Yorkton Drag Races

CanadaStang

Sep 7, 2003
Mb
Went to the 1/8th mile races today, lots of really fast cars. I just can't figure out why they would go to all the trouble to have a once a year event, and then run bracket racing :bang: .Last year I talked all my friends and family into going, but they refused to go again this year, as they couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, no matter how many times I tried to explain bracket racing to them. Bracket racing just isn't much of a crowd pleaser.Something about watching a 6.3 second car racing against a 10.7 second car, but ends up losing because he won :scratch:
I would have thought that after last year, when 1/2 the crowd or more left half way through the show, they would have changed it to heads-up racing :nonono:
Oh well, maybe I can talk them into going to Esterhazy.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, it is kinda boring to watch bracket races all day. I thought it was more boring, though, when the "specialty" (really fast) cars came out. Because the return lane is close to the racing lanes, they have to wait until the cars are all the way back. When some have to wait for a tow vehicle, it takes a real long time.

Our track is the same way. I understand why they do it. It keeps the guys who have tons of cash honest so they can't just throw some extra dough at their cars and keep blowing people away but sometimes you just want to good old fashion drag race. The good thing about our track is the Friday nights are always heads up and the time trials are always heads up. You get to run what you brung and show the ricers the power of a V8!

TweekedGT said:
Our track is the same way. I understand why they do it. It keeps the guys who have tons of cash honest so they can't just throw some extra dough at their cars and keep blowing people away but sometimes you just want to good old fashion drag race. The good thing about our track is the Friday nights are always heads up and the time trials are always heads up. You get to run what you brung and show the ricers the power of a V8!
Yup, that's true,and I can understand that, but this isn't an actual race track, it's just a once a year thing where they close off part of the airstrip and turn it into an 1/8th mile drag strip. :shrug: .

I was there running my car and the problem I had was finding someone in my speed range most cars were very fast this year the bracket racing let me race against cars I would never had a chance against but myself I do enjoy the heads up who owns the copper mustang that was there what a nice car

DELUXE MW said:
I was there running my car and the problem I had was finding someone in my speed range most cars were very fast this year the bracket racing let me race against cars I would never had a chance against but myself I do enjoy the heads up who owns the copper mustang that was there what a nice car
Ya there was alot of fast cars, I was impressed. It's just such a shame to sit in the crowd and listen to all the people complaining. My freind and I tried explaining to everyone how it worked but to no avail.
I'm not sure who owns the copper mustang, but I had seen the car sitting in front of the gas station in Churchbridge on a regular basis. I think the guy works there.

DELUXE MW said:
I know what you mean everybody was on me at work here about the bracket racing the Esterhazy one will be just heads up this year they want to keep it a grassroots event while yorkton wants to go the modern way and from what I hear the grassroots thing is popular with the crowd
Ya, my g/f wouldn't even go :( .
Hey, I thought the SRT4's were supposed to be fast, that one yesterday was running 10.4 or something :shrug:

The copper Mustang is owned by Scott Shullhauser (sp) from Cupar. That is a super nice car. He told me it runs 11.5 without the nitrous!! Pretty good for a 351 with stock ported heads. The paint job on it looked flawless.

There was some really fast stuff here this year. I really like to watch heads-up racing, but, like Dave said, bracket racing gives everyone a chance.
And Dave, don't look so grouchy while you're gettin teched ;) That was me teching your car.

Hopefully, mine will be ready for Esterhazy. I talked to Sheldon Ward between a couple of his races and my engine should be done late this week or next week.

Slow 85 said:
The copper Mustang is owned by Scott Shullhauser (sp) from Cupar. That is a super nice car. He told me it runs 11.5 without the nitrous!! Pretty good for a 351 with stock ported heads. The paint job on it looked flawless.

There was some really fast stuff here this year. I really like to watch heads-up racing, but, like Dave said, bracket racing gives everyone a chance.
And Dave, don't look so grouchy while you're gettin teched ;) That was me teching your car.

Hopefully, mine will be ready for Esterhazy. I talked to Sheldon Ward between a couple of his races and my engine should be done late this week or next week.
I must be thinking of a different copper Mustang :scratch:
While bracket racing gives everyone a chance, it's unfortunate that it's not a crowd pleaser, and if there's no crowd, then no one gets a chance :shrug:

hahahah sorry I didn't recognise you I was running late and wanted to get a pit spot plus I had to remove my mufflers and change tires then get my two time trials in turns out I wasn't that late anyways I ran a best of 8.58 and lost out in the Cash by breaking out and got physically beat by no one so I had a good day, not bad for my Commuter car I drive to Melville to work, I sure love the smell of aviation fuel burning and Padars Demon is Nasty! Anyone going to Super Run this weekend in Stoon?

pictures

Attachments

• copper.JPG
    copper.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 68