X2 Ball joint, cc plate & Bump steer kit install?

Long time no post, hope everyone is doing fine.

I was wondering if anyone has done this install at home? I have started doing it and I'm coming to the realization that if I don't have the pullers I'm *ucked. Am I better off just having a shop like Brads install the crap and be done with it? What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

As far as hammering the ball joint out of the steering knuckle just use a big hammer, your replacing it anyways. If you need to hammer out the tie rod ends just loosen the nut enough to protect the threads and keep the mushroomong down when you hammer on it. To press the balljoint out of the control arm just go to Harbor Freight and pick up a C-frame ball joint/ujoint tool. They are fairly inexpensive. You'll just need 3 hands to use it. Good luck.

Jeff

your right about needing a third arm. I got the left tie rod changed out and I'm still working on the balljoint ( 1 1/2hrs) its moved 1/8". The tool I'm using is new I borrowed it from auto zone. The first few threads were screwed up so I had to fix that before using it. This ***** is determined to be a pain in the *ss.

you can also apply a little heat to the A arm around the ball joint but you have to work on it quickly. Once the heat soaks into the balljoint it will be just as tight. Do this only to remove your old ones, not on your new ones.

Jeff

Get the right tool for the job

Experience sometimes is the best teacher...

After fighting with the ball joints on my '96 Cobra, I decided to get a ball joint kit, much like this one. It took me an hour once I had the right tools to pop both sides off and put the new ones on. It's a helluva lot cheaper to buy the tool than to have someone else do it.

I was also stoked that I had this set when I did the ball joints on my '95 GT as well. It's more than paid for itself :nice:

PC

That's the kit I borrowed from auto zone. It's sunday and the new ball joint s are in but the X2 spins when I try tightening the nut that attaches the spindal. I applied a little grease to the surfaces thinking this was a good idea. I think thats why its spining, not enough friction. I'm going to clean the grease off with ketone and hopefully that will do the job. If not I'm going to frag the friggin car :D

eddienyr said:
does anyone know of an alignment shop that is familiar with adjusting bumpsteer in the Marysville, Everett area? Does anyone know the name and location of the alignment shop that brad @ Brads custom uses?

Oh yeah I got the rightside done.

I'm not sure about adjusting bumpsteer, but when I worked at Mike's Mustang we sent everything out to Formula Tire on state street. Seemed like they did a good job :shrug:

eddienyr said:
That's the kit I borrowed from auto zone. It's sunday and the new ball joint s are in but the X2 spins when I try tightening the nut that attaches the spindal. I applied a little grease to the surfaces thinking this was a good idea. I think thats why its spining, not enough friction. I'm going to clean the grease off with ketone and hopefully that will do the job. If not I'm going to frag the friggin car :D
LOL I did that my first time too thinkin of getting it all lubed up and stuff. Used a visegrips to secure it till it had enough tension. Didnt damaged the threads either.