Yeah, they were fast!

I'd have to disagree. I think the New Edge, S197, and 1964-1978 all look better. I'm not crazy about the S550 exterior (Shelby GT350 excepted), but the interior of even the base model is sublime.

I test drove a 2015 GT when they first hit dealer lots and the interior/ergonomics of the S550 was definitely a huge improvement over my 2014 GT. The brakes and ride quality were a lot better too. I still prefer the styling on the S197 but the S550 has been growing on me over the years.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Whether you like Mustang IIs or not, Jack Roush had a nice one!
A1323796-A6F2-43F5-A409-9ED63C499F53.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
You can smash the windshield, hit every corner with a hammer, curb the wheels, and leave it in the desert Sun for a decade till that bad vinyl roof completely cracks and peels off,.......... and it will still look better than any new mustang II ever did.

Looks like someone accepted your challenge. :shrug: Compare to the pic above. :jester:

Screenshot_20200709-152515__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-152520__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-152526__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-152532__01.jpg

• Haha
Looks like someone accepted your challenge. :shrug: Compare to the pic above. :jester:

Screenshot_20200709-152515__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-152520__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-152526__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-152532__01.jpg
That’s not fair to the II,... the car above still hasn’t been hit on all four corners with a hammer..
and for the record...
That 2 above is so far out of proportion...It’s nothing “butt“ tires in back , and stupid outdated slots up front ....kinda reminds me of..
1594327872988.jpeg

yuukk.

Last edited:
That’s not fair to the II,... the car above still hasn’t been hit on all four corners with a hammer..
and for the record...
That 2 above is so far out of proportion...It’s nothing butt tires in back and stupid outdated slots up front ....kinda reminds me of..
1594327872988.jpeg

yuukk.
:hitit:

• Haha
Outdated slots = product of the times. :shrug:

Still just an opinion, just thought it was funny you referenced a knocked out windshield in a Fox that sat out forever compared to a relatively fresh II and I ran across what you described in a classified ad. Apparently they have something of the same view as reflected in their asking price....

Screenshot_20200709-170849.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-170910.jpg

And seeing that it's a Ghia, it very well coulda had a vinyl roof that rotted away. If it makes you feel better you can buy it and take a hammer to it and show us how much you've improved it.... :jester:

It doesn’t matter what you do to try and find one of these cars that don’t make you nauseous when you look at them...
1594330460951.jpeg

There just aren’t any.....imgonnpuke.:puke::puke::puke:
This combination of clueless is what typifies the person that is attracted to them...this whole car just screams “What The Hell Were You Thinkin!!???“

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It doesn’t matter what you do to try and find one of these cars that don’t make you nauseous when you look at them...
1594330460951.jpeg

There just aren’t any.....imgonnpuke.:puke::puke::puke:
This combination of clueless is what typifies the person that is attracted to them...this whole car just screams “What The Hell Were You Thinkin!!???“
That one just needs to ditch the cow catcher and find a smaller intake that doesn't require a hole through the hood. Otherwise it's not a bad looking car.

The flat black, tucked bumper, having more wheel/tire tucked in there, are all good choices. Round fogs in the grille, blacked out headlight buckets, they're cool too. While that hood screams late90s/early2000s fox in a magazine, I dig the vibe, again, not counting the air cleaner through the top. The hood pins though... That should've died in the 80s.

Here's the thing Mike, he's happier with his car than you are with yours right now.

• Agree
Please stop trolling here and go back to the Mustang II Boards with your questionsble aesthetics and warped view of history. I was polite before, but Mike is right. You need to get a better grasp on what was available elsewhere in 79, because without the Fox Mustangs and SN-95, Ford would not be making 400+ hp 5.0 Mustangs today. There would be no need for Hemis, Hellcats, Camaros or Vette’s either. Things were grim in the industry, and even the 2.3 and a manual was fun compared to most junk econoboxes.

Damn right it's still be a Pinto, and it'd still have more personality than that '79 Ghia. :rlaugh:

That's what was wrong with the 79-81 cars. They were generic copies of the Chevy Monza, with an emphasis on generic. The Pinto and II may be ugly, but they were far from generic, which is an even greater crime.

As I said, 82-84 got interesting... Then 1985 happened and the fox got SEXY... Only to be made generic again in 1987.

There's a metric :poo:ton of people out there that have absolutely no taste, that much is fact. And it's been proven many times with many different cars. Again, as you said before, it's in the beholder's eyes, but so many need some sort of psychiatric evaluation for their choices:

00o0o_cIsx0mtk0Ho_1200x900.jpg
fox-classic-destiny-3.jpg
1834468650.jpg

But again, getting back to the perceived point of this thread, many of the mechanical downfalls can very well be overcome no matter what the vehicle looks like.

And, just for clarification, without the II to keep the nameplate alive it very well coulda died before the Camaro. And what was said also applies to the II, especially given that for 79 the engines were carryovers.

