Would you rather the '06 Cobra have a S/C V8 or V10?

Would you rather the '06 Cobra have a S/C V8 or V10?

• Supercharged V8

Votes: 78 46.4%
  • V10

Votes: 90 53.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
SVTdriver said:
Are you saying that they need a V10 in the gt? Or that that they need a v10 with 350hp in the Cobra? Even as an optionon the gt. There's just no way it's going to happen. Your option for more hp is the Cobra. With all the rebates and such going on. There are some places the Cobra now is a $3000 option.

No, not that they "need" it in the GT, it's just that the 4.6 without a blower isn't enough, in my opinion. And I do believe the new car will gain weight, not lose any.

I think it should be optional for those that aren't impressed with a low 14 high 13 second car..

Wouldn't make a bad motor in the Cobra, a blown 32v 5.8 V10 would haul ass.

The reason I'd like to see it an option for the GT is that if it was just 2-3k more than a standard GT it would be a lot cheaper than the Cobra seeing as to how it wouldn't have IRS and all the other Cobra add-ons that jack the price up..

• Sponsors (?)

There is always the Mach 1 if you like the Cobra motor but don't like the IRS. I realize you may not be impressed with a 14 sec. car. But I'm not sure that the majority of gt buyers are also drag racing their cars. And Ford is going to but an engine in that appeals to the masses. And 300 hp is pretty appealing when you look at the cost of the car. And also it's recent history. They are making steps to improve the V8. It gets more power every time a new model comes out.
http://www.stangnet.com/sema2003/50cammer.html
This seems to be a modular V8 that is very capable. And they do have an option for a supercharger. I think it would make a great alternative to the V10 idea.
I own a 97 Cobra and I would get an 05 gt. Since it does not appear to be going down in hp. Yes I will more than likely try to step up to the Cobra.

The F-150 will never have a V10 as a base motor, or even an option. You want tons of power, you get a diesel motor, because V10's simply don't sell due to horrendous fuel economy. Those big engines, however, are for the SuperDuty trucks, the F-250 and F-350. I haven't heard any of these "bad reviews" of the 3V 5.4.

If you guys really think Ford is going to put a V10 into a Mustang any time soon, then you can forget about it having great handling, because it'll be nose heavy and a real porker then. I'd much rather see development continue on the V8's.

awalbert88 said:
If you guys really think Ford is going to put a V10 into a Mustang any time soon, then you can forget about it having great handling, because it'll be nose heavy and a real porker then. I'd much rather see development continue on the V8's.

As I said before, the 5.8L V10 is 90lbs. lighter than the current supercharged V8.

But again we could go could back to an aluminum block. They said they went to iron for durability. But then you look at how many aluminum blocks are holding more than 390hp and have been doing so for years. And the switch to the iron block and S/C gained about 150 lbs

I'm quite sure the aluminum block would not have survived the kind of abuse that a lot of '03 owners have put their engines through. SVT went with the iron block specifically because they knew that owners were going to mod it, and while it could've held 390hp or a bit more just fine with alu, SVT wanted to make sure it would take an insanely higher power level.

awalbert88 said:
The F-150 will never have a V10 as a base motor, or even an option. You want tons of power, you get a diesel motor, because V10's simply don't sell due to horrendous fuel economy. Those big engines, however, are for the SuperDuty trucks, the F-250 and F-350. I haven't heard any of these "bad reviews" of the 3V 5.4.

I agree on both things...first there haven't been any bad reviews of the new 3valve technology. I've seen nothing but praise from magazines and ford fans alike. 305 hp and plenty of torque to back it up is nothing to gawk at.

I might add ford doesn't NEED to do anything. They are continuing to make mustangs while noone else competes in the rwd v8 coupe market. The only thing that is competition are imports...and most of the people that buy those never considered a mustang to begin with.

I think we can continue to see head improvement...i would also not be surprised if we see a slightly larger displacement v8 for the trucks and eventually to a performance edition mustang. Eventually ford is going to technology its way to the end of potential for the 5.4L and need some more displacement to work with. This is all assuming the hp war continues.

kirkyg

Z28x said:
As I said before, the 5.8L V10 is 90lbs. lighter than the current supercharged V8.

Buts its yet to be seen if it (the v10) would be able to put out 350 rwhp. Remember the 03 cobra is rated at 390 but its more like 430 in real life.

So you give up 90 lbs...people are going to put a supercharger on top of that...IF anyone ever makes a kit for it (considering its a v10...).

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
Buts its yet to be seen if it (the v10) would be able to put out 350 rwhp. Remember the 03 cobra is rated at 390 but its more like 430 in real life.

So you give up 90 lbs...people are going to put a supercharger on top of that...IF anyone ever makes a kit for it (considering its a v10...).

kirkyg

I read in Motor Trend that the V10 made about 430rwhp, and alot more torque than the 4.6SC Cobra did.

Lets put it this way, the V10 was breaking the T56's they were using to test the car with.

kirkyg said:

kirkyg

THe 5.8L V10 in MotorTrend was rated at 430HP at the crank.

SVTdriver said:
But again we could go could back to an aluminum block. They said they went to iron for durability. But then you look at how many aluminum blocks are holding more than 390hp and have been doing so for years. And the switch to the iron block and S/C gained about 150 lbs

Chevrolet has no problem making 400HP+ aluminum block engine, and look at Dodge, they build a 500HP/525tq aluminum V10. Even the Ford GT engine will be 550-600HP and have an aluminum block.

The tranny is not an issue with V10 vs. the S/C V8. Both would need the same tranny since both would put out the same power, plus the T-56 is build for lots of torque (500+)

SVTdriver said:
You have a serrious hang up with the V6 topicdon't you. The thread topic is S/C V8 or V10. Nothing about a v6.

I know it is about s/c V8 vs. V10, but I find it funny how some people think that the Mustang should only have a V8 yet it the best selling Mustangs of all time are not V8s. It seems not every one that buys a Mustang wants/needs a V8. Having only a V8 isn't in the mustang heritage.

I totally agree, Chevyrolet would have NO problem getting that much power out of an aluminum block motor.. as they are almost there with the Z06 with 405hp.

Ford doesnt DESIGN motors for specific applications like CHEVY does, the 4.6 is dumped into TRUCKS, VANS and CARS... just different cams and sometimes intake's.

I say V10, and then the aftermarket will take care of it later with performance enhancements and a blower.

Just dont pack the internals with JUNK.

and...

5150lx:

No offense but HAD is HAD, everything has changes, and I think a V10 will put the COBRA in the ranks where it belongs... up on top with the BIG boys.

I cant help but imagine the DISPLACEMENT that can be HAD with a V10 STROKER kit. I just pray like I said before, Ford doesnt piece together JUNK internals(block).

Status
Not open for further replies.