Yet another "flushing Cooling System" thread..

5.02GO

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2001
Ky, Blue Sky Country
Alright peeps, here it is. I have also searched for this but still not getting a clear picture.

My motor is running hotter than normal. I have a NEW 3 row radiator, NEW 160 thermo and I replaced my heater core in February. I have been using the Prestone 50-50 premix crap. My motor is 1993 302HO. Its got about 125,000 miles on it. I have never flushed the motor or radiator. My coolant has never looked brown or anything.

Okay....I want to flush my motor. How do i do this? I have searched this and have read several different points from people. Some say use a water hose. Some say use a chemical. There was also talk about running the motor and hooking up or bypassing certain hoses. Please explain. I am sure this is a simple procedure. I may be making this complicated. I just want to do it right. Thats all.

I also read something about "back flushing". What is that? I would think that I would want to use a chemical or cleaner.

Isn't there an adapter or something for this?

Please explain......... :shrug:

Thank You.........

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't recommend that 160 deg. thermostat, it doesn't let the motor get warm enough. Most would use a 180 or the stock 192. I just turn the petcock, which is on the bottom of the passenger side on the radiator. Drain the coolant that is in there. Then start the car with the radiator cap open,and start filling the car with water. I just use the regular old hose. Keep the petcock open, and the water will cycle through and flush out the system.

When you are ready to do this job of flushing your radiator, go to any local Auto Parts Store, preferably Auto Zone or any place that sells Prestone products. Ask the guy in the store for Prestone Super Radiator Flush, buy 2 bottles of that and 2 bottles of Prestone Anti-Freeze, follow the exact directions on the back of the Prestone Super Flush Bottle and you will be good to go. Thats what I did on the rotted out radiator in my '89 GT when I first bought it and now the radiator is ten times better than it was. Prestone Flush does wonders, a whole lot better than just using plain old water. Hope this helped. Later, Jeff.

I recently used that Prestone Super Flush in my cooling system...I just poured in 2 bottles and drove around normally for a few days. When I drained the coolant it was slightly dirty looking, so I guess it did something... more than pure water would do anyway. They also sell "Super Radiator Cleaner", which I have a feeling may just be a bigger bottle of the same chemical for more money.

The best way is probably to take it to a shop that hooks it up to a machine and cycles chemical cleaners through the cooling system, but I didn't want to pay $60-$125 for that...

The proper way to flush/clean a cooling system the old "driveway style" way is to remove the t-stat during the process. This allows the flush to flow freely and do the cleaning job better and faster.After you are satisfied that the system is thoroughly clean, install a new t-stat {unless you race it} preferably a 192 degree.