10 or a Forced Induction V8? If it's true that the V10 weighs less than the current SC V8, I'll be all over it. If it's a brick, they can keep it.
And as for all the heritage crap, the name and the looks are the heritage. What's inside is guided by technology. Porsche said flat out years ago that if they had listened to all the people who whined about heritage when they were redoing the internals of the 911, they'd be out of business right now. How much business would Ford lose if they were still running carbourated 302s? Sure, the fanatics and performance addicts would love it, but the average Joe would laugh and walk away.

CdnNavybob said:
I think if it's light enough, a V10 is a good idea. The last thing we need is a heavier Mustang that's more nose heavy! There's already rumor that the weight of the new Stangs are going to be even higher than before. From Fords point of view, which would be cheaper to produce, a naturally aspirated V10 or a Forced Induction V8? If it's true that the V10 weighs less than the current SC V8, I'll be all over it. If it's a brick, they can keep it.
And as for all the heritage crap, the name and the looks are the heritage. What's inside is guided by technology. Porsche said flat out years ago that if they had listened to all the people who whined about heritage when they were redoing the internals of the 911, they'd be out of business right now. How much business would Ford lose if they were still running carbourated 302s? Sure, the fanatics and performance addicts would love it, but the average Joe would laugh and walk away.

the 911 isn't sold based on heritage its sold to a bunch of rich people that just want a nice car that is pretty quick. The mustang is sold for the most part on its heritage...its classic muscle sound and sex appeal. If you take those two things away they better be ready to go luxury with it because otherwise it'll be a failure.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
the 911 isn't sold based on heritage its sold to a bunch of rich people that just want a nice car that is pretty quick. The mustang is sold for the most part on its heritage...its classic muscle sound and sex appeal. If you take those two things away they better be ready to go luxury with it because otherwise it'll be a failure.

kirkyg

The Mustang sells more cars because of price. It is affordable performance. It is only people like us who care about heritage. But if heritage and classic muscle sound are what why so many Mustangs are sold, then why is it that the majority of Mustangs sold are V-6's?

You said that you can make anything fas, but you can't make it look good. So I ask you again, what does the engine have to do with looks? Also, how can you call a car a ***** car when it has 500HP? That seems pretty ***** to me :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.