Xpipe install - Manifold nut!!!!! AUGH!!!!

lptheory96

Founding Member
Aug 10, 2002
Birmingham, Alabama
So Im trying to install my xpipe which seems simple. IF I CAN GET THE OTHER DAMNED OEM PIPE OFF. Anyway, ODDLY ENOUGH, I got the passenger side nuts off relatively easy with a lot of WD40, And swivel Joint, Extensions, , and 5/8 deep well. The 5/8 seemed a tad big but it worked..... After getting the most difficult passenger side nuts off, I thought I had it made.... I went for the most difficult driver side nut... Got it off...

Finally I am down to my last nut. Its the simplest to get to so I can already see the finish line. I start to turn my ratchet then BAM :jaw: it slips off... Im like WTF... Needless to say 4 Hours later the Nut is still on there... I cant believe the EASIEST one is giving me the most hell, all because I stripped it from the start.

So my question would be,
Now that this bolt has been beat, squirted, and boogered with every tool I have.. What's next? I had to give up when the sun went down but I dont even have a plan for tomorrow.

I have tried Pipe wrench, Under sized wrench beat on, Vise grips, Hammer, Prayer, Good karma, Hope, channel locks, any pare of pliers I could find, etc etc.

I am strait out of ideas and the damned thing will not budge... I know as soon as I get half a turn it will come right off but the thing is basically welded!

Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

You should be using a 15mm metric socket on those fasteners.

I'd recommend investing in some proper penetrating oil (e.g. Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster etc) as WD40 is not a penetrant. FWIW, the "WD" in "WD40" stands for "water displacement." Spray it liberally and let it soak for 20 minutes, then spary it again and let it stand for an hour.

If you can't even get a wrench on it now you may well need to get the car to a shop and have the thing torched off and the stud replaced.

Not trying to bash, but you should realize that every nut and bolt on the Mustang is metric. Don't use any more SAE sockets if you don't want to strip anything.

I agree that if you let it soak in some PB Blaster for a few hours, spraying it many times in between, it should loosen things up. I am surprised a pipe wrench couldn't get it off since those grip really hard. At this point, I say get a hack saw, or even better, a grinder, and be done with it. You can easily get a 10 or 12mm nut and bolt from your local Home Depot.