Would you trade-in for a C5 Corvette?

GTJeff

Jan 15, 2007
I have had my 2005 Mustang GT for 2.5 years now. I use it for a pleasure only. The older C5 Corvettes (1997 - 2000) have come down to $20-25,000 in price. I feel myself being tempted by the dark side...:nonono:

I don't need the back seat. I like the fact that the Corvette Coupe has a removal roof. I like the look of the C5 over the C6 style. I like my Mustang but I still think about owning a Corvette.

How about some feedback ... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I had a Corvette C4 and two Camaro Z28s and the removal roof is a great asset and it's like having two different cars.

I also had a Corvette C5 Z06. It was a great car and I still can't look at one without getting a bit jealous about that low low bonnet line and supercar looks. They are not without their issues though. 2000-on cars are better with worthwhile improvements over the earlier cars. Some of the issues are a rocking seat, leaking diff seals, battery issues which if not resolved drip acid onto the ECU underneath it, some earthing problems.

Overall, however, it's a great car and very reliable if maintained. I still miss my Z06 a little, just for the looks but if I'm honest, my modified supercharged S-197 is it's equal in just about every respect and more practical. Given the choice again and if I only needed two seats, I'd probably go back to the Z06 for this reason:
627465_94_full.jpg

but in a choice involving a stock C5, it would have to be a good one and at least have the Z51 suspension.

Yeah, if i had a good amount of money i would love a sick z06 vette, that is a nice one in the pic!!!

Someday when i'm older and rich i'll get one. lol.

My track does a mustang race and a vette race on the same day, vette vs vette, stang vs stang.

Stangs average in the 12-14 e.t range.
And vettes in the 11-13 e.t range.

This is at least how it is at my track.

Either way at least their both American!!! :flag:

Really depends. I live in DE so with the winters and everything there is no way i would have a vette for my daily driver

If i lived down south with no winter weather to worry about it would be no contest vette hands down

I don't want to start a vette vs mustang thread since I don't think its fair to compare the 2
Since they cater to completely diffrent crowds

I did test drive a 99 automatic vette before buying my 06 gt. It felt about equal to the stang but now with a few bolt ons i have doubts if it could keep up
add that to paying 23k for a used car with 60k miles and I just couldn't justify the vette

I cant believe someone even asked this question on a mustang forum. You must be out of you damn mind to trade a Mustang for a Corvette. Maybe get a corvette if you can afford both?! But never get rid of a Mustang to buy a Vette. That would be grounds for your dismissal from this world. Put some money into that S197 and smoke the hell out of that Chevy! Thats just my opinion as a Mustang Lover!:flag:

Being an old chevy fan, I'd trade my stang for most any corvette, with the exception of those made before 1955, and also with the exception of the C4. Aside from that, I'd take most any of them.

If I had my choice, I'd take either a C6 Z06, or a 63 split window stingray. Granted, I'm living in a dream world, but then again....this is kinda a dream thread.
I do love my stang right now, but looking back to the the mid to late 60's, there is nothing else on earth that feels or sounds like an old big block chevy.... especially in a fiberglass car:D

I wouldn't trade one mustang for 6 vettes. These new stangs are an old mans dream come true. Hurst shifters, louvers, hood pins, it's like 1968 all over again. I mean in 68 I was only 8 years old, but in the 70's when I started driving the old mustangs were still the bomb, I had a 66 convertable, 67 convertable, 67 fastback, 68 gt fastback and 69 mach 1. These new stangs are awesome, you can't put a price tag on memories like these new stangs bring back. Also I'm a diehard ford man, I might trade for a shelby or new gt-40, but vette, "never"!!!!!

That is a nice one...:nice:

Did you trade it because you needed a back seat ?

Yes although ironically I still haven't really used the back seat of the Mustang as my son is a bit too young not to trash it and we have a Mazda 5 for family chores. Don't get me wrong though, braking aside (where the Vette is exceptional anyway), the supercharged Mustang does everything the Z06 did and on nour runs, the Stang and my friends C5 Z06 are evenly matched (similar power to weight).

The stock C5 has 345 0r 350hp and weighs a bit less than the Stang too so it's not going to be slower any time soon.

But the Vette's looks are better in certain colors (electron blue and black particularly). My friends is red so it doesn't bother me so much.

As for daily driver, my friend's Z06 has covered around 30000 miles in 3 years and is used day in, day out in every kind of weather with no problems at all. I don't know why people think they are expensive to run. It's a pushrod engine and all you do is change the oil. Far less complex than the 4.6. It's different with the C6 Z06 - the cost of the 6 brake pads per wheel will break you as well as brake you.

Here they are together - bear in mind my Mustang is lowered!
2177534_165_full.jpg

I would vote mustang, for the reason that I think they ride better. Well and I am a die hard Ford type of guy. The Z series is a very impressive line of cars but I think in the lower dollar range the Mustang GT is the common man's Z06.
I say keep the Stang and mod out the exterior and after forging the bottom end, put a ton of nitrous through it and make your Vette friends scratch their heads when they can't keep up :nice: just my $.02

I don't own either, but JMHO, the Mustangs are much, MUCH sexier. I've never cared for 'Vettes.

And for some reason I can't imagine a 'Vette without a balding 60 year-old sporting an unbuttoned shirt, hairy chest, and large gold chains at the wheel. That kinda' diminishes any cool-factor it may have had prior.

(no offense if you fit that description!) :D

~SM

Well the vettes are definatly sweet cars we were looking at C5's before we bought the mustang and I have to say I wouldnt change my decision in a minute. The mustang just has a completely different feel of nostalgia and muscle than the vettes sports car style. Also pretty much every guy I have encountered in a vette has been a real jerk so I dunno obviously cool guys own corvettes but it just seems like a different crowd of people driving them

One other thing to consider, is tradition. The Mustang has always looked to it's root and stayed true to the original. If you look at any Mustang, and break it down to it' components, it has always remained basically the same car.

On the other hand, the Corvette has always pushed the limits of current technology, regardless of when it was produced. The only common thread is that its always been fiberglass. Back in the day, the Corvette was one of the first cars with fuel injection. 20 years later, the mustang had it. In recent years, I feel that the Vette has become too large, and too luxurious. While it is still one hell of a respectable sports car, I feel that it's starting to loose it's roots.