xenon city light in my 65 coupe

kidpoboy

Dec 11, 2003
Had the guy that is painting my car install the xenon city lights in my 65. Looks awesome. The white euro looking lights. I was reluctant to do it at first because I heard that these could short out your electrical system. No worries because these are low watt 55 h4 bulbs. Hooked up the daytime running lights also. Mustangs Plus and virginia mustang are selling these. Virginia mustang has the better price of the two. However, I actually got the best deal from ebay. About 40 bucks including shipping. Have any of you guys hooked thes up. Wondering if you can change the color of the daytime running lights??? Currently they are blue. Can't wait to get the car back. Should be this week.

• Sponsors (?)

No but the good news is...

gp001 said:
Hope they used relays so they don't overload your light switch or small gauge wires. Even the stock lights are too much for it, relays are only a good thing

I heard that and asked the guys at virginia and mustangs plus and they claimed that no special mods would be required. Good news is that we turned them on for about 20 thirty seconds at the most. I know that my guy used seperate wiring for the city lights. What do I have to do to install relays??? How do they work?? How much??? The guy doing the paint, interior is well skilled with mustangs and has rewired many but he has no experience with xenon lights? This was his first install. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Relays-relays-relays

gp001 said:
Hope they used relays so they don't overload your light switch or small gauge wires. Even the stock lights are too much for it, relays are only a good thing

I am one of those who has had a light switch overload and fire under the dash of my '67 from a stock light overload. I was able to determine what was going on before I lost much more than a few wires but it was quite an experience.

67Sally said:
I am one of those who has had a light switch overload and fire under the dash of my '67 from a stock light overload. I was able to determine what was going on before I lost much more than a few wires but it was quite an experience.

YIKES! I've had 2 switch failures with stock lights. No fires, thankfully

thanks gp001

gp001 said:
Check this link out for some good info. Relays are cheap and divert the high current draw throught the switch

http://www.geocities.com/midlife66/wiring/Halrelays.html

I appreciate your response. Since my guy has experienc with wiring it doesn't sound like a tall order for him. He probably has an idea on where to get the parts. In the event that he does not, where can I get the parts mentioned in the article???? an auto parts store, electrical supply house, lowes??? Thanks

I had a switch failure, no fire but it would flicker in the absolute worse times :mad: ... went to a 67/68 cougar switch and no problems... also installed relays for my lights in preparation for going with composite units in the future.

The Swede

should I get a third relay for the city lights????

Said they only draw about 6-7 amps of current. The guys at mustangs plus insisted that it is really not necessary to add relays because it is a 55 watt bulb. Nonetheless I think the relay idea is a good one.

kidpoboy said:
I appreciate your response. Since my guy has experienc with wiring it doesn't sound like a tall order for him. He probably has an idea on where to get the parts. In the event that he does not, where can I get the parts mentioned in the article???? an auto parts store, electrical supply house, lowes??? Thanks

BUMP...where's a good (cheap) source for quality relays?

hey cool!!! I had a nice under dash fire too!! it prompted me to buy a fire extinguisher so I could look more like a ricer!!! it was my brights that did it...those damn wires are thin!!!!!!