WTF are they thinking????

• Sponsors (?)

WOW all this in the mist of them asking for a bail out.... hmmm there hurting for money that bad that they have to go after the very men and woman that support them and buy there cars ! WOW what a great way to SHAT on your cutomers and supporters !

Excuse me but why should other people make money off of their copyrighted material? If you had something trademarked you would want royalties too, you can easily make forum about for cars or any other brand without using logos or trade marked names. You can use personal pictures to enhance your site.....if people on these sites and forums are "big" supporters they should have plenty of personal pictures for websites and forums. My $0.02

P.S. Stangnet webmaster s are very smart. Do you see any ford logos on their site? No. only in Ford paid for advertising...all they have is a picture of a GT-500 it doesn't say Ford, Shelby, Mustang or GT-500 on it anywhere so they can claim it's one of their personal cars.......You have to be smart when you're using logos pictures and names, those other sites need to follow Stangnet as an example.

I agree that people do not have the right to make money from the use of trademarked or copyrighted materials. However, suing someone because they use the word "Ranger" in the name of a forum dedicated to enthusiasts of Ford Ranger vehicles is total BS. So, when I'm searching for a forum to get information on modifying my newly purchased Ranger I should google " small pickup from the blue oval forum"...oh wait, the blue oval is trademarked too.......

I also agree that using trademarked images for banners/etc should not be allowed. Like you said, plenty of content can be provided by the users themselves. However, if the content is used for recreational use, and not commercial use, then there should be no problem with it.

Most owners/operators of these forums are not living off from any revenue generated by them, in fact many end up paying out of their own pockets just to keep them running.

On the other hand, the forums ARE promoting the companies products, aftermarket support, and in many cases running banner ads directly marketing to their users. Many people make decisions about what vehicle to purchase based on research done on these types of forums.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war, but I also think that it is just wrong for a company to kick its most loyal customers like this in what amounts to extortion from my point of view.

It's common practice to protect company brands. I was even contacted by the PBA (Professional Bowlers Tour) about my bowling website, because there are many discussions of the PBA Tour on my forums.

Think about all the work warning posts that get posted on some of these sites? Ford cannot be associated with websites with their brand that could appear to be sexist or racist or anything like that.

It isn't biting the hand that feeds them. It's protecting the value and integrity of a brand that costs millions of dollars to build.

WOW all this in the mist of them asking for a bail out.... hmmm there hurting for money that bad that they have to go after the very men and woman that support them and buy there cars ! WOW what a great way to SHAT on your cutomers and supporters !

First of all, Ford CEO Alan Mulally has already stated they have enough cash and secured credit to keep them afloat well through 2009. And would seek a credit line of $9 billion, only as a critical backstop or safeguard against worsening conditions as Ford drives transformational change in their company.

In addition, Mulally's main reason for testifying before Congress. Was to seek support for the auto industry.

Therefore Ford is not hurting for money, at this time.

That being said, I strongly recommend that you read Ford's business plan, in which I've posted a link below for you to examine !

The Ford Story - Ford's Response to the Automotive Industry Bailout Plan | Ford Vehicles

yeah, fords doing the best from what i hear. gm and chrysler are looking really bad. as much as i'm not a chevy guy, i would hate to see them go out of business. i'd rather see a chevy on the road then a honda. over a hundred years chevrolet has been around. i respect american auto companies, and their past. alot of bad ass cars have come from these 3 companys and their side companys.

I understand both points of view to this topic. Yes, its unfair to Ford that someone else makes profit off of their brand. But think of this: Ford is also getting a ton of free marketing that is far more effective than anything they could put out in a brochure or commerical. Word of mouth is the best marketing available.

Also think of this point of view: why is it illegal to make money of a product with the Ford logo, but completely legal to make money off a part that is specifically design for and works only with the Mustang or any other individual vehicle? You are making profit off of the brand still...

i could be wrong in thinking this, but ford owns the blue oval symbol, ford owns the name mustang to be associated with the car, ford has the right to call their truck the ranger, etc.

the part you are designing, is a completely different part, design, how its manufactured, the material, etc. you are designing it for that car, but your only advertising it fits 05-09 mustangs, etc. if you put a giant blue oval on it, and wrote ford inside of that, i can see every right to ford suing, for using their name on a product.

when i clicked and read a little of the ranger stations reason for getting sued, its for selling a product that had the ford logo on it. i see every right ford had to sue, using someone elses logo with out permission is definitely a good reason to sue IMO.

None the less I find this outlandinsh BS all to much to be inconjunction with the auto world needed bailouts. And red05bullitgt<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7739167", true); </SCRIPT> either way ford STILL ASKED FOR MONEY! Why ask if you dont need it...... and dont spin the wheel of a ".....just in case" scene. Ford has known for a VERY LONG time that there logo was being used is it wrong YES...did they care at the time NO, NOW all of a sudden they decided hey why not. In the mist of everything that is going on in the economy right now Ford should be happy that there still in buinsess making the money they are NOT going after the hands that feed them ......FOR NOW..... ( Just my 2 cents...I dont mean to offend anyone..and yes red I wasnt bashing on you..just making a point)

None the less I find this outlandinsh BS all to much to be inconjunction with the auto world needed bailouts. And red05bullitgt<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7739167", true); </SCRIPT> either way ford STILL ASKED FOR MONEY! Why ask if you dont need it...... and dont spin the wheel of a ".....just in case" scene. Ford has known for a VERY LONG time that there logo was being used is it wrong YES...did they care at the time NO, NOW all of a sudden they decided hey why not. In the mist of everything that is going on in the economy right now Ford should be happy that there still in buinsess making the money they are NOT going after the hands that feed them ......FOR NOW..... ( Just my 2 cents...I dont mean to offend anyone..and yes red I wasnt bashing on you..just making a point)

I wasn't spinning anything, as I had simply posted what Ford submitted to Congress with it's re-structural plan, and nothing more. And once again, Mulally was asking for a 9 billion line of credit, and had clearly stated that Ford would tap into it, only in the event of economic conditions worsening. Or if either GM or Chrysler were to go under, however Ford did not request any federal bailout cash from Congress whatsoever.

In the meantime, Ford is in the best financial shape out of the domestic big 3 combined, and also stands the best chance of surviving as well !