Your thoughts on exhaust

Longer

Jun 10, 2006
I know this topic has probably been beat to death and I did search, but just wanted some opinions.
99 GT with all the boltons. I have a BBK O/R H with flowmasters. One or both of the flows is rattling like mad. Its internal, something is busted loose. They are welded in and were on the car when I acquired it, not sure if they are 40's or not. I am going to cut them out and replace and just wanted some opinions on make and model to put back in. The flows are loud as hell at freeway speeds with 4.10's, major drone.

I ordered from Randy for the first time today, thanks to those that pointed me in his direction. Great guy, I wish I would have found him about a year ago when I was rebuilding this thing.

• Sponsors (?)

The tailpipes are still in really good condition, all of the exhaust is really good condition, minus the rattling flow. The rattle isnt coming from anything else, its literally something loose inside the flow itself. Maybe a little quieter, but I like the throaty sound at take off, something these flows are lacking. I was thinking of going with something different, just because it seems like every stang has flows.

I have the mac o/r h, and magnapacks. How different would it sound if i put the regular magnaflow mufflers in?

It wouldn't sound like a machine gun going off when you hit the gas anymore - :D

I had Packs with an O/R H and LT's and switched out the catback after 1 week of driving, I prefer a deep toned exhaust note rather than the AK-47 variety. I swapped to the Magnaflow traditional catback and LOVED it, that was one of my favorite exhaust setups. But again that was with LT's, which deepen the tone a bit.

If you put Magnapacks on a car with an H pipe it will sound like a truck with glasspacks.

Id go with a chambered muffler, or at least a "turbo" style that isnt straight through.

Regular Magnaflow's are nice, and Mac's sound amazing (in my opinion), but they will drone a little less than Flowmasters.

Edelbrock and Hooker also offer nice chambered mufflers... you can find them cheap enough at Summit Racing.

Remember, sound is a subjective thing. I for one am running the most hated combo on Stangnet, o/r X and a chambered muffler... I also had the stock H and no mufflers which would sound sort of close to Magnapacks and an H pipe and I loved that sound also.

I cut the flows out last night. I was partly right about the rattle. It was busted loose inside, inside of both of them. Literally everything inside of them was just rattling around in there, if it wouldve fit through the opening everything would have fallen out. Basically like straight pipes. I weled in Hooker Aero Chambers. Much more quieter than my empty flows. Yet really deep at take off, no drone & no rattle when cruising at 3k rpms. I am very pleased.

I cut the flows out last night. I was partly right about the rattle. It was busted loose inside, inside of both of them. Literally everything inside of them was just rattling around in there, if it wouldve fit through the opening everything would have fallen out. Basically like straight pipes. I weled in Hooker Aero Chambers. Much more quieter than my empty flows. Yet really deep at take off, no drone & no rattle when cruising at 3k rpms. I am very pleased.

I was going to ask if you knew what model flows you had (if you knew), but I guess that doesnt matter anymore.

So many people complain of the drone, but my little bit of drone has never been an issue. The RPM range is so small that it happens in, and even still its not really bad. I can hear my music just fine, and I dont blast it. Conversations are no problem either. I have the super 40's that came with the catback...I'd imagine most of the drone complaints come from those with the original 40's.

I believe they were original 40's, 40 was stamped on them, but no Super anywhere. I am certain my drone was more than most complain about. I was okay with it for awhile, but it got to the point where I was worried about the attention it was getting. I could cruise slowly through a parking lot and set off car alarms, sat off the alarm at the local drugstore one night too. It was bad. Now its all good. :D