WTF Neon! Can a GT beat one!?!?!!

Automobile tested the Stage 3 SRT-4.
355 hp and 365 ft/lbs using 91 octane.
2970 lbs
0-60 in 5.0 secs
1/4 mile in mid 12's @110+

This is no laughing matter!!!!! Although it is still a Dodge Neon as cLeAnRaCiNgLdR stated. Just as the Camaro and Firebirds clearly had the performance edge over the similar year Mustangs they died out...hp/performance alone does not make a car great.

• Sponsors (?)

I feared the srt-faig. Its a quick little car and all though when one that is heavily modded may take us we can say "well your driving a neon", point is you just got beat by a neon. So unless its real late at night and there is no one else on the road I wouldn't run one.

But for the record I slapped one around like I do my wife,this weekend rolling start. I had atleast 5 cars on him and this was from 2nd gear to about 4th. I really didn't pay attention to the speed. I also have a jlt cai and brenspeed tune. I think the faig was stock also. :D

My brother has an SRT-4 I forget his ET but i was really surprised at his trap speed. All he has done is an intake, exhaust, and a stage 2 wastegate, and he traped at 104mph! Even though i've never raced him I can tell by his trap speed that from a roll my Mach 1 would only walk him ever so slightly. I was in disbelief, but apparently these cars can make some nice power with a little bit of money put into them. But hey don't feel bad, you can put all they money in the world into those car but it will NEVER sound as good as a Mustang

back guys, yea for sure, nothing like that sweet rumble from our V8's, why would anyone want to have a car that sounds like a 747 lol, i heard no engine just "air" lol, hopefully this is not the norm, finding one of these neons that fast, i am assuming it had an aftermarket turbo, also had no wing on it, so really suprised me.

Those SRT-4's respond to mods really well. A couple of my friends around here have had some modded SRT-4's that had some SERIOUS top end.
They're definitely "punch buggies" though... only good from a rolling punch.

Having owned two mustangs (still have one) and owning an SRT-4 also.. I love my mustangs dont get me wrong, but the srt is one quick lil SOB. Granted, mine has a few goodies thrown at it.

And its true, they have little if any chance from a standing start.. but, they can also run you down in a hurry as well.

Like I said, im not basin.. not hating.. anything like that.. I love mustangs, I drove nothing but mustangs until a few months ago. 28 yrs old . (got the srt.. I drive a bunch for a living) 4 door car, front wheel drive.. good mpg (as long as you keep your foot out of it) handles well.. and so far, are holding their value pretty well also.

Yeah, it doesnt have the sound of a strong v8.. but, it does what I need it to do...

look at it this way, its the ONLY front wheel drive car I would ever buy,.. and.. its American made!! :flag:

Yes a GT can beat a SRT-4....

However, any car that is running boost and weighs under 3000 lbs is a real potential threat because it is way too easy to turn up the boost, and it is a really light car to begin with. That is just simply a great recipe for some very low power to weight ratios and an overall fast car.

That is why they have so much potential, and probably why you got smoked.

I will say this, I took a Stage 1 SRT-4 at my track when I had just a CAI and tune with no real problem. That is the only SRT-4 I have ever raced however.

Yes a GT can beat a SRT-4....

However, any car that is running boost and weighs under 3000 lbs is a real potential threat because it is way too easy to turn up the boost, and it is a really light car to begin with. That is just simply a great recipe for some very low power to weight ratios and an overall fast car.

That is why they have so much potential, and probably why you got smoked.

I will say this, I took a Stage 1 SRT-4 at my track when I had just a CAI and tune with no real problem. That is the only SRT-4 I have ever raced however.

My srt is a stage one, .. stage one doesnt really add much power at all. right now I think it costs around 400 bones,.. gives you 10hp and 15 ft/lbs. not a lot of power... but, what it does do,.. is allow you to mess with the car a little more without throwing engine codes. The stock ECM in those things are kinda picky.. especially the 05's.

