yoke/universial pics....is this right?

streetgrande69

Founding Member
Nov 2, 2002
Splendora, Tx
this is a continuation of this thread......
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=4721004&posted=1#post4721004
with pics
you can see how its off center.....it isn't wide enough for the yoke. this is the same ujoint for my car and the car the yoke is for so i'm kinda confused.anyway regardless, i'm gonna take the whole assembly to the shop and have it ballanced and checked out.

here are some more pics here
http://www.trinitysmustangs.com/front_joint.htm

DSCN4640.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Does the U-joint fit flush in the driveshaft?

I ask because if it is too small for the DS and the yoke, you'll need a different size I guess, but if it fits properly in the DS, and not in the yoke, you'll need a different yoke, or change the DS.

don't even bother with trying to go by application. Take some measurements with a dial caliper and note style/location of the lock rings. Then go to a knowledgeable parts store and match it up with the measurements in the back of their u-joint book.

From the previous thread...
FYI also...
Some AOD/E's and all the 4R70Ws also have larger diameter output shaft bushings & larger diameter yokes. All models have the same 28 spline output shaft profile, so small bushing tail shaft housings can be swapped on from any model, including from an AOD. This is also the same as C-4 transmissions which makes swaps easy.

That picture scares me! I agree that the joint should have come apart, you are fortunate. When I switched from a FMX to AOD, I broke down and purchased a yoke from National parts that accepted my stock u-joint :nice:

Clark said:
That picture scares me! I agree that the joint should have come apart, you are fortunate. When I switched from a FMX to AOD, I broke down and purchased a yoke from National parts that accepted my stock u-joint :nice:

i agree, it maybe should have came apart, i'm lucky. well, its at the driveline shop getting balanced and hes gonna put on Spicer u-joints so i can toss the napa brand u-joints.

all i've read on the aod swap, i never remember reading about the front yoke being special, just a typical aod yoke and joints, it it was a surprise when i found that i needed something special. anyway just more info for my swap page on my site i guess.