Yet another GT40 crate motor question

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Rogue River, Oregon
Ok, here's my situation: I'm building a '67 Shelby clone that will be driven regularly on the street and probably never on the track. I have an '88 GT that I really like, and that's about the level of performance I want from my clone. I called Ford's tech line and asked about their GT40 crate motors and told the guy I'm using an original Shelby 2x4 intake with Holley 390cfm carbs. He told me that only the motor with the 303Y heads would work, since the motors with the 303X heads have larger intake ports and won't bolt up to the old-style intake. Then he launched into a seminar about how I need a huge cam and a single 4 barrel, low gears, blah, blah, blah. So here's my question, does anyone here have any experience with the B-cam, 303Y head GT40 motor in a mild street car? I plan to use a regular T5 trans (same as my '88) freeway gears (same as my '88) and don't plan on racing it, except for occasional runs through the gears on freeway on ramps and such. I found a source for the motor locally for $2900, is that a decent price? Thanks in advance!
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

That price is for the long block, aluminum head version. I know I may be able to build a motor similar to that and maybe save a few bucks, but the local auto machine shop does iffy work at best and I'd have to wait for a few weeks for the machine work (they're always behind) and then find the time to assemble the motor myself. I'd kind of rather just unload the crate, paint the motor and install. It's :D late in the project and I'm getting kinda lazy

If the intake has smaller ports...port match them bigger to match the heads.

As for the B303 cam, it's decent cam if you have one already or it's included in the engine. If you are planning to buy a new cam the TF stage 1 or any Comp Cams Extreme is better. They sound just as good and make more power.

The B303 likes at least 3.50 or better gears in a 3000 pound car with about 26" tall tires. 3.70's would be best in combination with a factory T5. It has a nice old time muscle car sound at idle.

That motor will work great carb'd on the street with 3.55's in the rear. It will run crisp with the 2x4 set up and make a lot of top end power. It will vastly outperform the original K code motors that a lot of the Shelby's had originally.

zookeeper said:
I can't do any grinding on the intake, since it's a pretty rare part and it's borrowed. How much of a mismatch is it? I know Ford recommends a different intake gasket so I assume it's a substantial amount.

Opps....missed the 'original' part. Yeah, I wouldn't grind on that either.

At least you will have a small port leading into a larger port.

If it were mine, I probably would, but it was loaned to me by a buddy that didn't want to sell it, but thought it would look neat on my clone. I just hope it works, since those 390 Holleys cost a bunch. Thanks again to everyone for the info on the motor!

I have b cammed crate motor in my 67 clone. 3.89 gears and t-5 The FRPP guys are right about the severe mismatch but just use the gastket they call for on those heads I have the x headed crate engine. It made 308RWHP at 5800 and 300 torq. You should be fine with the small 4 barrels as long as you have gears in the 3.55 or lower.
Tom Goodwin

Thanks, Tom. There's a local circle track chassis shop that has a chassis dyno, and I was kind of curious as to what my particular combo put out. I'd be thrilled with anything over 270rwhp, but we'll see after I get it up and running. The car was a cherry, 90k mile stocker when I got it, and I used a G-Tech accelerometer before I tore it apart. It ran an eyeball-popping 17.76 @ 76 mph stone stock. I'd sure like to see a low 14 when it's done. I'll keep you guys posted when that day comes. Thanks again!