WTF hanging high idle AGAIN!!!

larrym1961

5 Year Member
Dec 18, 2010
Idaho Falls Id
Several years ago I was plagued with the dreaded hanging high idle. A good person here on Stangnet put me wise to the "salt & pepper" 10 pin connectors that need cleaning and pins opened up a bit to make good contact to cure the hanging idle. It worked great for several years then recently it has crept up again. I did the ole "salt & pepper maintenance procedure again and still did not work this time!

Any one have any suggestions on what I can check for now?

• Sponsors (?)

See the "Surging Idle Checklist” for help with all your idle/stall problems. You can guess at the problem and throw parts at it, or you can use the checklist to help you find the problem quickly and inexpensively. The checklist is right here in the Stangnet 5.0 Tech forum and you don’t have navigate to some other unknown web site. It‘s free and doesn’t cost anything: at last count there were more than 103,000 visits and still climbing

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the fixes & updates. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.

Thanks Joe, I'll check on these. I pulled codes last night, of course a code 11, so I will have to see what else I have going on here. I may have a vaccume leak That has crept some where I need to find.

Also on adjusting base idle speed, does that pertain to a vehicle with a stock cam or would that apply also to a motor with a cam such as the E303 like I have?

Thanks Joe, I'll check on these. I pulled codes last night, of course a code 11, so I will have to see what else I have going on here. I may have a vaccume leak That has crept some where I need to find.

Also on adjusting base idle speed, does that pertain to a vehicle with a stock cam or would that apply also to a motor with a cam such as the E303 like I have?
I haven't tried on an engine with a aftermarket cam. Give it a try after you have eliminated all the possibilities for vacuum leaks and fixed any codes or obvious problems.

No codes. Can't find any vaccume leaks. And since the hanging idle happens after the motor is warmed up and goes back to normal after I shut off the motor and restart, plus I cleaned the salt & Pepper 10 pin connectors, seems to point to the ChepeZone TPS I have on there. I am going to get a Motorcraft TPS from Rockauto and try that. Had a mechanic tell me once that when it comes to those type parts buy Motorcraft only.
Thanks to the SURGING IDLE thread I got the TPS info from that.