Yup, another one of those threads......

mustang70

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
San Diego
Desktop Dyno seems to be lowballing me with the combo I have planned. So I was wondering what you guys thought. I'm going to be running a 351W stroked to 427ci, AFR 205 heads, Victor Jr. manifold, Demon 750 mechanical secondary carb, Comp solid roller cam with .670" intake/.718" exhaust and 270* intake/284* exhaust. I know everyone is going to say the cam is huge. I got a good deal on it and I'm not totally commited to it just yet. This is just what I'm looking at right now. Oh, compression should be around 10:1. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

10:1 will probably require flat top pistons, and with that much lift on the cam, you'll more than likely have to flycut them, but that's no problem.
Use a big fuel delivery system and a large exhaust system.

Well, I am rebuilding a 427w that came out of my bronco and it's going in my 65. I was going to go with the 205's but after speaking to several well known engine builders ( Troy @ FPS and Keith Craft) I bought the AFR 225's instead........something you might want to consider..........

Chris Barton

That big of cam will require a much higher cr. Consult the manufacturer. Sounds like a parts eater if you drive it on the street. Money to support that serious of a cam may make it not such a good deal. Would not be my choice.

I don't think you can trust Desktop Dyno to account for all the aftermarket possibilities out there.

Horsepower is just a number anyway. Not sure why people get so worked up about it.

Like I said, I'm not totally commited to that cam yet. It's not like it would be too hard to sell it if I needed to. I thought about going with the 225's instead, but when I was talking to AFR they never even mentioned them. I'm not bolting this motor in front of a stock C4. I'm building up the rest of the drivetrain to match it.

As for the numbers thing, I'm not building this to impress everyone. I'm building it because it's what I want and I have a goal in mind. This is my car and it really doesn't bother me what other people think about. Heck, I've been told my car is ugly before. Whataya gonna do? :shrug:

From what I've read, DD is best for a comparison of two setups.. ie: will cam X make more power than cam Y? So while you may not get the hard numbers, you'll be able to tell whether the huge lift and duration you're planning will be useful.

Also, I've heard that plugging in the actual flow numbers for the heads from the manufacturer will probably give more accurate results.

I just figured since I have it apart and I have the time I might as well do it the way I want. I'm tired of having a mediocore street rod. So I'm going to do the brakes, engine, tranny, rear end, etc..... I'll let you know if I need you to make a trip to Diego. :banana: