wow the trans removale is fun...

HeMiBoB

Apr 4, 2011
Not
So I worked 5+ hours and the trans is still in the car, I finally found the last bolt behind the starter....
It will be left out this round, but how did you guys go about doing this job..

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what kind of trans, but it's not that difficult of a job, IMO. Manual is the easiest. Go up top and pull the shifter. Jack the car up as high as you possibly can and put it on stands. MAKE SURE IT IS STABLE BEFORE CRAWLING UNDERNEATH! Crawl under the car, disconnect the O2 sensors, unbolt the H-pipe, pull the driveshaft, pull the starter (usually easiest with 2x 10" extensions reaching over the control arm), disconnect the electrical connections, put a jack under the transmission and remove the crossmember, lower the transmission down, unbolt bellhousing bolts from engine, lower transmission and slide it out from under the car. If you're doing an auto, you'll need to have a breaker bar handy, to turn the engine over, so you can unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate. If you have everything you need ready to go, it's about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour job from start to finish.

After my last tranny swap, I learned an "easy" way to get to that top starter bolt. You will need a 6" extension with a wobble tip and a normal 3/8" drive ratchet. You may have to fish around a bit to get the socket onto the bolt head, but it will work. I even have LT headers on mine and it still worked.

Like this...

GRE1103WE.jpg

I got an entire set of those extensions from Harbor Freight for like $10 or so. It came with 3 1/2" drive, 3 3/8" drive, and 3 1/4" drive extensions.