X-pipe questions

5.0_GT_kid

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
Largo, Florida
Alright guys, when I do my next exhaust combo I will be using an off road X-pipe instead of the H-pipe.

I have been looking around at different X-pipes available and I see how the "X" portions are almost always different from one brand to another.

Bassani
View attachment 502845

Magnaflow
93333_lg.jpg

BBK
bbk-1664_w.jpg

Dr. Gas
MLX.gif

So now I'm at loss for what to do next. I was hoping maybe you guys could point me in the direction of which "X" pipe design will make the most power on my car (which will be a 306 with nitrous) or if it will even make any difference at all.

Thanks in advance guys.

• Sponsors (?)

evidently, dr. gas x-pipes have been proven to make 2-3 hp more than the competators...i'm not sure where i've read this, but its been posted on here before...

also check out the PYPES XCHANGE.....its a regular x-pipe with little tubes comin out the side with a plate on them with wing nuts....so when u wanna go to the track, just pop the plates off, and u got open pipes.....PYPES had a booth at teh e-town swap meet last year and they had a fox body with this x-pipe, and their catack, and it sounded MEAN!...my buddy also has longtubes, dr. gas shorty x, and dumpes flows, and that sounded AMAZING!

5.0_GT_kid said:
Juiced - I won't be putting anymore MAC pieces on my car. I have their H-pipe now and it's total crap.

Stprorolla49 - Thanks for the info man, I'm leaning towards the Dr.Gas now after that.
can you please elaborate on why you think your mac h-pipe is total crap. several people on this site constantly bash mac products, where as every mac part i've had has fit much better than the higher dollar counterparts they replaced.

bimmertech said:
can you please elaborate on why you think your mac h-pipe is total crap. several people on this site constantly bash mac products, where as every mac part i've had has fit much better than the higher dollar counterparts they replaced.

The fit is pretty poor IMO. The exhaust shop had to spend about an hour just trying to get it to fit, and they had to cut the original hangers off and weld on new ones.

Not to mention it's aluminized steel and rusting out terribly :notnice:

funny I've had two mac H pipes and a set of mac headers and all fit great. Buddy of mine has mac long tubes and H pipe that have been on and off multiple times without issue. They may rust a bit quicker, although I've never had any issues with it, but fit has always been good for me. Not saying others opinion isn't validated, but poor quality hasn't been an issue with what I have seen.

ponyboy19 said:
funny I've had two mac H pipes and a set of mac headers and all fit great. Buddy of mine has mac long tubes and H pipe that have been on and off multiple times without issue. They may rust a bit quicker, although I've never had any issues with it, but fit has always been good for me. Not saying others opinion isn't validated, but poor quality hasn't been an issue with what I have seen.

I hear ya there, I got a buddy of mine that swears by MAC and has never had a problem with it.

I've heard that with MAC and BBK products, it can be hit or miss as far as the quality goes.

Nik_95Cobra said:
x + chambered = sounds like a dump truck.

I have heard Dr. Gas pipes with chambered muffs and it sounds damn good. It depends on the X section...some produce a good sound and others dont. I have not heard too many good comments on the bbk style cross over...if any at all.

My vote, as my sig says, goes out to the D-pipe.
3_1024.ts1118450595437.jpg

Picture of the cross over:
6_1024.ts1118450595531.jpg

If you dont go with the D-Pipe :fuss: , then i would go with the Dr. Gas. That was my second choice and i have never heard a bad comment about them.

I love my bassani w/ the magnaflow c/b. Sounds awesome....Wouldn't change it for the world...

But I like the transition of the bassani's and the magnaflows. The BBK is pretty much a smaller h-pipe and I have "heard" many bad things about the MAC pieces on this site and others.

I don't think I would ever own a mac product, personally. But that's JMO.

The fitment of the bassani o/r X on my car was absolutely perfect. The fitment of the magnaflow o/r x-pipe on my brothers 03 GT was perfect as well.

But the magnaflow is too damn expensive for my taste. I would go w/ the bassani IMO.
Scott