• Agree
Please stop trolling here and go back to the Mustang II Boards

I'm not trolling. I don't think Mike's trolling either. I get where he's going with the black car he posted, and while I could choose to take it personally, I'm not. I'm a big boy, in more ways than one, and having owned three IIs over 20 years (often concurrently with a fox or an S197), I've got a pretty thick skin if he was. Big deal. Don't be offended on his behalf, he's a big boy too, and if he's offended at my little joke back to him, I'm sure he'll tell me, he's never one to mince words.

with your questionsble aesthetics and warped view of history.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder... or the beer holder, and I don't have a warped view of history. The II was slow. The 79-81 fox was just as slow when it had a 302, and with the 255 V8 even slower, and not really any better looking. Different? yes, but not better. The 82-85 Mustang was somewhat better looking and got faster every year, and 1986 started a revolution, all of which I said, all of which is, other than aesthetics, objective and rooted in fact. You said "at least we didn't get a Mustang III" when, in every way but name, is what '79-81 really was.

You need to get a better grasp on what was available elsewhere in 79, because without the Fox Mustangs and SN-95, Ford would not be making 400+ hp 5.0 Mustangs today. There would be no need for Hemis, Hellcats, Camaros or Vette’s either.
I have a firm grasp on what was available in 1979. You could still get a big-block Trans Am in 1979 for crying out loud. Without the II, you don't even have the '79 Mustang, much less the rest of the list, what's your point?

Things were grim in the industry, and even the 2.3 and a manual was fun compared to most junk econoboxes.
A 70s or early 80s 2.3 manual car WAS a junk econobox, especially the ones with the 1-barrel carburetor. Until Ford combined EFI and turbocharging, the 2.3 wasn't anything great without a lot of modifications, I had two of them, one in a II and one in a fox.

I was polite before
Yes you were, which is why I'm still being polite.

Please stop trolling here and go back to the Mustang II Boards with your questionsble aesthetics and warped view of history. I was polite before, but Mike is right. You need to get a better grasp on what was available elsewhere in 79, because without the Fox Mustangs and SN-95, Ford would not be making 400+ hp 5.0 Mustangs today. There would be no need for Hemis, Hellcats, Camaros or Vette’s either. Things were grim in the industry, and even the 2.3 and a manual was fun compared to most junk econoboxes.
No, no no dude..they're not trolling..theyre trying to convince me that I'm wrong.

A nearly impossible feat.

Firstly, unless you at least 55,...you cannot speak with authority on the current subject... ( whatever that is in this thread).

The mid 70’s was a terrible time in the decade, that only got worse as the years went on. Disco started, almost everybody looked like ass,.. Bell bottom pants, platform shoes, leisure suits made out of polyester, long stupid feathered hair, Mike and greg Brady getting afros even though they were as white as a piece of paper, Long lines to get gas, a 55 mph national interstate speed limits, CJ Mc Call singing songs about truckers, and CB radios...Kiss was popular, and there was even talk about renaming a high school in the midwest Kiss high..Cocaine was just starting to make the rounds as “ the” drug in the clubs...

The Ford engineers,....While Listening to Donna Summer, all sporting their recently added Afro-Perms, wearing 2” platform shoes in their green polyester leisure suits, Stoned Bat sht crazy on Coke after having been up for 3 days straight penned the first rendition of the rehashed Pinto they called the 1974 Mustang II.

Who can blame them for building such a flaming piece of sht? They didn’t know what they were doing....

By the time the late 70’s came along, these guys were so hagged out, all the creative talent they had left had dwindled to rehashing long dead 60’s era namesakes....Since they were hobbled by the “energy crisis” and couldn’t possibly get anything resembling a muscle car from the days gone by, the solution was to cover the car in decals......Mach 1, Cobra II,....the more decals, the faster it looked....ending in the ultimate Joke of the late 70’s....the 1978 King Cobra.

Now...How can you blame those Coked up, Disco dancing, fake Afro headed engineers at ford for coming up with a turd like a Mustang II?

It took a guy Ford had pidgeon holed to Ford Europe to save ford USA from just disco dancing themselves to death. Jack Telnack came up with the Fox Platform and brought Ford back from the brink....the longest running version of any mustang to this date.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: 3 users
Ya those II's look bad. Not even percieved as a real mustang by me. The 60's were real mustangs. Then i guess economics changed or something, idk. And 85 came back. The fox is pretty legendary at this point time. Its gotta be up there for the most popular car used for quite a while to make a drag car out of.

What did the II come with motor wise? And 79-84?

For clarification, I'm not trying to persuade you to change your mind on liking the II, but it'd be nice to not be called a dumbass for my choice in doing so:

This combination of clueless is what typifies the person that is attracted to them...

The story for my attraction to them dates back to the early 80s and a story I could share about my dad. It's a sentimental thing, and it gets really old having to listen to people bash it over and over and over again. Every shortcoming it had could be remedied just like with any other early Mustang. In fact, it could outperform most earlier generation Mustangs just as the later Fox cars could be (and were) improved upon to outperform the II.

• Agree