Wrecked hopes / Fond Memories

• Sponsors (?)

This story kills me everytime I read it. I just got a 65 coupe a few months ago and I don't really have enough money to build it like I want it yet but believe me. If I had the resources to give, I would pass them on in a heartbeat. But you are talking to a bunch of good guys that have one passion, cars. I won't be suprised at how many people here will jump in to help you get that FB back to it's glory days. Good luck!

I have a parts list started

65straightsick said:
... I just got a 65 coupe a few months ago and I don't really have enough money to build it like I want it yet ...

Just keep working at it, having it on the road is a great incentive. There is a LOT of great info on this board and I've been checking it out ever since I got the call from Ron.

Along that line, I've added some of the recomendations I found here to my parts list. The Page I have up on the rebuild is Here
As you can see in the pics I've a LONG way to go.

~Roy.

351carlo said:
Messing with a persons car is just about the lowest thing you can do. It's almost as bad as messing with someones wife/girlfriend. It's one step below messing with someone's beer.

The penalty for stealing a classic mustang should be that he has to buy every single damn part the man put into it. And then serve jail time making money to pay for the parts. That's just ashame.
YES YES YES YES, you said it. The bastard should be made to cough up every nickel required to fix the car. I would lose it, I don't know what I'd do and it sounds like my car is a far cry from his.

meanroy said:
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the call, I really appreciate it.
I am working on getting it back together but it's a major major job!
I kind of glanced over the previous posts and I should clarify one thing. The harness did NOT fail. From the position of the belt it looked like it wasn't fastened. Whoever stole it failed to steal the cross-bar and shoulder harness anyway so the belt wouldn't have helped much.
Here is a link to the page I put up while building it, and one to my guestbook where you can read some details not in the article.

If anyone has parts laying around they can pass on, I'll be overjoyed.
As anyone who has seen any of the pics can testify, I have to replace the entire front of the car, about 50% actually. Suspension is totally trashed, only things left are the Springs and Konis. I'm going to have to rebuild the tranny, the tailshaft housing is broken and the tailshaft bent. Rear end seems ok.

I have managed to come up with a front clip but it's totally bare.

Here are a couple of pics, engine going in, and engine coming out.
014_11a.jpg

My Son is giving my a hand getting it out.
ComingoutSQ.JPG
As soon as I get my front end done, I will have a complete set of control arms I will gladly send you if you still need em at that time.

Okay Roy, I think I have a couple of new mechanical fuel pumps laying around. I believe they're just stock pumps, is this okay? I think I have an extra set of shock tower braces (firewall to towers, two pieces, not export brace). I have a straight Monte Carlo bar as well. I have a set of upper and lower control arms with Granada spindles, rotors and calipers off of a '64 or '64 Falcon, should bolt in. Not sure of all the condition, I'd replace the ball joints and turn the rotors and the calipers would need a rebuild kit. Does any of this stuff interest you?

I'd need to see how much this all would cost to ship, I wonder if people that are willing to help, but have no parts would be willing to help out in the cost of shipping. I'm in Oklahoma City.

Larry

1320stang said:
Okay Roy, I think I have a couple of new mechanical fuel pumps laying around. I believe they're just stock pumps, is this okay? I think I have an extra set of shock tower braces (firewall to towers, two pieces, not export brace). I have a straight Monte Carlo bar as well. I have a set of upper and lower control arms with Granada spindles, rotors and calipers off of a '64 or '64 Falcon, should bolt in. Not sure of all the condition, I'd replace the ball joints and turn the rotors and the calipers would need a rebuild kit. Does any of this stuff interest you?

I'd need to see how much this all would cost to ship, I wonder if people that are willing to help, but have no parts would be willing to help out in the cost of shipping. I'm in Oklahoma City.

Larry
I would be happy to help in shipping costs. Drop me an e-mail [email protected] when you have things figured out. I can send you some money via paypal.

I hardly know what to say!

1320stang said:
First I need to find out if he wants any of it and if so, how much. I need to take pics of the arms/brake assemblies for him to peruse of course.

I can't tell you just how much it means to me to have you guys chip in and help me out.

I've been depressed for months, even while working to get it back together.

I can definitely use the front end parts, I had been looking into Granada brakes but didn't figure I actually could come up with the bucks. I don't think I can use the straight Monte Carlo bar with the 351W engine unless I re-locate the attachment points, but I read the thread here on "Export Brace Options" and I can fab something, I think. There were some nice illustrations there BTW.

I can probably work out shipping money. I'm on a budget of *about* 100.00 / week but it isn't regular and I figured I'd get it back together in about 6-8 years if I was lucky. LOL!

I'm doing the body work myself, putting the front clip together is going to be tough. I'm hoping I can get one of the 'pros' around here (S.J.) to at least take a look and lend a little direction. The clip is an "absolutely bare" clip, but still has shocktowers. If you checked out the pics you can see the rear of the drivers side door is molded around the cage. That also is going to be a bear.

On my way home from the storage yard (in Oakland) I stopped by at Maier Racing to show Mike how the sub-frame connectors and cage held up. I met a fellow there by chance who lives in my area. (Jose) He is actually the one who encouraged me enough to get started. He came over weekend before last and helped pull the engine out. He has donated a drivers side door and a new (old) oil pan, as well.

I'm going to try to open up the engine next week, the pan hit the swaybar but it doesnt look like the crank hit anything. (fingers crossed)

Thanks,
Roy.

Well guys....do we have anything that can help Roy out? I just IMed him and asked him to get a list together of the things he needed to get the car back on the road and hopefully he will post it here.

We need to keep bumping this thread so as many people as possible see it. It would be great if there were some poeple near him that might be able to help him out as that would really cut down on shipping.....I am stripping 3 cars in the next couple of months (hopefully) and I will see if I can provide anything but I'm in Texas and some things may be cost prohibitive to ship.

Let's try to keep this one up top if we can .

I don't really have much to offer but a hand on the weekends if needed as I myself am pretty broke. Let me know if you need help doing anything with the car as I am only about an hour away. I can help swap parts, motors, turn wrenchs, etc. Let me know.

-Chris

PM me on here or e-mail me @ [email protected]

Thanks Chris.....that is what this hobby is all about. I'm hoping there will be some people out there close to Roy that may be able to help. If I lived within an hour or two from him I would be over there whenever he needed help and I had a free day but I'm in Texas so that kind of kills that so maybe I can help by making sure more people learn of Roy's situation.

I just got back from a week at church camp and I'm catching up on work right now (it's 11:45 pm CST right now). I should be able to get to the stuff I spoke of this weekend. Sorry 'bout that. I was just wondering about Roy today.

This is great news!

Thanks fellows, I e-mailed Chris.
BTW Chris, it would be a good idea to put a space in any e-mail address you post to avoid spammers harvesting it with robots. It's easy enough to take it out when replying.
I'm working on a list which I have posted at This location
I'll try to organize it today. It's kind of stream of conciousness right now.

I'm getting a little help with the body work from a guy I met on another board, though he doesn't have a frame machine we may be able to go without it. Any expert advise or help in that area will be gratefully recieved.

The folks that did my powder coating originally are cleaning up the clip as a favor. (sand blasting)

On the mechanical side, I have to rebuild the T5, the tailshaft housing is broken and the tailshaft actually appears to be bent! I may be able to manage getting the parts, I don't know, but I've never rebuilt a T5 and don't know the tricks if there are any. Randys Ring and pinion think the rear-end is probably ok since it was hit head on..

Roy.

Sounds interesting.

70XR7ConvertCat said:
Roy,

If you're interested, I have what I believe is the stock carburetor off my '67 289. I think it's a Carter. Worked great before the engine threw a rod. I can drop it off on you next time I'm down in the South bay.

Steve C.
I'm not real familiar with the Carters but I've heard good things about them. If the bolt pattern is the same as an Edelbrock it should work. Do you get down here often?
You'd be welcome to hang out and wrench a little any weekend if so inclined too. (or weekday actually, I'm almost always here)
I've just about got the garage clean enough to start tearing the engine down!
Roy.

meanroy said:
I'm not real familiar with the Carters but I've heard good things about them. If the bolt pattern is the same as an Edelbrock it should work. Do you get down here often?
You'd be welcome to hang out and wrench a little any weekend if so inclined too. (or weekday actually, I'm almost always here)
I've just about got the garage clean enough to start tearing the engine down!
Roy.

Roy,

Right now I get down to San Jose at least every other weekend. I've got two Cougar projects. The '70 I'm finishing up myself (as time allows). The other is a '67 currently based at The Mustang Corral in San Jose. This one is an EFI conversion. You can e-mail me your address and contact information at [email protected], and I can arrange to at least drop it off next time I'm down there.

Steve C.