Yes another synthetic oil question

willys1 - you've wandered into the briar patch - synthetic vs. dino oil threads are right up there with carb vs. efi in terms of polarized opinions.

Do some research on the internet - lots of stuff to read. One thing to note however, and it's based on the experiences of a lot folks who post. Higher mileage cars that have spent their life on dino oil that are then switched to synthetic frequently begin leaking oil after the change. The problem seems to be that synthetic oil has better detergent properties than dino oil, and over time tiny (almost microscopic) openings in seals and gaskets get filled with sludge for lack of a better term - varnish-based dino oil residue. The synthetic comes along and cleans all that stuff out, and the slippery synthetic finds it's way out of a tiny opening that's been plugged up by sludge. I've had it happen on 4 different vehicles (ok - I'm a slow learner) - each of which I owned since new, maintained meticulously at levels above what was recommended by the manufacturer. Each had over 80,000 miles on it when I made the switch. Each began leaking before the next oil change came along. I doesn't happen in every case, but it happens enough that you should be forewarned.

If your car's been running good on dino oil, I believe it's best just to keep it on that oil. Synthetic is great - especially if your car sees really hot or really cold operating conditions. But I believe more important than the type or brand of oil is simply keeping it and the filter serviced regularly.

Big trucks take oil samples regularly for analysis, and only change when the sample tells them to. My brother's PowerStroke F350 routinely goes 25K to 35k on synthetic Amsoil. He simply changes the filter as called for by the manufacturer, and tops up the oil with the filter change. Personally, I can't get past leaving that black stuff in there that long. My wife's car specifies synthetic - which I use - but I can't let it go more than 4 or 5K before it looks so bad I just have to change it. Even though her computer looks at use and recommends the change somewhere in the 8K to 12K range.

Given that I'm gonna change it regularly anyhow - I'm with you. If I'm gonna change it every 3K, I simply don't think synthetic is worth the 3X-6X premium for the benefit I get. Others will make their decisions for their reasons. I simply feel better running with clean, regularly changed dino oil than I do running synthetic - in my street cars and my motorcycle. The only exception I make is if the manufacturer specifies it - as is the case with my wife's car. When I was racing - nothing but synthetics - it has to deal with so much heat in road racing and the synthetic will take more of a beating in that regard.

Those of you that want filter info - here's an article/test. Read up - you'll never buy Fram again! http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

• Sponsors (?)

I just turned 30,000 on the stang,I think it will be ok. Ever since I got that torque conv.,it revs alot at low speeds,which I like,its like driving around in a roller motor.LOL,Anyway your right about the polarized opinions,there kinda like *******s,everyones got one.

just don't reply...

Black331Stang said:
hey dickbag...first off i wasnt calling him an idiot, if u knew how u read u would have figured that out. i said u must have sounded like one. meaning the guy at the store was probably like, WTF?
o an its sooo funny, i cant spell?? y? because i made a type-o on one friggin letter?? its people like u who f**k up the forums with BS posts and make stupid comments and never give any info.
:notnice:
:lol: you must be all of 14 years old!-- You really do like to cuss, and...can't spell...you is spelled "you" NOT "u"...when using "i" to mean yourself, should be a upper case...then again, maybe you should refer to yourself in small case, just to show how impotent (sic) you really are!--- I hope you are not too confused by all of this! :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Michael is spot on with this one. i am one of those whom does use the synthetics in some of the cars (with 9 vehicles, all cant get all the love). i do it for two reasons. it is hot as heck in tucson and i like the idea of extra protection when the ambient temp is 110*. (also, we had a low of 19* a day or two ago. people freaked.LOL).
also, for the lesser driven cars, it helps with "dry start up" situation when i only start them once every couple of weeks. for daily drivers, i change them at 3K/ 3 months (the g/f's car and my sis are the only daily drivers to get full synthetic). i dont know if anyone mentioned it, but synthetic oil (esp on older worn engines) still gets contaminated. the synthetic properties deal with the contaminates better, but there are still hydrocarbons (blowby, etc) getting in there. hence my not leaving it in there longer than normal. even if they made super syn oil that needed to never be changed, i could not bring myself to not change it every so often (just like i do with rear ends and trannies that have "no maintenance interval"). all diffs and trannies for me get the good stuff.

i had a post on the oil filters a little while back. very cool responses. i learned a ton from the posts and links. here it is:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=392582

from this, i use Purolator Pure One filters (only local place to get them is Pep boys for me). IIRC, Motorcraft is almost as good and they are half the price here. i dont mind spending a few extra bucks (i usually pick up 8-10 filters at once-i do maintenance on the family's 15 vehicles). (thanks Michael Y. for that one. when in doubt, i do whatever Mr. Y. does).

good luck.

Thanks for the very informative posts! I never had a car with synthetics,I think I will try it out on the stang!Yes, super expensive,but ILL feel a little more a ease when Im really beating on it and I only have 100 miles to go before an oil change.Thanks again :nice:

TheUser - quote below about Fram filters from the site listed earlier in the thread....

"Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. These filters are manufactured by Allied Signal, Inc. Please do not buy these filters. By boycotting it, we may be able to cause some change. I have personally had one if these filters fail and actually cause engine damage due to bits of paper and glue floating around in the engine.

For some inside dirt on Fram filters, see this email from an Allied Signal production engineer.

Fram Extra Guard PH8A

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time, but they often leak anyway. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow, and is made of thin material.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap-looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a “2Y”. There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of “button” in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve. "

Do you know how many people use the fram filter!Exspecially now since they have that neat little "no slip grip" on it.Ive been telling my father for years about Fram being a terrible product.How can such a BIG company be responsible for such a crappy product,alot of people seem to no that there filters are a low quality filter,but they keep selling like hot-cakes!

ok your obviously new here and probably new to the internet lol...u is short for YOU and who cares about uppercase and commas in words?? and no, im not 14. and according to U, u must think that Hissin50 and Michael Yount are 14 also, since they use shorthand. (example GIRLFRIEND is NOT spelled g/f hissin!!!!! dont U know that?!?!) they are porbably 2 of the most knowledgable people on here.
Anyhow, lets end this now cause it gets annoying to REAL forums readers trying to learn a thing or two. later

-as far as the oil goes, i will agree with Michaels claim that alot of cars leak after the regular to syn. oil change. my never did and i put syntec in and i had 3-4 leaks. lol. well good luck with yours and i hope it doesnt leak.

Black331Stang said:
ok your obviously new here and probably new to the internet lol...u is short for YOU and who cares about uppercase and commas in words?? and no, im not 14. and according to U, u must think that Hissin50 and Michael Yount are 14 also, since they use shorthand. (example GIRLFRIEND is NOT spelled g/f hissin!!!!! dont U know that?!?!) they are porbably 2 of the most knowledgable people on here.
Anyhow, lets end this now cause it gets annoying to REAL forums readers trying to learn a thing or two. later

-as far as the oil goes, i will agree with Michaels claim that alot of cars leak after the regular to syn. oil change. my never did and i put syntec in and i had 3-4 leaks. lol. well good luck with yours and i hope it doesnt leak.
Put down the pipe, and walk away!!