You auto guys.

The ealy DOHC engines with the B-heads and IMRC throttle plates are very efficient under normal cruise conditions. Most Lincoln guys I know are knocking down 28-32mpg with conservative driving. My dad brought his Mark VIII back from Waterloo last summer and averaged 30mpg rigth on the nose. :nice:

Even I with my heavy, blown 2V Cougar with 3.73's am still able to knock down 25-26mpg on the highway if I'm careful. :shrug:

I have an auto 98 GT with 3.73's, but I haven't bought a speedcal yet and my speedometer is way off (although I have referenced it with a gps), so I can't measure speed or MPG. What rpm (and speed, if you happen to know it or have a corrected speedo) are you doing in OD to get 25/26 mpg?

• Sponsors (?)

Not to imply I have anywhere near your apparent knowledge, I have to ask, Why was I previously only about to launch at 1500 rpm and now launch at 2400 rpm? Are you saying that has nothing to do with the 2500tq?

Thanks.

You might not have a 2500 RPM Stall TC in it.

4.10's on an automatc? Not for a daily driver. I have 3.73's and if I'm at 80mph im running into the 3000RPM range - which I don't like to be in. 70mph is still about 2250rpm. 3000 for prolonged highway miles probably isn't too good for an engine. I would think it would burn a bit of oil.

I have 4.30's in my auto car, I see 3000 RPM at 80 MPH.

Jmod'd valve body. I'm suprised TGJ didn't mention that :)

Yes, I forgot to mention that you should do the J-Mod.

The stock stalls flash speed is 2300-2700 but you cant launch at the stall speed which is why you launch at 1500.

If your launching at 2400 your stall speed is probably over 3k...I would think?

Put your car in second gear from a dead stop and stomp on it, see where the rpms shoot to...come back and post
That should be your stall speed

When I put a stock Mark VIII/Mustang GT TC in my TBird, I could launch at 2700 RPM with a good tire. Starting in 2nd gear, it was around 2500 RPM.

The ealy DOHC engines with the B-heads and IMRC throttle plates are very efficient under normal cruise conditions. Most Lincoln guys I know are knocking down 28-32mpg with conservative driving. My dad brought his Mark VIII back from Waterloo last summer and averaged 30mpg rigth on the nose. :nice:

Even I with my heavy, blown 2V Cougar with 3.73's am still able to knock down 25-26mpg on the highway if I'm careful. :shrug:

I am getting 20 MPG in the city and 26 MPG with my 96 TBird. It has a 4200 RPM Stall TC and 4.30's. It is a DD...

If I had a Mark VIII, I would do the J-Mod, a 3200 RPM stall TC and 3.73s with a Trak-Lok differential. It would be a fun DD that wouldn't be to bad on fuel.

Its a LSC so I have the trac loc already. If I do gears it will be 3.73s. I drive the speed limit and dont punch it at all going to and from work and can only get 22.5 mpg average :(
Whats the J mod?
And Brian I thought the Marks didnt have the IMRC :scratch:

Its a LSC so I have the trac loc already. If I do gears it will be 3.73s. I drive the speed limit and dont punch it at all going to and from work and can only get 22.5 mpg average :(
Whats the J mod?
And Brian I thought the Marks didnt have the IMRC :scratch:
22.5mpg is horrible mileage for a stock Mark.....I would certainly check into it.

And yes, the Mark VIII engines had the IMRC plates...just like all early 4V's. They didn't remove them until the '99 model year in the Cobra's. Pic below....

IMRC_Assembly.JPG

As for the J-Mod....VALVE BODY MODIFICATION INSTRUCTIONS

22.5mpg is horrible mileage for a stock Mark.....I would certainly check into it.

And yes, the Mark VIII engines had the IMRC plates...just like all early 4V's. They didn't remove them until the '99 model year in the Cobra's. Pic below....

IMRC_Assembly.JPG

As for the J-Mod....VALVE BODY MODIFICATION INSTRUCTIONS
The fuel pump/injectors/lines/filter are all new. The car was running lean and gave the same mileage. I did 450 miles with the cruise set at 75 mph and thats the best I could do at 22.5 :shrug:
Runs perfect and no leaks so IDK where else to check :shrug:
It is a 255lph pump, dont know if that matters :scratch:

As for the J mod, looks like fun.
Guess ill just do the remap first and see if im happy with the faster shifts and change the shift points :shrug:

Ok Brian, after testing out the mileage thing it seems the car will see 26.2 average doing 70 mph on my drive to work. It drops to 25.1 when on the back roads doing 60 but alot of sweeping turns. :shrug:
Sound normal?

Ok Brian, after testing out the mileage thing it seems the car will see 26.2 average doing 70 mph on my drive to work. It drops to 25.1 when on the back roads doing 60 but alot of sweeping turns. :shrug:
Sound normal?

Pretty close I would say. You did mention the car does have a few mods, does it not? When was the last time it had a tune up (plugs, fuel/air filter, etc), since those would contribute as well. I'm pretty sure my dad averaged 95-100km/h on his trip (knowing the way he drives) where he knocked down the 30mpg, which equates to about 60mph.....which is probably where the majority of the difference in fuel exonomy lies.

Im sure there have been threads about this but I never read them as I didnt think id get an auto :shrug:

Now my Lincoln has the same auto (i think) as the modular SN95s and want to see what it takes to be a killer transmition. I would like quicker more solid shifts under WOT but still be smooth under normal conditions. It will eventually need to handle a super charger but i want to keep the 3.27 gears as I wana keep the great highway manners and low noise level. What kinda torque converter should be used? Not for drag racing and still DD duty, is the stock one fine then?
Also the transmition has had the 1-2 shift solinoid upgrade done.

Thanks all! :SNSign::flag::canada:

get this it will convert your car into awd

AWD Kit [AWD45] - $450.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!

Thanks, but I like RWD :shrug:
Besides I spent all my money on the O-pipe and two bars of boost :nice:
I was thinking about the oil bypass kit but will wait till I get my third boost bar.

And yeah Brian, I can hit 60 on the highway and knock down 28.7 mpg but I am in danger of getting run over :notnice:
The plugs/coils and whole fuel system are new.
Im fat and prolly start a little faster than I should which both will contribute to lesser mileage :shrug:

I've had 4.10s for 6 years. I get great mpg, I run 3000rpm at 80mph. I would never dream of having less gear. That would be a mistake with a 4R70W.

3.73s can suck my balls.:)

Thanks, but I like RWD :shrug:
Besides I spent all my money on the O-pipe and two bars of boost :nice:
I was thinking about the oil bypass kit but will wait till I get my third boost bar.

And yeah Brian, I can hit 60 on the highway and knock down 28.7 mpg but I am in danger of getting run over :notnice:
The plugs/coils and whole fuel system are new.
Im fat and prolly start a little faster than I should which both will contribute to lesser mileage :shrug:

as you wish sir i just figured you would like an awd system but you tore that idea apart but yea oil bypass would be sweet. lol get the adjustable powerband too. and to put it all in maybe a jar of elbow grease:rlaugh: