Mach 1 Your opinion or 2 cents

A good friend of mine has a cherry Charcoal Mach 1 and is contemplating on trading it in on a new white GT500 with a red stripe. The dealer told him it is a limited paint scheme. He asked my opinion of the collectability of both cars, on which I guess would be most likely to increase in value. I know, you cannot by a vehicle expecting it to increase invalue. Thats why I leaned towards the conservative side and told him you have your toy, enjoy it. But, I just thought I'd throw the question on here to see what you guys and gals think. Any opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

Dark Shadow Gray is the color of his Mach. I suppose if I had the money to throw around I would probably buy the GT500, but I would'nt pay the mark-up their asking. I'd only buy it if I could get it for MSRP. With the Shelby name attached to it, I'm sure it will be a collectible because of the name alone. The Mach has the potential of future collectiblility but it's way too early to tell. I'm done swappin Mustangs for other Mustangs. My Mach is it.

I agree with the two posters above me. Both will be collectable, though the Cobra will probably be more so. I'm happy with my Mach and I don't really care if it will go up in value or not since I hope to never have to part with it.

There was a limited number of Mach 1's built during its two year run. With every car that gets taken out due to wrecks or whatever, makes the remaining ones a little more valuable. Nobody can say with any authority what will happen a few years down the road, but the 03/04 Mach 1's stand a fairly good chance of being a collectible commodity at some point.

The Shelby GT500 is kind of an enigma to me. Although it has the Shelby name on it, it is produced entirely in-house by Ford/SVT, and Shelby Automobiles never touches it. Whereas the little Shelby GT actually passes through the Las Vegas assembly facility of Shelby Automobiles, so I would think it has a better chance of becoming a pure collectible down the road, but that's just my opinion.

Now the upcoming 08 Shelby GT500 KR and the Super Snake, which Shelby does the upgrades on, they will most definitely be collectible, and very expensive to get your hands on!

I believe that you should also keep in mind that most Mach owners have already modified/personalized their car. I think the status of the Machs as a future collectable will be based on how close to factory stock they are and also the actual mileage. The same questions were also asked about another vehicle I used to own, the Mustang SVO.

Jose Ybarra
www.salsspeedshop.com

ResizeWizard-1-3.jpg