x pipes or H pipes

• Sponsors (?)

sounds better but power wise ......If you want power get an X and if your more into sound go with the H, But I know people will say the X can have a nice sound too and that is true but I dont think it sounds as good.....personal preferance....

Most of the car magazines say that its still unkown wich one makes more power. There are some dynos that have shown that one makes more then the other. If your car is mostly stock it will come down to what you think sounds best.

go to www.mustangexhaust.com you can listen to different set ups and see what you like. They also have an article showing that the H made more power then the X on a 4.6 Mustang.

Apples or Oranges when it comes to sound....matter of opinion.

X-Pipes are usually a higher-pitch "scream" wide open from my experience.

I have BBK Longtubes and a shorty off-road H-pipe...sounds pretty deep at idle and has a nice tone throughout the whole RPM range...very loud when it needs to be too.

Some say X-pipes make a little more HP up top but lose a little torque down low...if this is true I think its such a small amount that's it'd be almost negligible on the dyno or at the track.

It doesn't really matter what you get....just whatever you like the sound of better. I got a pro-chamber for my long tubes and it sounds real good. To answer your quesiton, pro-chambers don't have cats so it's not going to be street legal, but unless you have emissions testing, you're fine. Or you could just swap in your cat pipe when you go to do testing.

Jake

Here's what it looks like incase your curious...

summer_03_1_91.jpg

car_116.jpg

Jake

Bump on it being personal preference.
The X is supposed to produce more of a higher pitched european exotic sound while the H emulates that of a 60's muscle car.

The X supposedly produces more peak HP and the H more low end torque.
Because the power differences are so minimal, go with what you think sounds better.

Like everyone has been saying, you won't notice a difference power wise between the two. I have an x-pipe and Id say that x-pipes "scream" while h-pipes "roar". Thats the easiest I can compare the two sounds :shrug: . I love my exahust though (x-pipe with straight through mufflers) and at idle its pretty quiet. Same with crusing, but when you want it to be loud, it definitely is :nice: . Above 4,000 rpm the tone changes a lot (I guess the x-ness starting to take effect big time) and it just sounds fantastic :drool: . But again, this is just my opinion, go with what sounds good to you :nice: .