X-Pipe smog question

4.6guru

Apr 15, 2005
Just wondering what all you CA guys do for an x-pipe. It seems as though everything is illegal unless you get a muffler shop to build you some crappy little "x". Let me know what you all do.

• Sponsors (?)

bdcardinal said:
bingo. only the stock H pipe is legal.

Absolutely not true. There seems to be quite a few urban legends surrounding CA smog legality.

I would suggest researching the CARB website for Executive Orders (EO's) that pertain to state approved aftermarket parts. There are thousands of them, including for replacement of catalytic converters & related piping.

If you can't find what you're looking for, contact CARB directly via e-mail & ask them for a specific make, model, year & modification. They are usually pretty good about returning such inquiries.

I know from experience that 5.0 Mustangs, F150 trucks, Crown Victorias & other similar Ford vehicles that originally came with 4 converters can have them replaced by 2 converters via an X or H-pipe per two separate CARB EO's.
I had to jump through this hoop when I registered my '89 Saleen with a BBK H-pipe.

or do what I did and go to a guy that doesn't even look below your car or know **** about Mustangs. Got mine to pass with a O/R bassani X with catco cats. Now i'll have to figure out if it will pass with my non carb legal Ford racing supercharger in about a year :(

SVT Saleen said:
Absolutely not true. There seems to be quite a few urban legends surrounding CA smog legality.

I would suggest researching the CARB website for Executive Orders (EO's) that pertain to state approved aftermarket parts. There are thousands of them, including for replacement of catalytic converters & related piping.

If you can't find what you're looking for, contact CARB directly via e-mail & ask them for a specific make, model, year & modification. They are usually pretty good about returning such inquiries.

I know from experience that 5.0 Mustangs, F150 trucks, Crown Victorias & other similar Ford vehicles that originally came with 4 converters can have them replaced by 2 converters via an X or H-pipe per two separate CARB EO's.
I had to jump through this hoop when I registered my '89 Saleen with a BBK H-pipe.

you are true in that there are approved converters for those vehicles. however, i was referring to 96 and newer 4.6L mustangs. if you look at CARBs webpage, only the stock H pipe is legal.

99blkcobravert said:
Never had trouble with my supercharged Expedition with full Bassani exhaust passing CA emissions. Also had 36# injectors, but did have to pull the NOS line to the intake tube.

That's good to hear. I wonder what a change in cams would do to the emmisions, the guy at the shop said that it would be a lot harder to pass with blower cams.

I have to agree with SVT Saleen, do your research. For instance, according to the manufacturer, a Magnaflow True X pipe #15447 is 50 state legal because it welds in behind the stock cats. It does not effect the function of them. It, according to them, is considered part of a CAT back system.

I had to swap my stock H-pipe back on (replacing Bassani X-pipe) and disconnect my fuel pressure guage to pass. The tech bitched about the fuel pressure gauge feed line and did not notice the X-pipe, but the sniffer sure found it. Huge difference in emissions between stock and Bassani on my car. Passed no problem with stock cats.