Your opinion on other stangs...

StripedALLOY

Apr 27, 2007
Baytown, TX
For those of you who have owned (or still own) other mustangs, how do they compare? My first mustang was a mineral gray 02 v6. I loved the way it looked especially w/ 10th anniversary cobra wheels. Just didn't have enough power and for the money I figure I would get a new GT. Actually I went looking for an 03-04 cobra. :drool: but I arrived just in time to see the lucky guy drive it off the lot, so I took the 07 for a spin and ive been hooked ever since!

• Sponsors (?)

I have owned:

98 3.8L - enjoyed it and loved the body style - good daily driver.
03 GT - sufficient HP/TQ - Was not a huge fan of the new edge body style and the control arm set-up pissed me off. lol
05 4.0L - plenty of pep - nice shift points on the 5 speed auto. Didn't own it long enough to make performance modifications except a single axle back.

All in all they are all nice. No complaints.

If it was me, I would continue to wait for a Terminator. lol Good luck on the quest.

~J~

04 GT Auto- Its in the sig. First car for me ever so it was great. I miss her. I still go on the the car dealership's website to see if it has sold yet. They are asking 19.6k for it with 24k miles. I sold it to them for 13.3k

Ran a 13.6 with it and was happier than ever but it got boring after a while.

At 21 I had a '92 LX 5.0 hatchback(5 speed)-Flows, Centerforce clutch and Weld Drag Lites. It was by far the fastest I had driven at that point. I enjoyed the power, but the interior was dated. Had it 5 years until it was stolen in Daytona Beach halfway through my honeymoon.
Four days after the '92 was stolen, we got back to VA and that day bought a '95 GT(auto). The wife wanted this one for her so that was why the auto. Put Flows, tint and a shift kit in it, but it just felt/looked(exterior-the white didn't help that at all)boring, but the interior was a nice improvement. In Dec '99, traded it in on '00 GT 5 speed. That was an awesome car! It looked alot tougher than the previous Stangs and had alot more power:D All I did to it was Flows, Eibach springs and tint. It was a joy to drive around and felt pretty fast(more so than the '92-despite being heavier). Got rid of it in the fall of '03 for a new house. When I saw the first pics of the '05 hit the magazines, I fell in love instantly! I had to have one, but how:shrug: Well it took me 3 years, but I got my '06 auto last August:nice: I loved it the moment I drove off the lot! It was faster than the '00 and felt better! I've added several mods now and I love it even more and by far better than the other 3 combined. It looks great inside/out and has power(not enough, but is there ever?).

My first and only other car was a 2000 V6 Mustang. I bought it brand new with my own money before I even turned 16, 100% cash straight up. I loved it to death and I miss her, but my new Mustang makes it a lot easier to miss her. I definately shed a tear or two the night before I got rid of her. The day I actually handed over the keys, however, was incredibly easy when I knew the 08 was coming in a few hours. By the time I was done with it, the V6 definately looked more aggressive in my eyes, but the 08 looks cooler. All in all though, the 08 BLOWS the 00 out of the water. Not even a remote comparison, especially since I got a nearly fully loaded premium.

As much as I love this car though, I don't see myself keeping it for more than a year, two if I'm lucky. I'll either upgrade to a special edition Mustang (depending on what they bring out) or if I make it to the two years, it'll be an upgrade to a Corvette or a Porsche. Who knows though.

I've had a 90LX, 98GT, and a 05v6.

The 98 was a pig but a really nice car. I never got a chance to modd it up since it was wrecked, but I'd still be sporting it.

The 05 is a really nice daily driver, very classy and has a little go for just being a v6. It's also an auto so that adds to the ease of daily driving but takes a lot of fun out of it.

The 90 I still have and had this car the longest. It has plenty of mods and will probably never have enough. It's by far the most fun to drive, but not so much all the time.

Overall, I'd pick my foxbody, but when I'm going into town for a classy evening...it's the 05.

Fred

I started with an 89 coupe and miss that car greatly, sold that for the 95, and the 95 I was lucky to put 1k miles on it the first 2 1/2 years I had it, did a 5 speed swap and fixed the a/c and it ended up being my daily driver (03 s10 just sat in the drive way for about a 9 mths) sold the truck for that reason and since it was paid off I was planning on putting the money down for an 03-04 cobra or a new full size truck and reality kicked in since I drive right at 100 miles a day and wife talked me into looking at new mustangs, drove one an liked it and haven't regretted it since. As far as which car I enjoy driving more, it'd have to be the 95 oddly enough...just nice to have the torque and the trans/clutch (tremec/mcleod) feels much better than the 07, that and and the sound. Plans are to build a motor slowly on the side for the 95 but I keep finding small things I want for the new car and my wife is starting to regret her decision for talking me out of a truck :lol:

85 gt, bought it when I just turned 23, I'd always loved mustangs (but could never afford one), a friend found it for me and I fell in love with Four Eyes, a blast to drive. I restored it to about 60 percent then needed the money. Sold it in 04 and swore that when I could afford a brand new one I'd get it. Bought my 07 three weeks ago and I cant stop looking at it, no comparison to my four eyed rattle box. I stay awake at night dreaming of the mods to come this winter.

