Would you sell this mint 66 Fastback for the new GT500? (pics)

Tokey

Jul 12, 2006
I have a all original (including interior), numbers matching, 66 GT Fastback that's in pretty good condition with only 2000 miles on rebuilt motor - basically we drive it about 500 miles a year on the most perfect of days.

I'm debating selling the car to get the new GT500. I'll still be able to get the GT500 if I don't sell, but I won't be paying cash :bang: and I really didn't want to take out the loan if I could help it.

What would you guys do? I kind of think I would be an idiot to sell this, but the wife wants one or the other - not both. :owned:

Here's where all 24 pics are posted if you want to see more:

http://www.jonanddawn.com/66mustang/

And here's a few to show the condition of the car:

%5b2006.07.09%5d%20Minnesota%20Vacation%20182.jpg

%5b2006.07.09%5d%20Minnesota%20Vacation%20184.jpg

%5b2006.07.09%5d%20Minnesota%20Vacation%20193.jpg

%5b2006.07.09%5d%20Minnesota%20Vacation%20195.jpg

%5b2006.07.09%5d%20Minnesota%20Vacation%20199.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

One word answer. NO

They are going for way over the sticker price. Plus all they will do is devalue for a long time. Don't get me wrong they are nice cars but in the end all they are is another new mustang. Granted SC'ed but they will always be there and will be cheaper in a year or two.

Just my two cents

Well that basically sums up what I was thinking. Can always get a GT500 (at least in the next 3 years) but I'll never find another 66 like this one. Thanks guys!

Beautiful car! DO NOT sell it! How can you only drive it 500 miles per year? That's outrageous! Drive that baby everywhere, it'll give you a smile on your face that money can't buy. While mine isn't yet a classic, it is 27 years old. I drive it daily (during the nice weather) in some capacity and even drive it 2.5 hours each way to the track. Once there, I beat it and then drive home. There's something to be said about the fun factor. You can do it too!

Keep the 66. I just sold my 04 convertable to buy a 67 coupe. In one weeks time Ive got more thumbs up, nice car, then I have ever had in my 04. Plus the 66 has soul, this new Shelby want-to-be is just over priced and sure you might be able to go fast but just more for your insurance to take care of :nono: Just my 2 cents :eek:

Off topic... What size rims and tires do you have on the 66?

I take back my answer. I was typing a another response with the notion that you probably just don't enjoy driving classics as much as some others. Then I thought, well hey maybe he just enjoys owning and looking at this cherried stang as much as others enjoy driving them. As they say, "diferent strokes for diferent folks". :flag:

It's abeautiful car. For fastbacks I like the early models much more than the 67-68's.

Y2K4 STANG said:
Keep the 66. I just sold my 04 convertable to buy a 67 coupe. In one weeks time Ive got more thumbs up, nice car, then I have ever had in my 04. Plus the 66 has soul, this new Shelby want-to-be is just over priced and sure you might be able to go fast but just more for your insurance to take care of :nono: Just my 2 cents :eek:

Very well said :nice:

KEEP THE 66!!
If you sell it you will most certainly regret it. I bought a 69 fastback in 1989 for $2000 and sold it for less not a year later. I've been kicking my own A** since then.
Like everyone else has said, you can get the new one later at a much better price. That 66 is priceless in my mind. Isn't it in yours?