Xcal2, local dyno or mail order?

04gtdrop

Jun 10, 2005
Sac, CA
Hey guys, got a question for all of you. I want to get an xcal. We have a local shop that said he will put my stang up on his dyno and make a custom tune for her and it will cost me about 500-600 and I will get the xcal1 for that. But I am seeing the xcal1 for like 320? and the xcal2 for like 370 (this is an ebay price). I am wondering if its better to save some $$$ and go for the mail order or spend the extra $$$ and go for the dyno tune? The ebay guy says that a dyno tune will only get me a few more pony's and the local guy says "how can they tune your car if they don't have your car in front of them"? of course they both wany my business and $$$ so not sure which way to go.

If it was you, what would you go with? I would like to save $$$, but on the other hand I hate buying or doing something twice. I would rather do it right the 1st time. Currently I have a densecharger CAI, BBK 70mm T/B, TrickFlow plenum, T/B and plenum spacers, FRPP aluminum driveshaft, mac pro-chamber h-pipe with high flow cats (I live in good old CA) and a mac cat-back.

:OT: Also I put the eibach springs on her this weekend. Thanks for all your input on my last post. I kept hearing ford c-springs or eibach. I went eibach and I am pretty happy with the drop, the ride pretty much feels the same. I was expecting it to stiffen up a lot. Well gotta run, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

• Sponsors (?)

hey christiesledd, just curuious. but that 270 that your 03 is putting down, is that RWHP? and is that before or after the Xcal2?

And so you ordered it through the mail and had the local shop through it on a dyno? how much did they charge you for the tune ans dyno time? thanks

that is rwhp and it is after the xcal 2. it wasn't exactly my "local shop" that did it. i had to drive 3 1/2 hours. i bought the xcal 2 directly from them and they made a custom tune for me on their dyno. they charged me $375 for the xcal2, $90 for dyno rental, and $150 for tuning. a lot of places charge you by the hour for tuning, but they charged me a flat fee :)