Wrap That Thing!

• Sponsors (?)

Threads like this make me feel like tackling a wrap is wayyyy easier than it is. Nice work, I know how much trouble I had wrapping the console in my corvette. Can't imagine trying a car

Reactions: 1 user
I used to do vinyl tops back in the day, got used to how heat and tension would eliminate wrinkles, but a wrap and around all those contours looks insane, I think I'd lose my mind.

How does it look where you seamed it where there was no natural seam on the car?

I have to imagine if I was to do this, the first fender would be perfect, the second less so and so on, until the last fender was a total rushed mess.

Reactions: 1 users
How does it look where you seamed it where there was no natural seam on the car?

I have to imagine if I was to do this, the first fender would be perfect, the second less so and so on, until the last fender was a total rushed mess.
You can tell there is a seam. Not noticeable if just glancing at the car, but they are definitely there.

And yes, i was definitely loosing my patience by the end of it!

Today's excitement

20170602_143331.jpg

20170602_193636.jpg

In other news, will probably be putting the stripes back on tomorrow :nice: ran out of time to cut them out tonight.​

Reactions: 4 users
Today's excitement

20170602_143331.jpg

20170602_193636.jpg

In other news, will probably be putting the stripes back on tomorrow :nice: ran out of time to cut them out tonight.​
That's a sweet looking table! I used to run a router/engraving table for a sign co. but was much older that that, ran some bigger Multi-cam units for a bit too, amazing the stuff you can do eh? The wrap looks awesome and as I've mentioned, I really dig the C stripes. Not something you see much on a fox and a cool nostalgic nod to the fore bearers...

That's a sweet looking table! I used to run a router/engraving table for a sign co. but was much older that that, ran some bigger Multi-cam units for a bit too, amazing the stuff you can do eh? The wrap looks awesome and as I've mentioned, I really dig the C stripes. Not something you see much on a fox and a cool nostalgic nod to the fore bearers...
What are those dimensions in anyway? The Z on the pad says -508, that looks to be 1/4 cintra or maybe poster board??
Sorry for off topic blah, blah

That is our engraver at work. Its a smallish one, and can engrave a substrate up to 12" x 24" x about 2" probably (thickest stuff I've ever cut with it was 1"). If I wanted to do anything larger than 12 x 24, I'd have to do several pieces and put them together. I'll throw some pictures up in Noobz'sss new thread in the next day or two. I have to be up way tooo early tomorrow to throw boxes around.

What are those dimensions in anyway? The Z on the pad says -508, that looks to be 1/4 cintra or maybe poster board??
Sorry for off topic blah, blah
I'm not exactly sure what units it is in. The Z was zeroed where the cutter was just touching the substrate, and that was probably its second of three passes. The board I was using in the picture us 1/4 solid plastic. It's nice for garage signs, as it's light, and it has a really nice edge when it's contur cut like that. We also use a lot of material that is aluminum on both sides with a solid plastic core. It's slightly heavier, but looks great as well.

The majority of these are on the aluminum board, and the contour cut ones were cut out with a jigsaw. They were printed out using our wide format printer, that is capable of printing up to 60"

FB_IMG_1496629978155.jpg
FB_IMG_1496630001084.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome! And I used to have that exact same firepit I think! The bottom finally rusted out. I wish we had a cutter at work. All we have is a wall mounted board cutter that's only good for foam or gator. All the aluminum we cut with utility blades or a jig saw. We're usually doing decals or partial wraps or we do a ton of 18x24 yard signs and an equal ton of 4'x8' signs. I will help with the cutting sometimes, but I'm usually out fixing plotters or running construction blueprints.

Curious as to why you pieced it together do much? Only two seams on mynfox are one at the top of each quarter panel. Bumpers, hatch etc were all done in one continuous sheet.

This is my vinyl wrapped hooptie
Screenshot_20170610-223908.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170610-223908.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
Curious as to why you pieced it together do much? Only two seams on mynfox are one at the top of each quarter panel. Bumpers, hatch etc were all done in one continuous sheet.

This is my vinyl wrapped hooptie

Cost??

This car is a 10 foooter at best. I could have used a 5' wide x (im guessing) 6' long piece to do the hatch. Instead i used about 5' x 2 1/2' of vinyl to do the whole hatch. Bumpers would have been much more waste doing them in one peice too. Piecing it together probably saved about 1/2 price on the vinyl.

I've gotten many compliments from strangers on the car so far, so I'm happy with it.

Maybe i misunderstand? If your saying they did the hatch / bumper all as one peice when they put it on, they still had to cut it? In that case, i did one peice at a time because i was less likely to screw up a small peice vs a bigger one.

I don't think Nick was being critical Joe, just curious.

I'm amazed at what you did.

I'm also highly impressed with Nick's car as well. Too bad we don't hear anything about that silver t-top these days though.......

Reactions: 1 users