YJ paint code please help

Hello, i bought my son his first car, a 1990 GT. We are in the process of painting the front bumper cover. Im having issues figuring out the YJ paint code color. The sticker on the door says YG and YJ. Ive researched this a lot before posting. It seems no one has a clear answer. Id like to just buy the YJ color in a spray can off the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 8E11BEBF-6D87-4562-B6B9-9C8431D8FE32.jpeg
    8E11BEBF-6D87-4562-B6B9-9C8431D8FE32.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 1BAE2D29-EE05-42C1-BE88-EE9FCD9003C5.jpeg
    1BAE2D29-EE05-42C1-BE88-EE9FCD9003C5.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 825
  • Sponsors (?)

Here’s the color codes from my book for the 1990 year. I bet the J you see is really a U that is scuffed or otherwise blemished. YU is Dark Titanium

AF019517-2574-4F62-897C-6FE8F02E58F4.jpeg

I see that. In the end, your exterior colors are of the Titanium shades. In 1990 they had a light and a dark titanium. Your bumpers appear to be darker than the other body panels. So I would conclude they are Dark Titanium. YU is what you want. Unless there’s another explanation, I’d say the label is a misprint

I see that. In the end, your exterior colors are of the Titanium shades. In 1990 they had a light and a dark titanium. Your bumpers appear to be darker than the other body panels. So I would conclude they are Dark Titanium. YU is what you want. Unless there’s another explanation, I’d say the label is a misprint
Ok thanks. I went ahead and ordered sem dark titanium bumper paint.

Reactions: 1 user
Door Tag
Date - 05/90 = May 1990 build
GVWR - 4230 lb/1918 kg = gross vehicle weight rating
Front GAWR - 2262 lb/1026 kg = front gross axle weight rating
Rear GAWR - 2031 lb/921 kg = rear gross axle weight rating
F0152 = 0152 lbs front accessory reserve load
R0116 = 0116 lbs rear accessory reserve load
Exterior Paint Colors - YF YJ = Light Titanium Clearcoat Metallic (YF), Titanium lower accent treatment (YJ)
DSO - 53 = Kansas City district sales office
Body - GT3 = Mustang GT 3-door sedan (hatchback)
Mldg - Z = Titanium bodyside molding
Int Trim - DA = cloth Articulated Sport seating, low-back front buckets (D), Titanium interior trim color (A)
Tape - [blank] = no paint stripes
R - 9 = electronic AM/FM search stereo radio with cassette tape player
S - [blank] = no sunroof
Ax - Z = 3.08:1 axle ratio, Traction-Lok (limited slip) differential
Tr - 2 = Borg Warner T-5 5-speed overdrive manual transmission
PP = front springs
BB = rear springs

Here’s the color codes from my book for the 1990 year. I bet the J you see is really a U that is scuffed or otherwise blemished. YU is Dark Titanium

AF019517-2574-4F62-897C-6FE8F02E58F4.jpeg
That book is crap for paint codes and names. Damn errors everywhere.

This is the correct list for 1990...

Attachments

• 20200120_052742.jpg
    20200120_052742.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 629
Ford had four different codes for the 1987 through 1993 GT lower tu-tone paint but they all had the same name: "Lower Titanium Accent Treatment" (RPO 954).

1987-88 = 73
1989 = 76
1990-93* = YJ
*for part of 1991 code ZH was also used

The car in the pics is not the factory Titanium lower color that came on them. The factory lower is basically silver...not dark at all.
I actually like the way the car in the pic looks. Nice contrast. You aren't going to match a paint like that with an off the shelf spray can. At least I don't think so. Stranger things have happened though.

The car in the pics is not the factory Titanium lower color that came on them. The factory lower is basically silver...not dark at all.
I actually like the way the car in the pic looks. Nice contrast. You aren't going to match a paint like that with an off the shelf spray can. At least I don't think so. Stranger things have happened though.
So the factory ford “two tone” color on the ground effects is the lighter silver color that i see on most fox bodies? Thats the only silver/titanium color they offered?

Paint codes are great for restoring an original color. They aren't worth much after a color change though. I bought my car new. It was Bright Regatta Blue over Titanium originally. It's now Vibrant Red. Completely worn out vibrant red at that...lol. but my paint code still says blue. So no, that dark color is not going to match a code on your door. No big deal though. Any reliable PAINT SUPPLY store can fix you up but it won't be in a spray can.

Or you could just paint all the ground effects black.... :hide: :hide: (inside joke has nothing to do with you :D)

Paint codes are great for restoring an original color. They aren't worth much after a color change though. I bought my car new. It was Bright Regatta Blue over Titanium originally. It's now Vibrant Red. Completely worn out vibrant red at that...lol. but my paint code still says blue. So no, that dark color is not going to match a code on your door. No big deal though. Any reliable PAINT SUPPLY store can fix you up but it won't be in a spray can.

Or you could just paint all the ground effects black.... :hide: :hide: (inside joke has nothing to do with you :D)
Thanks for your help. I just recently bought the car and the guy said it was original paint. Everything makes sense now. I did order the sem dark titanium paint i think it will be pretty damn close. Im not that concerned about it being perfect. Its for a bumper and for a 16yr old new driver so im sure it will get some bumps and scratches.

My two tone 93GT lowers are paint code YJ, I searched for quite a while trying to get a definite answer on color.
Would have probably been easier finding Bigfoot, seems like it was a paint code they put on whatever accent color they had laying around lol.
They had the original paint on them and were definitely a matte finish, I believe even single stage.

This past summer I decided to paint them a bc/cc color that I have always liked and was similar, I went with
Lexus atomic silver , really happy with it.
My avatar is the original YJ accent color, haven't updated pic.