X pipe or H pipe

• Sponsors (?)

There are some good threads on this site talking about this topic... Just like mufflers, I think it comes down to personal taste (i.e. magnaflows vs. flowmasters). Personally, I have an X - Pipe, but my setup isn't anywhere near agressive enough to where either an X or H pipe would make a difference.

Just an opinion from reading the threads... I am not the expert! :D

When I had my Fox, I did a lot of searching before I did my exhaust system. It's been a while since I did that, but it seems like the general thought was that for mild to moderate builds, an H was a little better as you wouldn't lose the low-end torque. Someone else will know more than me, but I would guess that the difference in performance would be minor on a mild build and it's more personal preference, as stated earlier.

Good luck deciding!

It really is personal preference. But you need to do one or the other for sure. I'm running an H pipe on mine. From my experience,this is what I know:

H pipe = more torque = louder = cheaper $

X pipe = more horsepower = quieter = mo money $

Personally I would rather have more torque. Don't go less than 2 1/2" exhaust and run it all the way to the rear valance.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2576315

In the newer stang world (sn95 and up) everyone swears by the x pipe. To me, the design seems to just plain and simply flow better when it comes to higher hp applications. I'm no exhaust expert, so take that with a grain of salt. I would like to know what would be best for certain applications. Hopefully someone will come in and chime in with an expert opinion.

Hurley--You may want to consider doing a search in the 5.0 Forums. I sold my GT about a year ago, so I'm not in there too often anymore. But, it seems like this topic used to come up in there all the time. If you search there, you may find more info and personal experience w/ X vs. H.

The inventor of the X-pipe, aka Dr Gas (forgot his real name), says that an X is good for like 4 hp max on an 8500 rpm Nascar engine... I read an interview with him where he said that, AND that the X pipe was invented for Nascar, where spending thousands of dollars on 4 hp is acceptable. On a street/strip engine they mean little if anything at all.
Not me talking here. That is from Nascar and the guy that R&D'd the X-pipe.
Sure, he'll sell you one... Why not?

PT Barnum: There's a sucker born every minute!

Save some dough and do the H-pipe.

Edit: Did some math in my head...
If a Nascar engine is good for 800 hp (I don't know for sure, but that's gotta be close), and the X makes 4 hp... That is 0.50% increase in power.
Apply that to your mild 302, making 300 hp for example...
Your gain is 1.5 hp...
For how much $$$$?
Is it worth it?

I'm not sure if cost is a big factor for his application. The big difference in price is the on road vs offroad applications. Cattalytic converter vs. no cats that is. Since this is for a classic, I would assume that an axuast system that magnaflow would be ideal if he wants the x pipe. Comes with the x pipe as part of the package and if I am not mistaken is sold for around $480 through performancepeddler.com I even read on another forum that there was a coupon code to make it under $400 with shipping. Not sure if it is still valid or not.

Just some food for thought.
-Edgar

It really is personal preference. But you need to do one or the other for sure. I'm running an H pipe on mine. From my experience,this is what I know:

H pipe = more torque = louder = cheaper $

X pipe = more horsepower = quieter = mo money $

Personally I would rather have more torque. Don't go less than 2 1/2" exhaust and run it all the way to the rear valance.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2576315

+1 , I went with the H-pipe for the sound, and have been quite pleased since then. I've heard the X pipe on a newer mustang 2000, and it sounded raspy... didn't like it. That same guy bought an 01 cobra w/the X and switch it for an H, and it sounds awesome. Nice classic sound.

I remember reading a dynotest in Hotrod on a 400 something CID Oldsmobile

Results were (approximately) as follows:

No connection between R and L: 400 RWHP, loudest
H pipe: 408 RWHP, more quiet
X pipe: 415 RWHP, more quiet than H pipe

That's more than the 4 HP NASCAR gain, mentioned above, but NASCAR runs of course very free flowing exhaust systems and may actually benefit less from dividing the way exhaust flow is divided between the pipes.

Well I work for Magnaflow-

X pipe make more hp and tq then an X pipe across the board-

(well I should say a properly built X pipe- not all are created equal)

That being said-

I am running an X pipe on my 67 GT500- and an H pipe on my 65 GT350 Hertz clone with the 351W- yet an X pipe on my old mans 66 fastback with a blown 302 and an X pipe on the old mans X 67 fastback with the 347-

Sound is up to you-

Mustang 50 magazine did a test on H vs X pipes.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/4376/index.html

The conclusions were that it made no difference for emissions regulated cars. But for cars not equipped with catalytic converters, the X pipe killed the H pipe.

p32990_image_large.jpg

This was discussed in a thread from last year.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=605983&highlight=benefits+h+pipe

I installed an X pipe on my dual exhaust and the difference was really amazing.