zinc plated rotors

bill302

Nov 2, 2005
alabama,gadsden
i just bought some drilled and slotted rotors they say there zinc plated to prevent rust....does anyone have rotors that are zinc plated and if so does it prevent rust or is it a good idea to paint them with a high heat paint...

• Sponsors (?)

I'd imagine the zinc washed would hold up better, but I painted mine with caliper paint. They have around 600 miles on them, in about 2 months. They rusted near the edges of where the brake pads contact but seems to be holding up everywhere else.

The zinc coating does a decent job preventing rust.

Just a little note however, first time you use the brakes the zinc coating will be swept from the area of the rotor the pad contacts. That means anytime they get wet they will rust up in the spot. However next time you use the brakes the rust will be scraped off again

Mustang5L5 said:

Just a little note however, first time you use the brakes the zinc coating will be swept from the area of the rotor the pad contacts. That means anytime they get wet they will rust up in the spot. However next time you use the brakes the rust will be scraped off again

does that end up with half the rotor being silver and half being gold?

5L5 is talking about something like this:

rims1.jpg

Attachments

• rims1.jpg
    rims1.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 108
Mustang5L5 said:

thanks for the info. so what your saying it will not be necessary to paint