You guys with Hooker long tubes, do you have problems with exhaust leaks?

LarsD

Founding Member
Jul 2, 2002
Texas
My Cobra has hooker long tubes on it, and under certain loads in certain gears (mostly 1-3) I can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak from the engine bay. You can also hear it when it is idling sometimes (seems to vary depending on ambient temp), and it is loudest on the driver's side. I found a couple of places where it was leaking under the car at the X-pipe, so I rotated the clamps and cranked down on them. But that isn't the source of the noise.

From what I can see when I'm under the car there isn't any burn marks up at the head, I hit four out of the eight bolts on the drivers side, and a couple on the passenger side, and none of them were loose. It has been my experience that when a header is loose all the bolts are loose, so this leads me to believe the leak isn't coming from where the primary flange is bolted to the heads. The only thing I can figure at this point is it is either leaking at what I think is the EGR tube (that is capped off), or there is a hole rusted in the primary tubes (headers are coated, but rusty anyway).

Anyhow, anybody else with these headers have problems with leaks? It's driving me crazy. :p

• Sponsors (?)

are they slip fit tubes?

i bought a set of ceramic coated hooker super comps and half way through the install i boxed them back up and returned them. the fit and finish was less than desirable and i paid almost 700 for the pair.

i'm saving for a quality set of kooks right now.

sorry as i know this was no help to you.

good luck, rob.

are they slip fit tubes?

i bought a set of ceramic coated hooker super comps and half way through the install i boxed them back up and returned them. the fit and finish was less than desirable and i paid almost 700 for the pair.

i'm saving for a quality set of kooks right now.

sorry as i know this was no help to you.

good luck, rob.

Yeah they are slip fits, they were on the car when I bought it. :notnice:

I you can get you car high enough on a lift or some stiff knees, you can use a flame to see if there is a leak somewhere, I know its tight under there so be careful and use some flame retardent gloves.

I can hardly get my hands in there much less a torch. I had it up and running on my Dad's lift and it seemed pretty obvious that it is coming from down low. Seems like the primaries, I was hoping I wouldn't have to take them off, but it looks like I may have to.