you guys running 4.10's..need help

My roommate has a 96 gt and is running 4.10's. I was just wondeirng whats needed to get the speedo to read correct or close to correct. Her husband told me that he installed a 23 tooth speedo gear..he thinks. If i recall more than just the gear has to be changed. Let me know..Thanks, Vince

• Sponsors (?)

propellerhead said:
True statement but I don't think it applies in this case. He has a 96.
Right...the tuner will not help on the 96. I had the speedo gear you mentioned and it was still off by about 5-6%. It also chewed to pieces after about 15K miles. I'd get a Speedcal from Dallas Mustang or Brother's Performance. I think Partshopper on this site may have one. Click the link at the top of this page and see. But definatly get the Speedcal. It works great.

FineLineMtrsprts said:
My roommate has a 96 gt and is running 4.10's. I was just wondeirng whats needed to get the speedo to read correct or close to correct. Her husband told me that he installed a 23 tooth speedo gear..he thinks. If i recall more than just the gear has to be changed. Let me know..Thanks, Vince

no speedo ears.. it's a reflash of the PCM. a ford dealer can do it for you with the WDS scan tool in t5he program module funtions

MikeZ28 said:
no speedo ears.. it's a reflash of the PCM. a ford dealer can do it for you with the WDS scan tool in t5he program module funtions
Again...on the 98 and earlier cars...you CANNOT flash the computer or have a chip correct for a gear swap. It is either the speedo (white) gear or a Speedcal. Believe me I have researched.

coramprat said:
Again...on the 98 and earlier cars...you CANNOT flash the computer or have a chip correct for a gear swap. It is either the speedo (white) gear or a Speedcal. Believe me I have researched.
Agreed mike doesn't know what he is talking about again don't mind him.
I never heard of speedo ears but,their is a such thing as a speedo gear.
It's either a white speedo gear or a speedcal to fix it as Coramprat said.