x pipe

TBCOBRA88

Jul 12, 2009
South Carolina
:flag:Hi, I need a few opinions. I have just put the super 44 cat back on my 95 stang, and i was looking for a good x pipe to get, im going to be running stock shorties for now. but i noticed the stock h pipe has vent tubes at the rear of it, What do i need to do about that? and anyone have any good suggestions about a decent x pipe?

• Sponsors (?)

I got a good deal on my BBK, and I also have Super 44's on mine. LOVE the sound. It's great being in the car, too, because it's not loud at all while driving, especially with windows up. Friends who ride behind me always tell me how loud it is, though. :nice: Whatever x pipe you choose, it's gonna sound good. :D

we dont have emission's test here so im wanting to go o/r x pipe. What am i suppose to do about the egr hoses?:shrug:

I don't know what other people are talking about the EGR bung is on the headers not the X/H pipe. I used a penny and JB Weld to plug that hole up.

There is only one extra opening coming off my catted BBK X Pipe and it sure as heck doesn't go to the EGR. That tube connects to the smog pump. When the smog pump was removed I used 3 inches of rubber hose, a large bolt and 2 hose clamps to plug it off.

would be ok to just run a shorter belt and bypass the smog?:D

You've got as few options if it just the Mid pipe you're replacing.

If you're want to remove all the smog equipment (Pump /2 hard lines/ Rubber lines with valves) then run a 90.5 inch belt (stock pulleys). Belt routing is a little different and plug up the left over vacuum lines.

Florida doesn't have emissions tests but I would have preferred to keep the smog. I had to remove it, my heads have no provision for smog. It won't throw a check engine light but it does throw a code.

If your new X/H-pipe has no connection for the smog pump you could just let the tube that goes to the X/H-pipe vent to the atmosphere and leave the pump connected to the back of the heads.

If it does have one then I would just connect it.

I think the Bassani X-pipe is number one on the dyno. I know that the Dr. Gas is overpriced, and it always lands dead last on all the magazine dyno tests. The Mac ProChamber is not really an X-pipe, but in the last dyno test I read about, it did 8hp better than the best X-pipe. That's pretty impressive. The ProChamber would be my choice.

Kurt

sounds goo too from what i hear. well i still have the stock shorty headers, i will be replacing them after i get the mid-pipe. whats the difference between the regular shorties and the equal length?

Equal lengths are this much hp .. and this much pain in the ass .........................................................................

Kurt

I think the Bassani X-pipe is number one on the dyno. I know that the Dr. Gas is overpriced, and it always lands dead last on all the magazine dyno tests. The Mac ProChamber is not really an X-pipe, but in the last dyno test I read about, it did 8hp better than the best X-pipe. That's pretty impressive. The ProChamber would be my choice.

Kurt

Where are you getting these numbers from? Arent bassani pipes upper $200's/just under $300??? But a dr. gas pipe is overpriced at low $200's? What is the HP difference and who did the testing?

The prochamber has been known to make the "most"...but 8rwhp? On top of what you are already gaining by going from cats to offroad?

Its funny though, cause George Klass from accufab who designs headers said the exact opposite. :shrug: X-pipes are not the best.

To me, if you are talking about pipes with no cats....its like comparing the flow of mufflers on a n/a car....the difference is negligible. Choose based on the sound you want....i have heard back a few years that bbk x-pipes sound horrible. Maybe they changed their design?

Where are you getting these numbers from? Arent bassani pipes upper $200's/just under $300??? But a dr. gas pipe is overpriced at low $200's? What is the HP difference and who did the testing?

The prochamber has been known to make the "most"...but 8rwhp? On top of what you are already gaining by going from cats to offroad?

Its funny though, cause George Klass from accufab who designs headers said the exact opposite. :shrug: X-pipes are not the best.

To me, if you are talking about pipes with no cats....its like comparing the flow of mufflers on a n/a car....the difference is negligible. Choose based on the sound you want....i have heard back a few years that bbk x-pipes sound horrible. Maybe they changed their design?

This comes up all the time, so the info stays pretty fresh in my memory. The last dyno test I saw was in 5.0 magazine, where the lined up about 9 intermediaries on the same mustang in one day. It was a fox body 5.0 with heads and cam, producing about 280ish hp to the wheels. The article is at least 5 years old, but most of the intermediary manufacturers have not adjusted their designs much since then anyway. I thought this to be the most pertinent article I have read on the subject, because it was done on the same car, testing only the intermediary itself, and on a car with the most common mods done to 5.0 engines. I think that if you are comparing intermediaries, it doesn't get more scientific than that. I have read a few articles on the subject, but this is the only one that tested all the major manufacturers, and many of the other articles written also tested with different headers and such creating more variables. Anyway, Dr. Gas was the first to introduce the X-pipe in large scale, and kind of got a reputation for it. I was very surprised to see that it landed dead last on the dyno test. I think the main factor in this, is that the Dr. Gas comes in pieces that can be adjusted to fit different exhaust systems. Making all the parts adjustable causes the X to fall in a less optimal location. I was absolutely amazed how far out ahead the ProChamber came. It staggered me. But there is no denying it, when you test it on the same car on the same day. The dyno doesn't lie.

Kurt