Xcal2 or Dynotune???

97GTSTANG

Founding Member
May 25, 2000
Virginia
Guys, was just wondering if the Xcal2 with the preloaded tunes will gain me close to what I will be getting from a dyno tune. My mods are listed below. The Xcal2 goes for around $379 and I think it includes 1 tune according to what my mods are, or I can get a dyno tune with the xcal2 for $800. I am just trying to see if the $800 route is really worth it. What sort of difference will I notice going the expensive route?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Dyno tune is always better then mail tune but with your mods I don't know if it will be worth another 400 bucks to do it. I have no idea why anybody needs to charge you 400 bucks to tune it though. I had my car dyno tuned with a charger for with and without methanol injection and it still only cost me 300. Thats with 3 tunes loaded into my xcal. Drive to PA and get it tuned at Kauffmans. Dave won't need more then an hour to tune it for you and that should only cost 100-200 I would think.

That's WAY too much. Dyno tune here with X2 would cost 450. Not sure why they would charge you so much. But if you order from someplace like Modular Depot I'd bet they could get it pretty close to a dyno tune.

most places that are quoting those high prices are including the price of the chips etc @300-400...then the actual dyno time and tune so getting up to 600 dollars or so is easy. The 600 is not just for the tune itself.

Most of the places here charge $150 and hour plus $90 to rent the dyno. They said it will need about 3-4 hours, Kauffman sounds like a good idea if they can do the dynotune in 1hour. I checked with MD and their Xcal2 went up from $375 to $399. WTF.

yeah i have been looking into a custom tune. the local shop says about 500-600 for either xcal1 or 2. that includes the dyno time and what not, 800 sounds high to me. i like the other price's that they were saying.....if i go with a NOS setup i will for sure do the dyno tune and not mail order.

hey wanta5.0 how do you like your tri ax shifter? worth the $$$ ???