Your thoughts on oil treatments?

RysRed96GT

I like it FURRY!!!
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
Pasadena, MD
are they good, bad, neutral? i have 105K miles and just thought i'd try some, didnt think it would hurt. but then again it burns no oil as it is. and this is a dumb question but the added viscosity of it doesnt hurt performance does it? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

RysRed96GT said:
are they good, bad, neutral? i have 105K miles and just thought i'd try some, didnt think it would hurt. but then again it burns no oil as it is. and this is a dumb question but the added viscosity of it doesnt hurt performance does it? :shrug:

Most oil treatments are snake oil. No need to get technical here or anything. Correct me if Im wrong, but dont you use fully synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil anyway ? I only ask because I could swear I seen you post this once. I could be wrong though. If I am right though, then just stick with the fully synthetic. If not, then Ide switch to High mileage motor oil at your next oil change.

Just another way to remove hard earned bucks from your pocket.
We have an old clunker that burns a bit of oil. Instead of an adaptive to help prevent oil burn we just add 1/2 quart of 50 weight oil once in a while, seems to slow down the oil burn at about 1/4 the cost of an additive.
I also second just changing oil and filter on a regular basis. Best regular maintenance you can do for any engine.

i change my oil and filter every 3-5K miles with mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 and motorcraft filter. i just figured i'd try the STP oil treatment because it said it would quiet the engine...didnt think it would hurt and it only cost 2 bucks :shrug:

In laws van has 130k on chevy 350. Has little blow by when first started. Started using Valvoline high mileage oil. No more blow by. So I think high milage motor oils might actually be good for high milage motors. No scientific proof but no blue smoke when started anymore works for me.