Ohh, and anybody you talk to, hear about.. ect that claims to have a stock tubo's srt pushing anything more than 17 lbs of boost, is a moron. sure, the motor will take it, the turbo can give it.. the the computer pulls timing back with anything beyond 18.25 lbs/boost.

Im feeding 15 into my srt right now.. just wish I had the means to feed 15lbs into the stang.. now THAT would be a ride!! :)

Ohh, heads up for you guys, if you hear an srt makin all kinds of loud turbo noise,.. blow-off noise.. it doesnt mean it has an aftermarket turbo on it, a simple cold air intake will make all that racket.

Hunt and killem boys, I like my srt.. but I love my mustangs!! :D

a win is a win no matter what it is in.

:nice: Not only that, but if you take a decent platform and throw money at it...it SHOULD perform. There is ALMOST always somebody out there quicker and faster than you... I am in it just for the fun and pleasure of owning a Mustang, be it a 14 second or 6 second 1/4 mile car or whether it will do 130MPH or over 200MPH. It is a killer looking car.

Ya know... I drive a DD Toyota RAV4 most of the time to work. Ricers always want to take off on me. If they do, I just think about the fact they are driving ricers and I got a new stang GT at home.

Now, if I'm driving the GT and a neon takes me, I just sit back and think... there still driving a neon, and I still have a fox body 331 w/ N20 sitting in the garage. And the world seems in balance.

Just be happy you got a stang, who cares if you win or lose, its all about you enjoying what you got.

Ya know... I drive a DD Toyota RAV4 most of the time to work. Ricers always want to take off on me. If they do, I just think about the fact they are driving ricers and I got a new stang GT at home.

Now, if I'm driving the GT and a neon takes me, I just sit back and think... there still driving a neon, and I still have a fox body 331 w/ N20 sitting in the garage. And the world seems in balance.

Just be happy you got a stang, who cares if you win or lose, its all about you enjoying what you got.
i
You know, I couldnt have said it better myself. "its all about you enjoying what you got"

Im not sure that I would ever buy a car built overseas.. unless its a Ferrari .. Lambo... Porsha .. but, I good friend of mine picked up an 06 Toyota Tundra.. pretty nice truck. He loves it.. and, I guess. thats what its all about.

hey, this is life, you get one shot... do whatever makes you happy!! :)

Im not sure that I would ever buy a car built overseas.. unless its a Ferrari .. Lambo... Porsha .. but, I good friend of mine picked up an 06 Toyota Tundra.. pretty nice truck. He loves it.. and, I guess. thats what its all about.

Me neither... I brought a 03 Cobra, two foxes, and a T-bird to the marriage. My wife brought the toyota. We bought the 06 GT to get the bad taste of owning a foreign car out of my mouth.

:lol:

my .02

fast is fast. i can respect a fast neon, but when those cars fall apart at 50k miles, i'll be laughing as i drive by.

See I used to think that until I saw these things handling 21 lbs of boost for more than a few years without blowing up.

That's using an upgraded turbo of course, but I gotta hand it to Dodge for finally using a decent mill.

I wish our cars could easily handle 21 lbs of boost. RWHP would be insane.

:nice: Not only that, but if you take a decent platform and throw money at it...it SHOULD perform. There is ALMOST always somebody out there quicker and faster than you... I am in it just for the fun and pleasure of owning a Mustang, be it a 14 second or 6 second 1/4 mile car or whether it will do 130MPH or over 200MPH. It is a killer looking car.

Money will make anything go fast, and so will gutting a car and dumping all of the funds into the powertrain, but if it's not smooth package, it will not be enjoyable.

My Notch is old-school compared to today's standards but I love the sound of the S-trim whistling with the .534 lift cam thumping away. With 427 to the rear tire I don't fear too many SRT4's; I'd be more worried about coming across an 06 Z06 on the highway.