Your 1st Time Down The Drag Strip

1994 Mustang GT and the year was 1994. Car bone stock, even stock Firestone radials.

1st run - 16.02 / 88.8 MPH. 60 Foot 2.93

Two weeks later, no changes just been down the 1/4 track about 12 times.

13th run - 14.44 / 93.4 MPH. 50 Foot 2.01

• Sponsors (?)

My first pass was back in 2003 in my buddys stock 96 cobra. It was on street tires and my 60' was horrible, I think I went 14.6 @98 or so. But it was freaking awesome and a huge adrenaline rush. It's been a few years since I made a pass, I think my last one was in the same buddys 04 Mach 1 with 4.10 gears. It's much faster than the cobra was, I ran a traction limited 13.6 @108.

Went to the track yesterday July 12th and made my very first pass ever. I'm 42 years old. I went 13.95 with almost 2.4 60 ft and 103 mph on my first pass. My best was a 13.70 at almost 106 mph and a 2.1 60 ft. I didn't get a clean pass at all. On street tires 245 45 17's. Either missed 3rd or 4th, came outta the hole way to slow(first time at track, didn't know how hard I could leave) or having to lift cause of traction. I think after I get my DR's I should be able to hit a low 13 or high 12. That's the goal anyway.. I will have some videos up shortly. It seemed like my best 60 ft was my very last pass I left hard and got a 2.1(pretty close to 2.2 tho)and spun in second pretty hard had to lift and ran a 13.71.. My first pass was .8 reaction time but after that I was .2 to .4 reaction time. IT WAS GREAT FUN! I'm addicted...

Went to the track yesterday July 12th and made my very first pass ever. I'm 42 years old. I went 13.95 with almost 2.4 60 ft and 103 mph on my first pass. My best was a 13.70 at almost 106 mph and a 2.1 60 ft. I didn't get a clean pass at all. On street tires 245 45 17's. Either missed 3rd or 4th, came outta the hole way to slow(first time at track, didn't know how hard I could leave) or having to lift cause of traction. I think after I get my DR's I should be able to hit a low 13 or high 12. That's the goal anyway.. I will have some videos up shortly. It seemed like my best 60 ft was my very last pass I left hard and got a 2.1(pretty close to 2.2 tho)and spun in second pretty hard had to lift and ran a 13.71.. My first pass was .8 reaction time but after that I was .2 to .4 reaction time. IT WAS GREAT FUN! I'm addicted...
Awesome so addicting right ? I want build a track :taco: just to beat up so I don't beat my car up lol

My first pass came against a friend of mine who was also making his first pass. Me in my '90 LX with 3.73, shifter, shorty headers and catback. He had an '89 GT with similar mods 4.10 & pullies. From the moment it was our turn to stage my adrenaline was through the roof. Looking down that 1/4-mile for the first time was almost surreal. Long story short; we were both so bad that I'm surprised we didn't get a standing ovation on our way back to the pits. Needless to say though it was an awesome feeling. something I had been looking forward to for years. Neither of us managed to break into the 13's but after our initial 15 second run we were both turning very low 14's.

The best part is how quickly expectations can change once you're out in the real world instead of magazine racing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My first trip down the 1320' was in a 71 Olds Cutlass. Rocket 350 with automatic trans. I staged the rear tires. The the chick with the start button had to walk forward and back me up. I ran mid 14's.

Later in the day, I remember getting real ticked when I got eliminated by a white 5.0 Fox. I didn't under stand how bracket racing worked. I beat the guy down the track and even got closer to my dial in than he did. I marched up to the tower with my complaint only to be educated by an official about reaction times. The dude in the 5.0 cut an .033 light. My reaction was at .4 and that's what gave him the advantage and win.

Later that day a guy came up to me and said, "if wait till you see the green, it's too late. Leave as son as you see the third yellow" Too bad I had to wait until next outing to try the newly learned strategy.

Reactions: 1 user
This exactly!!!
It deffinitley humbles you a bit when you realize what it actually takes to run those times after the pass . but then it's like main lining dope because your ready to rebuild the whole car after that pass just to go that much faster .

Reactions: 1 users