Your Opinion On How This Would Sound..

Haha.. i wanted to ask you guys what you think of my friends stang..hes got an '01..hes got a magnaflow x-pipe, magnaflow cat-back,but he replaced those mufflers with glass packs, and a MAC intake..

Keep your opinions coming on my car too, though!

• Sponsors (?)

highvolts said:
Two things...

1) Exhaust is not enough to crap on rice burners, sadly enough some guys/ladies actually spend a lot of money and time on their "ricers" and can possibly whoop all over our gt's :shrug:

2) Be carefull waking up your entire neighborhood. You may wake up one morning with slashed tires or a brick thru your windows :(

-J

highvolts..how true that is..luckil i live in a very small town were basically everyone knows everyone (but we still have to lock the doors..lol) and believe me I know, exhaust isnt enough..actually to a muscle car, exhaust means crap if you don't do anything else, that's why I plan on installing a racing cam, replacing the spark plugs, the rocker arms, and MAYBE getting solid lifters (might be too much maintenance with those lifters), i also plan on getting a new pully system, heavy duty clutch, and maybe trans (might be too much $), and putting in 4:56 gears with an overdrive (just so i won't be doing 45 miles an hour at 4500 RPM..

04DarkShadowGT said:
That clip of nitro lew's car is just SLP o/r X and Cat back. He still has stock manifolds, however he has stage II cams. Yours wont sound like that without the wild cams.

Thanks for the info..however I 'm putting in headers, and instead of an x (even if it is off road) im going straight pipes, and I also plan on putting in a serious racing camshaft too, so don't worry, mine will be even more insane..thanks again for straightening up what he had

04DarkShadowGT said:
To be honest I really doubt there will be much sound difference between straight pipes and x pipes. With an X you will make more power than straight. At least thats what I have read anyway.

now, don't take anything i say offensively and i dont want to start an argument, but how can an x pipe give you more power than straight pipes?? its all in the name..in an x pipe, the exhaust has to cross, while in straight it just goes straight back, no crossing, no muffling just straight back..but if you have a link or something that says that the x pipe gives more power, send it..that interests me..on the sound front, you are most likely right, there may not be a huge sound difference, but i would think there would be more power?? maybe i'm wrong..i'm not sure..but if you have a link please do send.

Albizo66 said:
Thanks for the info..however I 'm putting in headers, and instead of an x (even if it is off road) im going straight pipes, and I also plan on putting in a serious racing camshaft too, so don't worry, mine will be even more insane..thanks again for straightening up what he had

I believe straight pipes will actually make less power than an H or X pipe.

Purebred said:
I believe straight pipes will actually make less power than an H or X pipe.

Once again, I don't believe you..if you adjust the back pressure from the engine with the straight pipes i dont think there can be any way that the exahust going through a pipe that has to cross ( x or h) can give you more power then just flowing straight back. I mean isn't it commen sense? the quickest way to someplace is in a straight line..with straight pipes the exhaust is going in a straight line, while in an x or h, it has to cross in the x or go inbetween in an h.

highvolts said:
There is a thing called too much flow ;)

Then why do race-cars run straight headers?

Isn't that more flow than straight pipes? Yes, it is. If you adjust the engine for the backpressure you will be fine. And there is now way it can be less power then an x or h.

Albizo66 said:
now, don't take anything i say offensively and i dont want to start an argument, but how can an x pipe give you more power than straight pipes?? its all in the name..in an x pipe, the exhaust has to cross, while in straight it just goes straight back, no crossing, no muffling just straight back..but if you have a link or something that says that the x pipe gives more power, send it..that interests me..on the sound front, you are most likely right, there may not be a huge sound difference, but i would think there would be more power?? maybe i'm wrong..i'm not sure..but if you have a link please do send.

www.drgas.com

go to the articles - that explains what an X pipe does and why it's the best.

And as far as sound, straight pipes compared to an X will sound A LOT different. The straight pipes will sound loud and rough - more like a classic muscle car sound. An X pipe will quiet it down AND smooth out and clean up the tone significantly.

You won't feel any noticeable power gains between the crossover pipes and the straight pipes - I think it is just the sound that will be the main factor

Actually I believe the cross over (x or h) is meant to cancel out the exhaust pulses caused when each cylinder fires. These pulses can actually suck exhaust back into the engine decreasing power. The cross over will scavange the exhaust and sort of suck the exhaust out.

I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that is correct.

There is a reason aftermarket companies dont sell staight pipes isntead of an X or H because it certainly would be cheaper to manufacture and if it made more power all the better.

Albizo66 said:
And there is now way it can be less power then an x or h.

actually there is. Its like someone bolting a 3.5" catback on their stang and wondering why in the hell their car feels slower after the install and why they have moroe trouble spinning their tires. straight pipes are going to hurt your performance. an o/r xpipe will make your car sound bad ass and give you better performance. Clear out your email (big video) and I will send you a clip of my car w/ o/rxpipe and 40 series flows. PM me w/ ur email if you want to hear it.

I'm not saying that an X or H pipe won't help the car, or make it soudn great, b/c my friend has an x pipe and he added 8 horsepower and his stang sounds great with it. Its just that there is no way the exhaust going straight out is going to decrease the power. I know the noise difference will be vastly different b/c the x pipe smooths it out (which i dont want) but there is no way the exhaust can get sucked BACK INTO the engine once it goes out, its staying out..read th article from that link, it explains all..the only thing an x pipe does is tone down the noise. Straight pipes will give you a ballsy classic muscle car sound, BUT WILL NOT , i repeat WILL NOT decrease horsepower..

Still don't believe me??

Then why the hell do professional race cars run STRAIGHT headers??

streetstang03 said:
NASCARs run xpipes

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! Do You Even Watch NASCAR?? You Can Clearly See That The Car Is Running Straight Headers!!! Not Nascar? Then What About Funny Cars?? Pro-Stock?? ALL OF THEM RUN STRAIGHT HEADERS! Believe me, I like x pipes, but straight pipes sound more ballsy (if you like that type of sound, which I do) and it adds more power because it is running straight through not getting crossed over.

"you need to hear some bassani X w/ flows. that sounds like lucifer himself is sitting in the engine screaming at you"

Oh, believe me man, I've heard them, they sound real bad ass, I know..i'm not saying that x pipes dont give it a good sound, because they do..its just that straight pipes are even louder, more gurgly, and ballsy..once again you have to like that kind of sound, like i do...

Albizo66 said:
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! Do You Even Watch NASCAR?? You Can Clearly See That The Car Is Running Straight Headers!!! Not Nascar? Then What About Funny Cars?? Pro-Stock?? ALL OF THEM RUN STRAIGHT HEADERS! Believe me, I like x pipes, but straight pipes sound more ballsy (if you like that type of sound, which I do) and it adds more power because it is running straight through not getting crossed over.

i forgot, your a sophomore in high school.....you know everything :rolleyes:

Funny Cars: they have 1000+ hp than our cars, they are designed for racing not driving around town, the list goes on and on.

If you just want all out sound just get long tubes and install some turndown tips after the flange, then it couldnt possibly get any louder.

After you do come back and tell us how she performs down low when your car falls on its face because you are losing so much low end torque.