I've been driving, working on, modifying and generally lovin' the heck out of Mustangs since high school (I graduated in 1968 so that's says a lot). I haven't been without one since then. I've had a '67 w/ 289 A code auto, a '73 w/ 351 Cleveland auto, a '74 w/ a 2.3 4-speed, an '85 GT 5.0 5-speed , and a 67 S code 4-speed to name a few. They were all great cars for their time. My 2 favorites were the '67 S code, it was a torque monster that left really hard but was nose heavy and didn't handle too well in the curves and the other favorite was the '85 GT 5.0 that was nimble and quick enough to be a blast on the street but didn't have the 'Mustang look' to me.

My '07 is so much better in every way to any of those other classics that it's not really fair to compare. I really like the fact that it has the classic looks (inside and out) and that makes me feel very comfortable with it. The interior is 10X more comfortable than any except the '85 (it's only 3X more comfortable than that one). Performance wise it is just flat out better than them all in every way; it's faster, quicker, brakes better, corners better.

The old classic Mustangs bring the heritage and DNA that makes this current one so great but if I had to pick the best then it's the 05-08 hands down:hail2:

Never owned another Stang but have driven a few as rentals for extended periods of time.

New Edge V6 - Was a complete dog!!!
S197 V6 - was very surprised with this one.
05 GT - Was the DiabloSport company car when I worked there. This thing made me wan't an S197 ;)

Only my 2nd Stang. The previous one was a 1981 3.3 Ghia which handled well but was hampered by constantly trying to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I've had a 1985 Vette (hooligan), 1987 Camaro Z28 (underpowered), '98 Camaro Z28 (loved it) and an 02 Z06 (too good to be fun?). I think the Camaro is still the one I have most affection for as it was a daily driver for 4 years but this supercharged 05 is as good as and as fast as the C5 Z06. It's perhaps not as great a leap forward over the '98 Z28 as I would have liked but it's all relative.

1st car was a 65 coupe, 289 4-speed. Loved it
2nd was a 65 fastback 6 cyl, converted to a 289, it was allright.
3rd was a 67 Shelby GT500 4-speed, wish I still had it.Best car I ever had!
4th was a 71 coupe, 302 3-speed. Not bad.
Then a 67 GT fastback, 390 auto, still have,compareable to the Shelby, somewhat?
2001 GT 4_speed, 3rd best>
Now a 06 GT auto, 2nd best.
Also owned a 83 GT, 4-Speed.
Trying to make my 06 better than the Shelby, but don't know if i ever will.

I had an 88 5.0 LX hatch (love that body style) when I was 15-16.

Great engine, everything else around the car stunk and usually broke but man did it sound nice. Unfortunately on a wet road the car took itself out of its misery and slid into a tree I've missed it ever since. Problem with those (fox) chassis is flimsy and the suspension is sketchy at best, over the years they fixed the chassis problems but the supension is still the biggest question mark on these cars.

Fortunately the S197's new platform addressed a lot of issues but frankly there's plenty more to go on the suspension. At least the steering works!

Still I'd love to get myself into the driver's seat of a Shelby GT350 and take it out for a spin around the track (the type with curves), I hear those were straight up mean road racing cars.

1967 mustang convertable, 289, auto.
1967 mustang fastback, 289, 4-speed.
1968 mustack GT fastback, 428 CJ, 4-speed.
1969 mustang mach 1, 428 CJ, 4-speed
2007 mustang GT, 281, 5-speed- believe it or not, the 07 is the quickest stock stang that I've owned, howevr, the 428's were tire shredding champions with all that torque.

I've had an 83 and an 88 notch. Loved them both, but now with the 05, I love it even more. It's the best year since 67.

I didn't like the look of the 94 or 96 body style, mainly because I was sad to see the fox go. I didn't like the new edge because I didn't fit in them. They had no leg room.

I don't think the mustang should have an IRS. It would take away from the muscle car feel.

My first was a 95 v6 auto (SO SLOW, you could put it in drive and it would go backwards.

My second was a 00 v6 5 speed (managed 14.9x's with nothing but a filter and gas pedal mod)

My 3rd was a 91 lx 5.0 5 speed (GOD I miss that car!!) It was very useful being a hatchback.

And Now Im in my 06 GT 5 speed. I WANTED a terminator because of the motor, but my wife wanted the s197, and then I got stuck driving it. BUT She has definately grown on me and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world right now. (Except MAYBE a gt500) :shrug: